Odayla and giant herd beasts of Pamaltela

Manu

From what I have read, it seems that Pamaltela has more giant sized wild herd animals like dinosaures, and mesozoic type of animals (and also predators) than Genertela does.

It seems that the Odayla cult would be slightly different in the Orlanthi regions of Pamaltela than in Genertela. Because hunting these giant beasts is not the same as hunting a deer or a boar. You need more men (or women), maybe traps.

Also, a group of boar can do a lot of damage in a crop field. But a group of Daeodon or Chalochotere can do even greater damage in a field or in a orchard (without speaking of the big herbivorous dinosaures). Therefore I can easily imagine the Odayla cult being in charge of driving away these beast from any farm fields.

7 hours ago, Manu said:

It seems that the Odayla cult would be slightly different in the Orlanthi regions of Pamaltela than in Genertela. Because hunting these giant beasts is not the same as hunting a deer or a boar. You need more men (or women), maybe traps.

Odayla would not be worshipped in Pamaltea.  The Orlanthi there would worship a similar hunting god, perhaps Rasout.

7 hours ago, Manu said:

Also, a group of boar can do a lot of damage in a crop field. But a group of Daeodon or Chalochotere can do even greater damage in a field or in a orchard (without speaking of the big herbivorous dinosaures). Therefore I can easily imagine the Odayla cult being in charge of driving away these beast from any farm fields.

Odayla isn't the defender of the farmlands.  He's the Hunter.  

19 minutes ago, metcalph said:

Odayla would not be worshipped in Pamaltea.  The Orlanthi there would worship a similar hunting god, perhaps Rasout.

Sorry for not being clear enough. I was more refering to the Umathelan Orlanthi. They could have Odayla, no?

20 minutes ago, metcalph said:

Odayla isn't the defender of the farmlands.  He's the Hunter. 

I Know that now, hunters are also there to control the population of the wild animal in order to prevent them to destroy crops.

Who would be the protectors of farmlands in a area where huge beasts are common?

1 minute ago, Manu said:

Sorry for not being clear enough. I was more refering to the Umathelan Orlanthi. They could have Odayla, no?

It's not necessary for them to do so.  Odayla is not the only hunting God of the Orlanthi.  Even the Eleven Lights mentions Siwend.

1 minute ago, Manu said:

I Know that now, hunters are also there to control the population of the wild animal in order to prevent them to destroy crops.

The's not the purpose of the Hunter.  The hunter is there to track down and kill the target.  Anything else is immaterial to the God.  A human hunter may worship Odayla for many reasons but Odayla (or other hunting gods) do not care.

1 minute ago, Manu said:

Who would be the protectors of farmlands in a area where huge beasts are common?

The defending warriors - Humakt, Elmal and others.

34 minutes ago, metcalph said:

It's not necessary for them to do so.  Odayla is not the only hunting God of the Orlanthi.  Even the Eleven Lights mentions Siwend.

I don't have all these books... But I agree that FoundChild (or a similar God) should be more the hunting good for the Umathelan Orlanthi.

35 minutes ago, metcalph said:

The defending warriors - Humakt, Elmal and others.

I was thinking a bit of the Orlanthi cults in Umathela. The civilized part of Umathela is ruled by Malkioni. And the Aldryami are the great power of the area. Therefore I imagined that the main religion is more Earth Cult than Storm Cult (for the ruling point of view). Orlanth worshippers are mainly mercenaries, always far from the villages. Earth cults are ruling, and as there are few wars (The Woodland Judgement prevent it), few are the ones protecting the villages. If Orlanth and Humakt worshippers are not in the villages, I imagined that the function of protecting the villages against beasts (the main threat) would become part of the Hunting God (whatever his name there). Maran Gor cultist would take care of the Dinosaures, and FoundChild of the other beasts. As it requires a very good knowledge of the beasts to find the right way to drive them away (and to kill one of them once in a while for meat)

I like the idea that Umathelan Orlanth (Worlath and Baraku and more) are not the Orlanth Rex of Sartar. And that other gods would get his 'functions' in the Umathelan Orlanthi society

Just an idea though (I know that MGMV), I just like to share to have other peoples view on this. (and thanks for your comments )

• Like 1

I think Manu makes a valid point that there might be a conceptual difference between warriors (man-vs-man) and, well, for lack of a better term, "rangers" (man-vs-animal).

When thinking about it, I could imagine a version of Storm Bull would make sense, or possibly Orlanth in a Ram-espect (basically a more militant/adult version of Voriof, his son, and the god of both male youth and shepherds). Both of these are derived from animals where the males are known to protect their herds from predators or engage in fights with rivals. It's not quite a perfect analogy, of course, but I think it's a better fit than Humakt, which always struck as a bit more... militarily conventional. Maybe I'm wrong.

I suppose Barntar might actually serve this purpose as well. Sure, he's the Plow God, but with things being as they are in Pamaltela, I wouldn't entirely see his ability to deal with (big herbivore) animals be extended from breaking them in to the yoke to chase them off. He can also be more or less freely paired with/subsumed by the "Orlanth-as-Ram" idea above.

Edited by Sir_Godspeed
  • Like 1

I don't think the Orlanthi of Umathela worship Odayla myself. Wrong kind of bears. And probably not Ormalaya, another, who is part of the same myth cycle (and more or less 'Orlanth as hunter')

I don't think they would worship Rasout either. Part of an entirely different myth cycle. 

I'd tend to go with Siwend as the original Orlanthi hunting god, whose rites have been forgotten in Genertela due to Odayla. 

I don't think this means Siwend is the dinosaur hunting god though.