Might be a crazy idea!

mummi

Me and my friend just had a brilliant idea yesterday. We where going over the BRP rule book and the Call of Cthulhu 1990 rule book. And wondered how it would be if we where to make our selfs as charakters and swap them around the group. That is I would not play my self but a friend :D I think it could be a fun thing to try have the setting in our home town and none of us have any "usefull" skills for the game :D Has any one done some thing like that?

Yep, we did something like that in a GURPS campaign once. The only problem

was that some players tended to protest whenever they felt that "they" were

not played "right", especially when it came to things like quirks. To have fun

with that kind of game, you need players who are able to laugh at their own

little mannerisms and thelike portrayed by others.

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

Definitely a crazy idea! But if you want to destroy friendships, why not just play Diplomacy? ;)

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

Yep, we did something like that in a GURPS campaign once. The only problem

was that some players tended to protest whenever they felt that "they" were

not played "right", especially when it came to things like quirks. To have fun

with that kind of game, you need players who are able to laugh at their own

little mannerisms and thelike portrayed by others.

heh.. jeah we taught about that. But I think most of us can handle that. The best thing is having npc's of other friends and foes witch we can have a laugh about :D

I can think of nothing worse than playing myself in a RPG.

Except, of course, somebody else playing me.

There's a reason why I play rugged, kill-crazy barbarian types and it isn't because that's what I am in real life! :)

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here. 

I can think of nothing worse than playing myself in a RPG.

Except, of course, somebody else playing me.

There's a reason why I play rugged, kill-crazy barbarian types and it isn't because that's what I am in real life! :)

A friend of mine ran a game where we played ourselves, first off while generating the characters a couple of the players didn't think my stats were correct, they kept saying I was over valuing my stats, but the game system we were using had various methods to test your stats and every time they tested the stat that I had written down, I passed the test.

Anyway, during the game, we ended up jumping through time and basically became warriors. The first time we ended up some place civilized, I tried to have my character settle down. When everyone freaked that I was not interested in continuing I told them, I'm playing myself correctly and then proceeded to explain to them that in real life, I'm not some world hopping/time hopping mercenary fighter. I'm just a regular guy, in better than average shape, who likes to play RPGs and do things on the computer, so if I'm RPing myself correctly, that's exactly what I'd do.

Needless to say, I didn't continue playing the game for very long because I ended up staying behind the next time the group jumped to a new time period.:)

I generally try and avoid playing games where we're playing ourselves for that very reason.

Skunk - 285/420 BRP book

You wanna be alright you gotta walk tall

Long Beach Dub Allstars & Black Eyed Peas

A friend of mine ran a game where we played ourselves, first off while generating the characters a couple of the players didn't think my stats were correct, they kept saying I was over valuing my stats, but the game system we were using had various methods to test your stats and every time they tested the stat that I had written down, I passed the test.

Anyway, during the game, we ended up jumping through time and basically became warriors. The first time we ended up some place civilized, I tried to have my character settle down. When everyone freaked that I was not interested in continuing I told them, I'm playing myself correctly and then proceeded to explain to them that in real life, I'm not some world hopping/time hopping mercenary fighter. I'm just a regular guy, in better than average shape, who likes to play RPGs and do things on the computer, so if I'm RPing myself correctly, that's exactly what I'd do.

Needless to say, I didn't continue playing the game for very long because I ended up staying behind the next time the group jumped to a new time period.:)

I generally try and avoid playing games where we're playing ourselves for that very reason.

I believe you're taking about the game Timlords. That was the mostly overly complex rpg I've ever played.

Didn't 'Villains and Vigilantes' have a similar idea - that your non-super/secret identity was based on your real-life persona, with a suped-up version as your hero?

It did indeed. The very first superhero scenario I ever ran featured my friends rolling themselves up as superheroes in V&V then foiling a bank robbery. Remarkably great fun. I've been fond of V&V ever since.

Anyway, during the game, we ended up jumping through time and basically became warriors. The first time we ended up some place civilized, I tried to have my character settle down.

The idea is to play yourself except with a pair of balls. :P

"But I'm just playing my character!" is the ancient excuse for all kinds of cocksmockery. It's still dodgy when that character is yourself. Someone was offering you the chance to have fun. If you'd rather not have fun, you can just stay home and then they don't have to share their cheetos with you.

Tiwesdæg Clíewen - adventuring in a world where magic is magical, and monsters are monstrous

The idea is to play yourself except with a pair of balls. :P

"But I'm just playing my character!" is the ancient excuse for all kinds of cocksmockery. It's still dodgy when that character is yourself. Someone was offering you the chance to have fun. If you'd rather not have fun, you can just stay home and then they don't have to share their cheetos with you.

Don't be mean!:)

Timelords sounds familiar.

But trust me; with the GM who was running the game, fun wasn't in the equation! Guess that's why the game only lasted another 3 sessions!:P

I played another game, different GM, not Timelords, where we started out as ourselves, but crossing to the new dimension, we were changed. I was ok with that game, but I play myself in real life, why would I want to be just me in an RPG?

Skunk - 285/420 BRP book

I was ok with that game, but I play myself in real life, why would I want to be just me in an RPG?

(Emphasis mine)

I think the highlighted bit is the point here. Personally, I wouldn't at all enjoy a game where I played myself in real life because, well, what's the point? However, a game in which I play myself in a fantasy world/zombie apocalypse/WW2 could be fun. Playing someone else in the real world might be fun as well. As I see it, while most games change both variables, you can change just one and have a fun time.

One thing to keep in mind is that if one of your "player characters" is killed or otherwise incapacitated, it makes things a bit awkward having them still around.

No, it's quite simple.

Do you evict the player, or do they play someone else?

The answer is patently obvious to me.

If the PC dies and the player is still hanging around then, in the spirit of bad modern horror films, you bump off the player in the same way the PC died.

Job done.

We are speaking hypothetically here, aren't we? No? Ah.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here. 

Aaah. The classic D&D mantra imported to BRP! >:->

Never! RW yes - BRP no. >:->

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

No, it's quite simple.

The answer is patently obvious to me.

If the PC dies and the player is still hanging around then, in the spirit of bad modern horror films, you bump off the player in the same way the PC died.

Job done.

We are speaking hypothetically here, aren't we? No? Ah.

That's funny!:D

Skunk - 285/420 BRP book