Ernalda's Law

Bohemond

I'm wondering about how Ernalda's Law operates. I don't think much has been written about it (unless I've missed something, which is certainly possible). Babeester Gor exists to enforce this law and avenge its violations, and from her cult write-up in Sartar Companion we know that kin-slaying, violating oaths sworn to Ernalda, and harming temples and priestesses of the Earth are violations of the law, and it seems that violence against women is also in many cases against this law. It also seems that matters related to marriage are under her law--adultery is a violation of her law in most cases. 

It seems that Ernalda's law demands violent vengeance for kinslaying. The relatives of Babeester Gor's victims cannot demand compensation for her killings. That suggests that it's a more primal law than Orlanth's law, which offers compensation as an alternative for vengeance. It also seems that Ernalda's law focuses primarily on blood relationships over affinal relationships like marriage--your relatives are the people descended from your mother and grandmother much more than the family you marry into. 

Do we know anything more about this? Is there an Ernaldan equivalent to the Orlanthi lawspeaker, or are priestesses effectively the Ernaldan lawspeakers? Can an Ernaldan priestess issue a ruling about  whether the killing of a woman was justified? Would such a ruling bind a Babeester Gori to not avenge the victim?

It does seem that given that Ernalda has the Harmony Rune she is the source of justice among Earth peoples.

I would imagine given "There is Always Another Way" that the principle behind Earth justice is restorative, not codified. The Gor cults are necessary only when restoration and recompense is impossible or the enemy is not cooperative.

1 hour ago, Bohemond said:

are priestesses effectively the Ernaldan lawspeakers?

Yes, they are the voices/speakers for Ernalda.

1 hour ago, Bohemond said:

It also seems that matters related to marriage are under her law

And really matters concerning the whole web of relationships that form a community.  Babeester Gor is not Ernalda's only resource.  She herself is the source of bounty and blessings for a community.  One of her greatest curses is to simply withhold her Blessings, whether for crops, children, marriage, or the harmony of the community.  Barrenness is one of her worst curses - a power to make women infertile, men impotent, turn soil to stone, dry up the milk of cows and ewes, etc.  She might also withdraw her protection on the individual, family, or community from Mallia.  

Edited by jajagappa

In Esrolia, I would expect the grandmother of a house to exert absolute control over her avengers. Disputes between houses will probably see a coven of grandmothers trying to find a consensual solution.

A grandmother's authority will decide about life or death of the members of her house. A culprit might find himself volunteering to participate in a last stand defense, whether on the field of battle or keeping the waters in check. Daughters are less likely to be sacrificed in such a way, but may lose all control over their children (and the associated mother status).

The Esrolians may have various forms of lese majesty as culpable crimes or high-stake political barbs between houses (depending on the relative powers of the houses and status within the house).

We know about whipping as a form of punishment, e.g. the Whipping Ground on Kena Hill in Nochet where Herkool was punished eight times.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

10 hours ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

Only if defined as such in the marriage contract, I imagine. And even then relations during a ritual might be exempt anyhow.

Although there are various degrees of marriage, I don't think a marriage contract could include a provision for one side or the other being unfaithful. Instead, there are rules about the duration of the marriage--a day, a year, or indefinite duration. But there are definitely ritual exemptions of various kinds. 

4 minutes ago, Bohemond said:

Although there are various degrees of marriage, I don't think a marriage contract could include a provision for one side or the other being unfaithful. Instead, there are rules about the duration of the marriage--a day, a year, or indefinite duration. But there are definitely ritual exemptions of various kinds. 

Well polyandrous and polygamous marriages are possible, which also is an exception, though rare. Hendira, the queen of Nochet, had two underhusbands, for example. If you are married to a Uleria cultist, technically, all of her extramarital relationships are ritually exempt, but there are cases-in-between.

12 minutes ago, Bohemond said:

The point is that if the contract included provisions for one or both of the partners to take additional partners, it wouldn't, by definition, be unfaithfulness.

On 11/18/2018 at 5:35 PM, Bohemond said:

It seems that Ernalda's law demands violent vengeance for kinslaying. The relatives of Babeester Gor's victims cannot demand compensation for her killings. That suggests that it's a more primal law than Orlanth's law, which offers compensation as an alternative for vengeance. 

This does not seem to fit well with "there is always another way". I mean, don't get me wrong, for Babeester Gor, there sure as heck isn't another way, but for Ernalda, it would seem particularly ill-fitting to have violence as the only option.

Edited by Akhôrahil
  • Like 1

On 11/18/2018 at 9:49 AM, jeffjerwin said:

It does seem that given that Ernalda has the Harmony Rune she is the source of justice among Earth peoples.

I would imagine given "There is Always Another Way" that the principle behind Earth justice is restorative, not codified. The Gor cults are necessary only when restoration and recompense is impossible or the enemy is not cooperative.

yes, we mustn't fall prey to the American insensibility of justice.  It's not all Babeester Gor wielding an Axe and slaying the outlawed.  There is always another way is a concept not always familiar to western players when it comes to justice.   Murder, for example, could result in the killer having to join the deceased's family and replacing his income.  So the term "avengers" should be used with care.  Ernaldan justice could take many forms but first and foremost, it would take the form of problem solving, not avenging.

• Like 1