What miniatures do you use for Westerners?

pachristian

6 hours ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

Ooh, I love the helmet. It looks a bit northern European dark ages-y, but combined with the horse, I'm getting a vague Byzantine feeling. Which is probably incorrect, but hey.

Entirely un-canonical, but in attempting to find a way of differentiating between Seshnelan and Ralian cataphracts, I tend to give the former face masks (with the conceit that they were originally adopted to counter Enerali horse archers who, confronted by heavily armored Seshnegi proto-cataphracts, would shoot them in the face as the only exposed area) and the latter 'spectacle helmets' (with the conceit that the style dates back to Arkat's assaults on Kartolin, when armor was often enhanced to counter missiles, so this serves to strengthen the helmet from dropped rocks). The Safelstran's armor is a mixture of Scythian, Parthian, and Sassanid, and... something else.

The 'spectacles' aren't entirely un-canonical, because the Tournament King of Kustria owns a set of dwarven-made armor which includes brass spectacles, so I conjectured that they might be a Ralian style. The armour description in the Guide was, I suspect, based on the gift of pageant armor given to Henry VIII by the Holy Roman Emperor Maximilian I in 1511.

Edited by M Helsdon