Grey Ones?

Sir_Godspeed

In the Sourcebook, in the section about the Runes, the Truth Rune is said to be have been used by "The Grey Ones" to protect them during the creation of Glorantha/the Cosmos.

Who are the Grey Ones? Is it a synonym for the Cosmic Court/Glorantay, or a other/equivalent group drawn from some specific mythos, or just an obscure allusion for text flavour?

10 minutes ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

In the Sourcebook, in the section about the Runes, the Truth Rune is said to be have been used by "The Grey Ones" to protect them during the creation of Glorantha/the Cosmos.

Who are the Grey Ones? Is it a synonym for the Cosmic Court/Glorantay, or a other/equivalent group drawn from some specific mythos, or just an obscure allusion for text flavour?

Sartar: Kingdom of Heroes presents them as a sub-cult of Lhankor Mhy, and has this to say about them:

The Gray Ones were a group who avoided Chaos and found the way to safety before the onset of Time. It is from them that the cult learned the art of making maps, but they also taught the art of copying documents so that the cult could better preserve knowledge. Many cult lesser gods are Gray Ones, and it is because of them that worshipers originally gained the common nickname of "Gray Sages."

And that seems to be all that's known about them as far as I can tell.

Edited by Leingod
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

Who are the Grey Ones?

This particular snippet of lore has been around for a long time. RQII, Sartar KoH and HeroQuest Glorantha said much the same:

TRUTH - A Rune of the ancient, all seeing sky gods. Said to represent the torch which the grey ones used to escape from Chaos.

However it's in Greg's notes that we learn that there are 12 of them, then later in some of his campaign writings in the 80s we learn that they are the first gods that separate from Chaos -  self-conceived within the womb of Chaos. Their children were the quarterlords - the elements. It's of western origin, but known by everyone on the norther continent. 

1 hour ago, Leingod said:

Is it a synonym for the Cosmic Court/Glorantay, or a other/equivalent group drawn from some specific mythos, or just an obscure allusion for text flavour?

Yes.

• Like 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

I wonder how many of those references might be to the Grey Giants, a species of giants described briefly in the RQ3 Gloranthan Bestiary (possibly the most useful and inspiring Glorantha publication next to parts of the Genertela Box and Gods of Glorantha of the pre-renaissance RQ3 era).

Telling how it is excessive verbis

I don't have my copy to consult, but the references start in the Genertelan portion of the campaign, and continue to the Pamaltelan. And at least one refers to parents of deities...

The first thing we did was to go to the temple to Cronisper and Yanmorla. When asked who the Gray Ones were, the priest replied that they are the fathers of the gods. When asked where the biggest temple to Cronisper and Yanmorla were, he replied that the biggest one was in Kresh territory, but that there was a smaller one at the Three Pines Oasis in Jolar which was about 320 kilometers to the southwest.”

Excerpt From: Jeff Okamoto. “RuneQuest Campaign Log.” Apple Books. 

I'd quote the page, but I'm looking at the ePub right now.

Now to be fair, this could simply be trickster Sandy leading us along. A favorite pastime of his on the campaign. 

SDLeary