Witchcraft : For the benefit of my fan.

Byron Alexander

Well, I must have one. Somebody's been downloading my stuff on alchemy and illusion magic. Anyway...

It is early days yet but it appears that I will be writing a monograph entitled BRP : Witchcraft. It will detail the spells witches commonly know, the brewing of magical potions and I'm thinking the making of one-shot magic items like talismans. Also option allegience rules for colouring your magic black or white.

It should be a fun supplement, and I thought some of you might be interested to know it's on the cards.

I have downloaded this material and I hope to see your monograph on Witchcraft!

But, when at the last the arm of Skarl shall cease to beat his drum, silence shall startle Pegana like thunder in a cave, and MANA-YOOD-SUSHAI shall cease to rest......Lord Dunsany

Responsible for: https://ancientvaults.wordpress.com/

This sounds like a great product! I've long wanted BRP magic rules for real world magical traditions.

And where can I find those downloads on alchemy and illusion magic, I've been wondering around the downloads section and can't find them?

This sounds like a great product! I've long wanted BRP magic rules for real world magical traditions.

And where can I find those downloads on alchemy and illusion magic, I've been wondering around the downloads section and can't find them?

Go to the GM's section. Wasn't too sure where they'd fit best so I put them there. If you're looking for real-world traditions you'll probably appreciate the stuff on alchemy.

Thank you, found it and downloaded it.

I should probably say "inspired by real world traditions". I want magic systems to use in the game such as witchcraft, voodoo, hermetic, shamans, etc. They don't have to be real accurate, just have a good flavor and be fun in the game.

I'd like the option of running "Gifted" PC's in a CoC game, much like Unisystem's WitchCraft RPG.

Ah-ha! I have found my fan. You'll be pleased to know that I have a great illustrator on board and it is all go. Hopefully it will be available by hallowe'en this year.

Thank you for the information, I will look forward to your offering, a witch around Halloween, illustrated? Perfect.

But, when at the last the arm of Skarl shall cease to beat his drum, silence shall startle Pegana like thunder in a cave, and MANA-YOOD-SUSHAI shall cease to rest......Lord Dunsany

Responsible for: https://ancientvaults.wordpress.com/

Hey, that's great! I'll be wanting those witchcraft rules too. And I have downloaded your Alchemy rules, so you have a crowd of fans!:D

I'm not entirely sure that three people constitute a crowd... however I am really happy to know that people like my alchemy rules and look forward to other stuff I write. Having written a good chunk of it already I can tell you that BRP : Witchcraft will have several new witchy-flavoured spells as well as information on how to incorporate infernal, pagan or neutral witchcraft into a setting. Oh, and I have also come up with a way that magical oral traditions can do without grimoires...

I'm not entirely sure that three people constitute a crowd... however I am really happy to know that people like my alchemy rules and look forward to other stuff I write. Having written a good chunk of it already I can tell you that BRP : Witchcraft will have several new witchy-flavoured spells as well as information on how to incorporate infernal, pagan or neutral witchcraft into a setting. Oh, and I have also come up with a way that magical oral traditions can do without grimoires...

I worked up some oral tradition rules for CDA Dark Ages. I'm curious to see what you came up with.

Well, I must have one. Somebody's been downloading my stuff on alchemy and illusion magic. Anyway...

It is early days yet but it appears that I will be writing a monograph entitled BRP : Witchcraft. It will detail the spells witches commonly know, the brewing of magical potions and I'm thinking the making of one-shot magic items like talismans. Also option allegience rules for colouring your magic black or white.

It should be a fun supplement, and I thought some of you might be interested to know it's on the cards.

Cool! Do you have a illustration allready that could be used for the blurb?

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

I'm not entirely sure that three people constitute a crowd...

Actually three people is officially a crowd. as evidence I offer the following saying: " two's company and three's a crowd " :D

Seriously though what kind of page count are you looking at with the Witchcraft monograph ? You can definately put me down for a copy

Actually three people is officially a crowd. as evidence I offer the following saying: " two's company and three's a crowd " :D

Dammit, got me there.

