Clan Chief

Goldennose

Does Orlanth Rex initiate have to be a priest? And if it is a priest, is it Storm Voice and from Thunderous side of Orlanth? Leika is Vinga Adventurous and high priest of Orlanth Rex. Is this priesthood needed for a clan chief. Or is it ok to be just Wind Lord and initiate of Orlanth Rex?

I think Priest of Orlanth Rex is different to most priesthoods, you qualify by "being a clan chief or tribal king", rather than the usual "been a good little Initiate for 5 years and have all these cult skills". I don't think it even makes sense to be an Initiate of Orlanth Rex.

Edited by PhilHibbs

3 minutes ago, Caras said:

Broddi is a Storm Voice of Orlanth, and the priest of Ulanin the Rider for the Red Cow. And Initiate of Barntar and Initiate of Orlanth Rex. (Is there an error here?)

As a ring member and thane, he might get (associate?) initiate status in the Rex Cult. That doesn't give him access to "Command Priest", probably the most significant of the Rex spells.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

4 minutes ago, Caras said:

Broddi is a Storm Voice of Orlanth, and the priest of Ulanin the Rider for the Red Cow. And Initiate of Barntar and Initiate of Orlanth Rex. (Is there an error here?)

Maybe clan chiefs are initiates, tribal kings are priests, and the Prince of Sartar or King of Dragon Pass is the high priest.

Also, the idea of being an initiate of one subcult and priest of another is an interesting one, as the Rune Pool is shared across subcults, and most of the benefits are not subcult specific either. Once you're a priest, I guess the subtlety of which subcult you are a priest of is largely a matter of politics and social authority.

• Like 1

" Ulanin the Rider for the Red Cow "

Is that an Orlanthi sub-cult?

I find it more interesting that one can be a priest of one cult and another Rune Master level in another... multiple initiations - sure. But being in positions of authority is a bit odd (IMO). Sort of conflicting responsibilities... What if one cult needs you to do A, but another needs you to do B - which takes precedence?

1 hour ago, Shiningbrow said:

Maybe a "Hero Cult"?  He's a known historical figure for the Orlanthi, founder of a (now defunct) Dawn-era Vingkotling tribe.

I don't think he figures as a demigod or "full" deity in any canonical resource (I could well be mistaken!), but Everyone'sGMV...

C'es ne pas un .sig

32 minutes ago, g33k said:

Maybe a "Hero Cult"?  He's a known historical figure for the Orlanthi, founder of a (now defunct) Dawn-era Vingkotling tribe.

I don't think he figures as a demigod or "full" deity in any canonical resource (I could well be mistaken!), but Everyone'sGMV...

Most Red Cow approach Orlanth through the guise of their ancestor Ulanin the Rider. He grants them a different focus on their magic than the typical Orlanth Adventurous cultist.

23 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

I find it more interesting that one can be a priest of one cult and another Rune Master level in another... multiple initiations - sure. But being in positions of authority is a bit odd (IMO). Sort of conflicting responsibilities... What if one cult needs you to do A, but another needs you to do B - which takes precedence?

Ulanin the Raider is one of the lesser-known Thunder Brothers, IIRC. The Thunder Brothers are probably a catch-all place for clans to justify what makes their particular clan hero so great--he's a son of Orlanth! Sure, he's not one of the really important ones like Hedkoranth, but he's still one of them.

40 minutes ago, Bohemond said:

Ulanin the Raider is one of the lesser-known Thunder Brothers, IIRC. The Thunder Brothers are probably a catch-all place for clans to justify what makes their particular clan hero so great--he's a son of Orlanth! Sure, he's not one of the really important ones like Hedkoranth, but he's still one of them.

IMO Ulanin the Rider and his brothers in law aren't quite in the same league as the Thunder Brothers populating Orlanth's Storm Village with their own households. They lived as demigods, and may have apotheosized upon death. Where they have a cult, it is mostly quite localized. But yes, they may have counted as part of the Thunder Brothers collective at times. You won't find them mentioned in shrines away from their direct descendants or their area of influence. Ulanin just happens to be the Vingkotling husband-king for what became the lands of Sartar.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

44 minutes ago, Brootse said:

Are are all Orlanthi clan chiefs required to be Storm Voices? And do they pay 90% taxes from their income?

No. They don't even have to be Orlanth initiates. Some clans traditionally have an Ernaldan or Elmali chief.

Edited by PhilHibbs
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

No. They don't even have to be Orlanth initiates. Some clans traditionally have an Ernaldan or Elmali chief.

Humakti chieftains seem to be common among the Malani, and probably among the Lismelder as well. The chieftain of the Hillhavens (one of the Lismelder clans) is a Kolating shaman, so not even a theist. In my game, almost any cult can serve as a chieftain, although some cults are much more common than others. 

• Like 2