Glorantha 2nd Age God List

parejf63

I have not gotten around to the new version of RQ, but eventually, I will...  Here is a list of gods by Culture...   Strictly for the 2nd Age, from all the Mongoose Books for it.  I play Runequest I Mongoose, simply because I like it...  UPDATED WITH CORRECTIONS  CORRECTED SPELLING OF DRAGONEWT...  

PANTHEONS RQ.pdf

Edited by parejf63
  • Thanks 1

These are meant to be PLAYER HANDOUTS to make CULT choices easier.  They contain NO GAME STATS.   Some of Dragonknewt cults allow humans....   other Non-Dragonknewt non-human races are very rare in those cults.   A few of these cults I have allowed humans based on my house rules..  PAMALTELA CULTS are not listed...

Eurmal was not detailed in the 2nd Age Books by Mongoose I Runequest.   He could have been listed as one of the back story gods (the gods that were mentioned, but not written up) such as the Grain Goddesses, River Gods etc....     I will double Check....  

Edited by parejf63

From King of Sartar, p92

From the beginning of time, Orlanthland and the dragons have been enemies. Orlanthland slew Aroka and Sh'hakarzeel, and and many which were lesser. They had, in their turn, ever plotted against Orlanth and humankind, who had robbed them of their ancient world.

One day Eurmal found a new way to betray his master. He found a foolish man, and split his tongue, the way that a bird's tongue can be split to make it talk. And he also split the man's brain, and his heart. That way the man could understand dragon speech.

The man, who is called Rostand the Speaker, enjoyed the effect. The dragonewts, which were always something to fear, spoke to him and he understood. He found his way to a dragon, and rather than being eaten, he learned a song from it!

Rostand thought this was great fun, and he got his friends and family to try it. It was a simple operation; soon they were all doing it to each other.

It was easy to understand the dragon speech, and learn to do new magic from them. Many people wanted to do this, and did.

Orlmandan the Red was the priest who protested this. He was unhappy that everyone was so willing to befriend the enemy of their god. They did not agree, and instead they stopped going to Orlanth's sacrifices. Naturally the spirits of reprisal for their god came to exact vengeance, but the dragon friends used their spells to banish the spirits. 

Orlmandan the Red was unlucky enough to lose his temper, and the ring of Dragons slew him with fire. This caused more violence to break out, but after many fights the loyal Orlanthi were driven out of their homes. 

Obduran the Flyer was the first dragon friend to also be an Orlanthi. He proved that he could do both, and that Orlanthland would not react. This was a marvel to the people of Dragon Pass, and some of them began their sacrifices again, as in the old way, while continuing their sacrifices to the dragons. This custom spread anyplace that the dragon friends went. So many people followed it that Obduran the Flyer sat upon the high council of the EWF. People who had been raised within the draconic belief moved quickly through its ranks, like Ingolf Dragonfriend.

I guess its possible Eurmal was too busy laughing at his joke to bother being a presence in the EWF. But Rostand the Speaker may have been a trickster. Or at the very least, the victim of a trickster.

4 hours ago, EricW said:

I guess its possible Eurmal was too busy laughing at his joke to bother being a presence in the EWF. But Rostand the Speaker may have been a trickster. Or at the very least, the victim of a trickster.

Riddlers have misleadingly been labeled as Tricksters, too. Many mystical practices may appear as nonsensical as the drunk antics of your village drunkard trickster.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

20 hours ago, Joerg said:

Riddlers have misleadingly been labeled as Tricksters, too. Many mystical practices may appear as nonsensical as the drunk antics of your village drunkard trickster.

My impression is EWF took themselves soooo seriously. Leading people in bizarre quests for fake fragments of draconic trickster wisdom, to fully harness the power of Eurmal in the service of the great dragon, is a game which would never have grown old - at least for the tricksters leading their fellow dragons into utter bewilderment. I can just picture solemn groups of draconic tricksters leading earnest seekers into utter stupidity.

Count the boggles before you sleep, because the boggles ate the sheep. 

7 hours ago, EricW said:

My impression is EWF took themselves soooo seriously. Leading people in bizarre quests for fake fragments of draconic trickster wisdom, to fully harness the power of Eurmal in the service of the great dragon, is a game which would never have grown old - at least for the tricksters leading their fellow dragons into utter bewilderment. I can just picture solemn groups of draconic tricksters leading earnest seekers into utter stupidity.

Count the boggles before you sleep, because the boggles ate the sheep. 

I can envision this as when the Trickster finally gets to the end, they find a True Dragon waiting there with a knowing gaze, and the Trickster laughing all the way down the Dragon's gullet at the Trick that had been played on him/her...

• Haha 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 4/15/2019 at 7:24 PM, parejf63 said:

These are meant to be PLAYER HANDOUTS to make CULT choices easier.  They contain NO GAME STATS.   Some of Dragonknewt cults allow humans....   other Non-Dragonknewt non-human races are very rare in those cults.   A few of these cults I have allowed humans based on my house rules..  PAMALTELA CULTS are not listed...

While helpful, I always add a page & book reference to help with finding the write-ups. You should consider adding this PDF to the main file section of the site where it will get more exposure.

https://basicroleplaying.org/files/

and

https://basicroleplaying.org/files/category/52-mongoose-runequest/

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/