Seriously though what kind of page count are you looking at with the Witchcraft monograph ? You can definately put me down for a copy

About 48 pages, standard for a monograph. Might end up being a little more if Chaosium is OK with that, certainly won't be less because they don't do monographs shorter than that (not economical to print them, apparently). Always good to see people interested... hopefully I'll do the subject justice. The magic potions section is looking to me like it'll be useful for other types of magician as well. :thumb:

About 48 pages, standard for a monograph. Might end up being a little more if Chaosium is OK with that,

I don't think there'd be a problem with a longer monograph, Ashes to Ashes came in at 180 pages and they were happy to print that. Better to put stuff in and have a larger monograph than leave stuff out and feel frustrated with the end result.

I don't think there'd be a problem with a longer monograph, Ashes to Ashes came in at 180 pages and they were happy to print that. Better to put stuff in and have a larger monograph than leave stuff out and feel frustrated with the end result.

Definitely, thanks for the advice. I don't see it being much bigger, being only one field of magic. There comes a point where I'd just be long-winded rather than adding anything important.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Bit of an update for you all. I have just (within the last half hour) finished the first draft. I'll be spending the rest of the day re-drafting it but it won't change substantially. The sections will be as follows:

Intoduction : Witches in society - a description of how witches fit in to their primary setting periods of Dark Ages, High Medieval, High Fantasy, Arabian Nights and Renaissance.

Profession : Witch - the witch's profession skills.

The Source of Witchcraft - an overview of neutral, pagan and infernal as the possible sources of witchcraft.

Witchcraft Organisations - an overview of solitary witches, familial organisations and wider witchcraft organisations.

Witch's Magic - A description of how witches differ from other magicians in their handling of magic, a list of the core book spells available to witches and a host of new spells.

Witch's Sorcery - Though the main focus of the monograph is on magic, there are rules here (and extra sorcery spells) for witches as sorcerers. I wasn't going to add this for a long time but some people may like the sorcery rules better and there's no reason witches can't be sorcerers.

Witch's Potions - An in depth look at the skill 'Craft (Potions)' and a small list of possible potions. Thanks to Threedeesix for his suggestions - this potion system will be compatible with Classic Fantasy. So, yes, you can be a dungeon-crawling witch.

Talismans - Witches can make one-shot magic items with their unique skill 'Craft (Talismans)'. This section explains how. Obviously, both crafting potions and talismans would be useful for other magic users.

Witches' Allegiance - A description of allegiance to Black or White magic. What is required to form the allegiance, what is gained from it and apotheosis in both are gone into.

Mystical Artifacts - Unique Magical Items - The descriptions and powers of some unique artifacts that are associated with witchcraft and GMs might want to include in their game.

Sample Organisations - Three sample witchcraft organisations : a dying dark-age tradition, a Victorian revival and the corrupt wing of a fantasy Inquisition.

Sample Characters - Sample characters from the three sample organisations and one Normal character for each of the main suggested settings, for ideas and readily playable characters if you need one quick.

All that crammed into 30,000 words... well, 31,000 words.

The artist is also nearly done so the in-for-September-to-be-out-for-October deadline seems to be holding up.

• 1 month later...

A further update. I have just now sent off the completed product to Dustin at Chaosium in both .doc and .pdf format.

Obviously, he hasn't got back to me to OK everything yet because he'd have to have been typing the response before my e-mail even got to him to have replied by now, but assuming it is BRP : Witchcraft should be available soon. :thumb:

I somehow missed it before and just now discovered those magical words in

your post: Renaissance, dying dark-age tradition. :)

This looks very much like what I am currently working on for my Malita set-

ting, a local pagan tradition of the island population that centers around

one of the ancient temple ruins, is able to work comparatively weak magic,

and is a pain in the neck for the knightly order, because they cannot tole-

rate such heathen practices, but also must not alienate the locals.

I think I will stop working on that and take a look at your monograph, it could

well save me a lot of time ... :thumb:

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)