RQG image captions

jrutila

53 minutes ago, MylesC said:

Please do add captions in the final hardcover. So much is going on in some of the illustrations that I want to know more about.

I don't think we will see that as I think it's been noted that the book has already gone to the printers in order to be available at GenCon.  Suggest a new thread for questions, speculations, and thoughts on the illustrations.

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 1:39 PM, jrutila said:

description for the page 22, for example.

On the edges are the members of the Celestial Court who held the Power Runes.  These are the Powers that influence the body/mind.

Left side, working down:

• Fertility Rune: Uleria
  • Stasis Rune: Acos
  • Truth Rune: Orenoar
  • Harmony Rune: Harana Ilor

Right side, working down:

• Death Rune:  Kargan Tor
  • Movement Rune: Larnste
  • Illusion Rune:  Tylenea
  • Disorder Rune:  Ratslaff

Through the center are the Elemental and Form Runes (in relation to Man), and associated figures.

• Spirit Rune: Horned Man - the spirit
  • Fire/Sky Rune:  Dayzatar - the power of the Mind/Sight/Eyes
  • Moon Rune:  Red Goddess - the power of Magic/Pineal Gland (IIRC)
  • Storm Rune:  Orlanth - the power of Breath and Strength/Lungs
  • Water Rune:  Lorion/Blue Dragon - the power of Blood and the Heart
  • Darkness Rune:  Kyger Litor - the power of Digestion and the Guts
  • Earth Rune:  Ernalda - the power of Reproduction
  • Beast Rune:  Hykim - possibly representing the body or animal instincts

4 minutes ago, canology said:

Anyone have any idea what the illo on pg 123 is supposed to be?

The Sable riders fleeing past Vulture's Country and into the wastelands. (I think specifically fleeing into vulture county. They're driving their herd while some watch guard.The woman in the foreground is looking to the lands they are being forced to.

36 minutes ago, canology said:

Ah, I never remembered reading about giant stone heads and petrified humanoids coming out of the cliffs, that was what was confusing me...

Considering the size of both Vulture's Country and the Wastes, I'm sure there's plenty of local detail we haven't seen.  

p.122 notes "With the defeat of the Lunar Empire in 1624, the Sable Tribe lost their ascendency and many have fled past Vulture’s Country into the Wastes."

5 hours ago, canology said:

Ah, I never remembered reading about giant stone heads and petrified humanoids coming out of the cliffs, that was what was confusing me...

Prax is littered with them, really. Remnants of old gods and spirits, dead or petrified and broken.

Most of the pictures seem pretty easy to follow if you either follow the Vasana's saga things on the side, or read. Except for like, pg. 22 (mentioned) and probably pg. 12. (at least as far as exact identities of everything there. I'm probably going to look really stupid and say, TBH, I'm not sure of them all. (Mostly the light on top of the spike, is that Taraltara?)

Though the pg. 20 image of the Lightbringers Quest... I... never thought Flesh Man would look like how I generally envision Teelo Norri. I guess a mortal would look small and weak next to gods, but he's so sad he makes me think he's a frumpy little girl.

1 hour ago, Madrona said:

Though the pg. 20 image of the Lightbringers Quest... I... never thought Flesh Man would look like how I generally envision Teelo Norri. I guess a mortal would look small and weak next to gods, but he's so sad he makes me think he's a frumpy little girl.

One of the things I like with this picture is that it challenges some of our prior notions as to what these characters may look like.  Alternately, it may be that this is simply one group of questers on the Lightbringer's Path.

1 hour ago, Madrona said:

probably pg. 12. (at least as far as exact identities of everything there.

This also appears in the Glorantha Sourcebook, p.66. The caption there reads:

This fresco is from the City of Wonders and depicts the deities of the Celestial Court and the Great Elementals.
Top row: Glorantha; Second Row: Ouroboros; Third Row: The Celestial Court — Uleria, Orenoar, Harana Ilor, Acos, Larnste, Ratslaf, Tylenea, Kargan Tor.; Fourth Row: Yelm.; Fifth Row: Umath; Sixth Row: Gata, flanked by Genert and Pamalt, and the various land goddesses.; Seventh Row: Zaramaka, with Daliath, Sramake, and Framanthe.; Eighth Row: Dame Darkness, Nakala, encompassing the Father of Demons and the Mother of Space.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jajagappa said:

I don't think we will see that as I think it's been noted that the book has already gone to the printers in order to be available at GenCon.  Suggest a new thread for questions, speculations, and thoughts on the illustrations.

That's a pity, as the book would benefit from the tribal errata sweep and from captions to the lovely illustrations. In their absence, I agree that a separate thread identifying them would be great.

• Like 1