Elder Race Cooperation

Richard S.

We know that most of the major elder races hate each other as a group, but on an individual basis humans have been able to interact with and sometimes even befriend trolls, elves, dwarves, and even sometimes dragonnewts, but could a situation like this occur between non-humans? Now I know that there's probably some  bigger underlying mythical reason for this, like since humans only having the man rune as their defining racial rune they can relate to everything with it, but I think it would be pretty neat if we could maybe have some sort of Gloranthan Legolas/Gimli relationship between a young elf not yet settled in his forest and an openhandist or individualist dwarf, or maybe a dwarf/troll team up to clear out a nest cave underground Broo, or even something like a troll dragonfriend.

• Like 1

Examples of Elder Race co-operation.

Jrustela: Trolls, Dwarves and Elves co-existing (seperately).

Black Elves throughout Troll lands.

Dragon Pass: Saw-toothed Korvan adding the Mountain Trolls against the Stinking Forest.

World Council of Friends: Elf, Dwarves, Trolls and Dragonewts.

Empire of Light:  Elves and Dwarves.

Unity County: Trolls and Dragonewts.

New Unity Council: Elves, Trolls, Dwarves and Dragonewts.

Mari Mountains: Vegetarian Dwarves.

Masloi Jungle:  Shadow Trolls fighting alongside the Aldryami.

Kralorela:  Trolls and Dwarves fought against the Kralori (but betrayed each other).

At an individual level it's certainly possible but other elves and dwarves would really be angry at them, probably much more that if you are from a human communauty that hates for example trolls and you befriend one.

Pavic elves and dwarves would probably be ok with it but they don't interact much with each other and they don't seem to be really friendly.

If I were the GM and the players wanted an unusually cosmopolitan party, I'd probably

1) Bring them together someplace where a nasty external threat like Dorastor or The Kingdom of War give them a reason to band together in spite of their cultural antipathy.

2) Have them spends lots of time in more diverse places like Pavis or Nochet.

3) Figure out a problem (perhaps involving the treat in section one) that can only be solved by a group of heroquesters who can embody Heort, Only Old One, Oakhart, Heart of Weakness, etc. to reenact the Unity Battle. 

On 6/19/2018 at 4:41 AM, Richard S. said:

We know that most of the major elder races hate each other as a group, but on an individual basis humans have been able to interact with and sometimes even befriend trolls, elves, dwarves, and even sometimes dragonnewts, but could a situation like this occur between non-humans? Now I know that there's probably some  bigger underlying mythical reason for this, like since humans only having the man rune as their defining racial rune they can relate to everything with it, but I think it would be pretty neat if we could maybe have some sort of Gloranthan Legolas/Gimli relationship between a young elf not yet settled in his forest and an openhandist or individualist dwarf, or maybe a dwarf/troll team up to clear out a nest cave underground Broo, or even something like a troll dragonfriend.

We had trolls, elves and dwarves adventuring together in our RQ2 days. The elf was a Yelornan Unicorn Rider with an obscene Elf Bow skill and Power Arrows that bumped up her shots by one level (Normal to Special, Special to critical and so on) and a huge INT and DEX. The trolls included Derak the Dark troll, Rune Lord Priest of Zroak Zoran, Masher, Rune Lord priest of Zoran Zoran and head of Derak's complaints Department, and Spidertroll, a Priest of Aranea who was overshadwoed by the other two. The dwarf was a Humakti, with a small H, who was attuned to a Godling Bone, so when he died, he wasn;t really dead for a number of days, so he could be brought back without breaking any Humakti taboos, once he "died" and left standing orders that he be carried back and Resurrected, so one of the trolls in the party, Derak the Dark Troll, offered to carry him back, every so often we could hear munching noises that would suddenly stop, it turned out that he was taking "little" bites out of the Mostali as "He's dead anyway and darves are really tasty".

Sure, they challenged each other, distrusted each other and had differing objectives and cultural.cult oppositions, but they found a way to work together.

• Like 3

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2018 at 1:09 PM, soltakss said:

We had trolls, elves and dwarves adventuring together in our RQ2 days. The elf was a Yelornan Unicorn Rider with an obscene Elf Bow skill and Power Arrows that bumped up her shots by one level (Normal to Special, Special to critical and so on) and a huge INT and DEX. The trolls included Derak the Dark troll, Rune Lord Priest of Zroak Zoran, Masher, Rune Lord priest of Zoran Zoran and head of Derak's complaints Department, and Spidertroll, a Priest of Aranea who was overshadwoed by the other two. The dwarf was a Humakti, with a small H, who was attuned to a Godling Bone, so when he died, he wasn;t really dead for a number of days, so he could be brought back without breaking any Humakti taboos, once he "died" and left standing orders that he be carried back and Resurrected, so one of the trolls in the party, Derak the Dark Troll, offered to carry him back, every so often we could hear munching noises that would suddenly stop, it turned out that he was taking "little" bites out of the Mostali as "He's dead anyway and darves are really tasty".

Sure, they challenged each other, distrusted each other and had differing objectives and cultural.cult oppositions, but they found a way to work together.

I was in a party as a Zebra-rider shaman of Rainbow Girl along with a Great and a Mistress Troll and a Magisaur of Lhankor Mhy, but I think you have me beat.

On 7/4/2018 at 4:57 AM, jeffjerwin said:

I was in a party as a Zebra-rider shaman of Rainbow Girl along with a Great and a Mistress Troll and a Magisaur of Lhankor Mhy, but I think you have me beat.

We didn't have a Mistress Race Troll, so you win just for that.

We did have a Minotaur, a Morokanth (Who had a Giant War Slug as a riding beast, it wasn't very fast but was great at climbing castle walls) , a Centaur with 5 legs (He got Jake's Amulet, which gave you an extra leg, like Jake the Peg, clearly not meant for a centaur but it didn't say so) and a Duck.

Derak the Dark Troll also had a pair of Elite Trap-Finding Trollkin, who wore specially made embroidered uniforms that made them stand out. They were Special Trollkin and were always held to be more important than any other trollkin and it showed. Their job was to march in front of Derak while underground. If there were any traps, they would set them off, falling into pits, being impaled by crossbow bolts or being choked by poisonous gas. When they died, Derak would ritually strip them of their armour, put the armour in a special sack and then take them with him as snacks for later on. When he got back to Troll Lands, he would recruit two more Elite Trap-Finding Trollkin from the trollkin masses. His criteria was "Are you SIZ 8? Do you fit into this armour? Do you want to adventure with me as an equal? Yes? Congratulations, you are now an Elite Trap-Finding Trollkin!". To be honest, they probably saved the lives of party members more than anyone else in the party.

• Like 3

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

2 hours ago, soltakss said:

We didn't have a Mistress Race Troll, so you win just for that.

The Mistress Race was the leader and obviously just being a Mistress Race is Winning.

As one can imagine, people watched them with mixture of fear and curiosity. We were on an endless hero quest against Chaos.

• Like 1