Researching the Good Points about MRQ1 and the Glorantha the Second Age setting, from a Sceptic's POV

Joerg

42 minutes ago, Shiningbrow said:

Thanks @metcalph. Not only are you missing my point (which I'm beginning to think is intentional by everyone), but you're actually helping to prove it! This "shut up and go away" mentality is the problem I see.

I didn't tell you to shut up and go away.  If, for example, you had merely mentioned that you had an MRQ campaign and wanted suggestions then it would have been fine.  But that's not what you were doing.  You were:

a)  complaining that people didn't like MRQ's stuff (so what?  There's nothing you can do and whining isn't going to help)

b) claiming that MRQ was brilliant stuff because it had invented the acolyte which mean nasty Jeff stole for RQG and refused to give thanks and praise.

c) slagging of chaosium for not having ETAs on their products (in response to the factual statement that MRQ's material was poor because they had short deadlines).

In short, you were becoming worked up and aggressive about the fact that you had a minority opinion about MRQ (that's okay - if some people think the Phantom Menace is a good film thenit's surely legitimate to think that MRQ's material was good) .  My statement that you should learn to accept the state of affairs and move on nipped your impending tantrum in the bud and for that I make no apologies.

I did not miss your point because you did not even make it.  Now begone and do not @ me in the future.

16 minutes ago, metcalph said:

I didn't tell you to shut up and go away.  If, for example, you had merely mentioned that you had an MRQ campaign and wanted suggestions then it would have been fine.  But that's not what you were doing.  You were:

a)  complaining that people didn't like MRQ's stuff (so what?  There's nothing you can do and whining isn't going to help)

b) claiming that MRQ was brilliant stuff because it had invented the acolyte which mean nasty Jeff stole for RQG and refused to give thanks and praise.

c) slagging of chaosium for not having ETAs on their products (in response to the factual statement that MRQ's material was poor because they had short deadlines).

In short, you were becoming worked up and aggressive about the fact that you had a minority opinion about MRQ (that's okay - if some people think the Phantom Menace is a good film thenit's surely legitimate to think that MRQ's material was good) .  My statement that you should learn to accept the state of affairs and move on nipped your impending tantrum in the bud and for that I make no apologies.

I did not miss your point because you did not even make it.  Now begone and do not @ me in the future.

I'm not surprised, but...

a) no. I was pointing out that people have opinions which cloud fair and reasonable objective judgement. If there's nothing I can do about that, then fine. I do consider it unprofessional and immature. (to contrast, you can say I'm naive...)

b) no. I thing MRQ has some good points, and the above opinions represent an unfair (and emotional) bias against them. I tried to use an example, however I chose one that was wrong. I admitted it (something I'm noticing you're having a problem with - unless you truly honestly believe there is absolutely nothing positive in al the thousands of pages of MRQ material (which, as I've been saying over here, is not only attacking the company, but all the individuals who worked on it as well...).

3) Yes, I did slag off Chaosium for not having ETAs on products. Remember that an ETA is an "estimated time of arrival", and those estimates can change. I accept that - unless an estimate is 2 (or 20) years wrong (which is historically factual as well!) I'm quite capable of slagging off Mongoose for poor products, as well as Chaosium for no time lines at all! I try to be fair like that!

Yeah... I do get aggressive when simple honesty becomes relegated to the sidelines in order to keep up the rage. The simple honesty of "X was a good feature - perhaps we should consider it". I was wrong about Acolytes (third time I've said that now!) Am I completely wrong about the watermarked artwork on each page? The front covers? Heroic Abilities (which make for great HQ rewards)?

You miss  ignore my point because it challenges your butthurt fanboi-ism.

• Like 1

Well, for my side, about the rules, given than RQ6/Mythras has been available for a while, I can't see many reason to use MRQ I & II or refer to it.

About Glorantha content, I have no issue taking ideas in the best books, S&P issues or Living Glorantha scenarios, as I do with every other fan material.

By the way, about Living Glorantha scenarios, as they are still available via web.archive, I'm wondering if we are allowed to link to them, or if there is a licence / ownership issue?

50 minutes ago, 7Tigers said:

By the way, about Living Glorantha scenarios, as they are still available via web.archive, I'm wondering if we are allowed to link to them, or if there is a licence / ownership issue?

Yes, there is a license/ownership issue. Please do not.

2 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

This "shut up and go away" mentality is the problem I see.

[Wearing Moderator Hat]: I moved the discussion here.

No one is being silenced. However this forum is the appropriate venue to discuss the Moongoose version, for those that wish to.

2 hours ago, 7Tigers said:

Well, for my side, about the rules, given than RQ6/Mythras has been available for a while, I can't see many reason to use MRQ I & II or refer to it.

About Glorantha content, I have no issue taking ideas in the best books, S&P issues or Living Glorantha scenarios, as I do with every other fan material.

I sure hope those scenarios are not available, as they are now copyright violations.

On 5/26/2019 at 11:26 AM, David Scott said:

I always felt there should have been at least one Rush song title as a chapter name). I also liked the abiding book.

One should always use more Rush. Here we go, love the new digs Feels a bit roomier. 

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

15 hours ago, MOB said:

[Wearing Moderator Hat]: I moved the discussion here.

No one is being silenced. However this forum is the appropriate venue to discuss the Moongoose version, for those that wish to.

Thanks @MOB - although that quote of mine you used wasn't actually related to the move.

The original discussion came from "What things from MRQ should be (at least considered) for RQG"... perhaps the subject line disguised that. Would that have made a difference to this thread's location? (As I wrote above - if it was any other source of inspiration from any other game, the thread wouldn't have been moved)

Just curious!

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/28/2019 at 8:43 PM, Shiningbrow said:

... The original discussion came from "What things from MRQ should be (at least considered) for RQG"... perhaps the subject line disguised that. Would that have made a difference to this thread's location? (As I wrote above - if it was any other source of inspiration from any other game, the thread wouldn't have been moved)

I think ANY entire game/game-line is too much content, and inappropriate, to be a thread in a forum specifically for a different game.

Such a topic is, necessarily, more about the rule-donor game than about the game getting the new rules.

Pick a topic --- such as "Hero Points," just to have something specific to use as an example -- and propose that specific mechanic as a worthy inclusion in RQG... That's (IMHO) a valid thread for the RQ forum.

What do they do differently, or better, than the RQG RAW?  What can you represent with Hero Points that you cannot do with existing RQG rules?

That's a House-Rule discussion about RQG, and as such a valid thread for the RQ subforum.

(As an aside, though... noting that GMbook / Campaign book is still to come, I expect it will have a section of rules in this story-space (hero-level action), so I think few people will want to engage with that specific topic.  That's fine, for us, because it's just an example we're using to talk about the forums here, not the rules!)

Also note that such a RQG-centric topic (adding Hero Points to RQG) rather explicitly allows for other, similar rules to be considered... SW Bennies, Fate's FP, etc.  The question centers on RQG -- would such a "metacurrency" subsystem benefit RQG, and if so how should RQG's metacurrency be constructed?

Your question, as formulated, was much more about MRQ than RQG, and thus was (IMHO properly) moved here.

Does that make sense?

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

16 minutes ago, Shiningbrow said:

Yes, but I disagree.

Well, I guess if everyone agreed about everything, there wouldn't be much point in a forum like this one...  😉

C'es ne pas un .sig