Your first RQG character

Noita

What has been your first character you have built with the new rules?

Mine is a Black Fang Duck Bandit in the Big Rubble with a Passion of hate Argrath at 90%. I will be doing my best to kill that annoying Human €#&# before he ruins my Glorantha ;) 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I have an unnamed Old Tarshite warrior that I made about an hour after downloading the game. Currently I'm working on recreating my first Runequest character, Sartarite townsman Hizla Vurmak, who sadly died to an arbalest in a tree during his first adventure. I think my next character will be converting my first ever character, Helm Dundragon, ex-war wizard and excessive drinker extraordinaire.

Now my next problem is actually finding a game so I can play these guys...

Edited by Richard S.
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Lukoi Oathtaker, Initiate of Humakt

"I am oathsworn to Humakt to never lie. I have no love for killing"
"I needed to be a warrior, so I picked up Death. Being at my bench, making beautiful things is better than killing"
"Move your hips with your sword arm. Fight with your whole body"

Humakt Geas Never Lie. Humakt Gift +1 Strength

Lukoi is a reluctant Humakti, with little connection to Death (but much to Truth). She took up the Sword to fight the Lunar Empire and liberate Sartar, and this has been done and she did her duty in it, and now she is finding her life.

Her grandfather, the bandit Fortos, was eaten by the Crimson Bat at Boldhome in 1602 and his soul was lost. Following this, her mother Endorai was adopted into the Culbrea and became a jeweler, working in Jonstown. After fighting in Starbrow's Rebellion and in the Hendriking campaign, she died of Creeping Chills in 1620.
Lukoi inherited her workbench and tools, but took up the sword at Auroch Hills. She was driven insane by Lunes at the siege of Nochet, and was present with Argrath at the simmoning of Jaldon Goldentooth and the Dragonrise. She witnessed the liberation of Sartar and the installation of Kallyr as Prince of Sartar. The Lunar Empire being defeated and Sartar being liberated, she is heading home to Jonstown.
She is an initiate of Humakt, and is under a geas to never lie. She is completely candid about having no passion for Humakt or for killing - the fight against the Lunar Empire needed her to pick up a sword, and so she did those things that would make her most effective with it.
She is tall, blonde and slim. Her health is not good, and she fears that she will die of plague as her mother did.
She is meticulous about fufilling her cult obligations, working for one afternoon a week and donating 10% of her income to the closest Humakt temple. This work is often training lay members in swordsmanship and shieldwork, especially those seen as having little passion for the First Sword. She will train non cult members, for the customary rates, and owns a set of wooden swords for this purpose ("Death comes at training too"). It vexes her that she can earn more training swordsmanship - and she is good, at just below the level expected of a Sword of Humakt - than she can making jewelry.
She will, for pay, invoke Humakt's Detect Lie to be part of disputes between merchants.
She has her grandfather's old sword, a finely crafted weapon (13 hp, 1 enc) with a Strength matrix. If the magic is activated, her Strength goes up to 21, and her weapon skills go up by 10 and her damage bonus goes to 1d6. Additionally, she has a wooden medium shield (12 hp, 2 enc), a linen Linothorax (3pt armor, 1 enc), a closed bronze helm (5 pt armor, 1 enc), curiboilli leather greaves (3 pt armor, 1 enc) and cuirboulli vambraces (3 pt armor, 1 enc). Her total combat encumberance is 8, putting her adjusted Dodge at 41%. She will endeavour to cast Strength from the matrix and then Bladesharp on the sword itself, which will boost her Broadsword skill to 105% and the sword's damage to 1d8 + 1d6 +3. Most enemies do not expect a skinny girl to be able to cut through their shield.
While she still has her jeweler's tools and portable work-bench, she does not currently have the stock of precious stones and metals and such needed to work properly, and is out of practice in any case.
Her personal life is greatly impeded by the Oath to Humakt she is under - she cannot, for example, say 'You look good in that'. This vexes her, as she wants a normal life with husband and children.
She has considered taking service as a weaponthane, if it comes with a farm of her own.

Lukoi.xlsx

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Oracle said:

Nice twist. I think, that is the first Humakti I've seen, which is not a dedicated fighter/killer ...

Me too, but she is very Humakti. I'd done her family and personal history, and was going 'Can't find the right cult', and then it hit me.

Truth rune.

Then the dice came up hot on the geas, and she just works :)

The personal and family history really places a new character in the world.

42 minutes ago, Ian_W said:

Me too, but she is very Humakti. I'd done her family and personal history, and was going 'Can't find the right cult', and then it hit me.

Truth rune.

Then the dice came up hot on the geas, and she just works :)

The personal and family history really places a new character in the world.

A character of mine has a similar background (jeweller, truth rune) but after a traumatic experience (in which his Humakti mentor died in a dishonorable attack during a duel) he turned away and later became a sword sage. (I created this character background using Paul Jaquay's "Central Casting" tables. Less data on the family, but that was easy to remedy, but otherwise full of twists one might use.)

Non-elemental rune cults appear to be a lot harder to join (or remain) than elemental ones.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

A friend of mine has so far created three characters, which is nice for me as it provided some great testing for my spreadsheet. None of them have particularly inspired her,  but she insists on rolling everything randomly, eveb when she starts out saying "ok I won't roll everything randomly", she ends up doing so anyway. This way you end up with a lot of "Normal Year" entries. Some of the regions seem particularly prone to this with quite a few -10s on the initial year roll.