Pendragon Miniatures

Greetings and well met.

Just wondering how many of you use Miniatures in your games. I gather its really a storytelling game, but I've been gaming since the 70s and beyond (Yes I'm Old) and miniatures play a big part in my games if only for visual representation. I was lucky enough to find almost the complete range of Thunderbolt Mountain Arthurian miniatures 28mm on eBay a bit pricey but so nice I'm looking to collect more. And use the Ral Patha ranges to add further characters and monsters etc.

So I became curious if any others out there used miniatures. I believe there was a dedicated range produced for Pendragon back in the early 1st Edition days.

Of which I discovered I still own the Arthurian Companion by Karr which has somehow survived the last 30 years in my shed and now rescued and back on my Bookshelves  

Y Gododdin, "He glutted black ravens on the walls of the fort, but he was no Arthur."

I do most of my gaming nowadays online, voice over IP kinda thing. This is due to the fact that the game group is distributed over three countries, so playing face to face is not an option. Otherwise I would prefer ftf play, obviously. I do know that some people use online miniatures/images, pogs or whatever those are called, but I don't really want to be messing with those either.

But even when I was GMing face to face, I wasn't using miniatures. Never really did. Then again, we seldom use a hex map or a grid for combat anyway. If the situation is more complicated, a quick sketch map suffices, with arrows showing movement when necessary.

Hi Jeff

i must say Umbum is new to me. But after reading your post I took s look online and see they do an interesting range. I saw a very nice castle I might invest in. 

I am a figure collector and I guess that stems from my early days as a gamer in DnD etc. I’m not sure this forum is the right place to discuss this topic so I would be interested in others opinions on if Miniatures can play a roll or if anyone else finds the subject interesting 

Y Gododdin, "He glutted black ravens on the walls of the fort, but he was no Arthur."

23 hours ago, Sir Carter said:

Of which I discovered I still own the Arthurian Companion by Karr which has somehow survived the last 30 years in my shed and now rescued and back on my Bookshelves  

Good news!

You may be able to help, is it The Reston version (hardback, dust cover) or Chaosium (softcover, reprint)

http://greathall.chaosium.com/publications/chaosium-publications/cha2704-the-king-arthur-companion/

http://greathall.chaosium.com/publications/chaosium-publications/cha2704-the-king-arthur-companion-2nd-edition/

if it's the first edition, does it say who the cover artist is, and what colour is the hard cover?

Many thanks

4 hours ago, Scotty said:

You may be able to help, is it The Reston version (hardback, dust cover) or Chaosium (softcover, reprint)

http://greathall.chaosium.com/publications/chaosium-publications/cha2704-the-king-arthur-companion/

http://greathall.chaosium.com/publications/chaosium-publications/cha2704-the-king-arthur-companion-2nd-edition/

if it's the first edition, does it say who the cover artist is, and what colour is the hard cover?

Hi Scotty, if Chaosium wants to acquire a copy of the first edition book, it seems to be available from AbeBooks:
https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=30262819994&searchurl=sortby%3D17%26tn%3DKing%2BArthur%2Bcompanion&cm_sp=snippet-_-srp1-_-title1
at the VERY cheap price of 3.78 $, good conditions, free shipping within the USA.
It's also available here:
https://www.threegeeseinflight.com/product/21741/The-King-Arthur-Companion--First-Edition-Hardcover-Phyllis-Ann-Karr
but not so cheap, 45 $, very good+ conditions.

Hope this helps!

Edited by mandrill_one
New information found.

On 7/10/2019 at 12:20 PM, Sir Carter said:

Greetings and well met.

Just wondering how many of you use Miniatures in your games. I gather its really a storytelling game, but I've been gaming since the 70s and beyond (Yes I'm Old) and miniatures play a big part in my games if only for visual representation. I was lucky enough to find almost the complete range of Thunderbolt Mountain Arthurian miniatures 28mm on eBay a bit pricey but so nice I'm looking to collect more. And use the Ral Patha ranges to add further characters and monsters etc.

So I became curious if any others out there used miniatures. I believe there was a dedicated range produced for Pendragon back in the early 1st Edition days.

Funny enough I never used minitiature for a KAP game. Even thou I sometimes use them for other games systems. I think this has to do with the more individual combat of a knight. Each knight fighting his own foe. There is less ganging up on one target. In such an instance relative distances between combatants are not needed. 

Another reason  is that it is less of a turn based game than other systems. You alrerady declared wwho you will attack and there is no option to switch opponents in a single combat round. So it will probably be unclear who killed the opponent as both strike hin at the same time.

2 hours ago, Cornelius said:

Funny enough I never used minitiature for a KAP game. Even thou I sometimes use them for other games systems. I think this has to do with the more individual combat of a knight. Each knight fighting his own foe. There is less ganging up on one target. In such an instance relative distances between combatants are not needed. 

Another reason  is that it is less of a turn based game than other systems. You alrerady declared wwho you will attack and there is no option to switch opponents in a single combat round. So it will probably be unclear who killed the opponent as both strike hin at the same time.

There's a scene in the Post-Vulgate where Tristram tries to take on forty knights. Palomides drags him out of trouble, and gets a bit of guff from his frenemy.

I have used minis off and on for KAP. One of the nice things about the way Pendragon does combat is that it's easy to downplay positioning most of the time. Recently I've been using some paper/cardboard minis. They tend to be inexpensive (even getting them printed at a print shop,on card stock, in color only runs about $1 a sheet, which works out to less than a dime a mini). There are some nice Saxon,Medieval, Normal ones over at Drivethru, too. I've bout a couple of sets and then edited the shields and minis a little to customized them to the characters.

More recently, I've been looking at getting a 3D printer and making up customized figures for each PK over at HeroForge.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

On 7/11/2019 at 3:11 AM, Scotty said:

I have both versions, but they're in storage at the moment. Happy to check once I get everything out of there.

44/420

1 hour ago, TheHistorian said:

Thanks. I guess I will always be a collector of miniatures if they feature in my games or not. These Lance and Laser miniatures look very nice