Who lives between Red Dragon Vale and Aggar?

Akhôrahil

I was looking at the map an d plotting travel routes, when I found a spot that I realized that I had absolutely no idea about, and couldn't even find an information or even a name of.  It's a complete blank in the Guide.

To the east, the small tribes of Orlanthi in Red Dragon Vale/Ormsgone Vale, and to the northwest, it comes up against Aggar (the rest bordered with mountains). My first thought is "scattered Alakoring Orlanthi clans so poor no-one can even be bothered with them" (because this is what we usually get in hilly, isolated terrain), and that there are hydra problems (as mentioned in the Guide). Vanak Spear cult is likely with Red Dragon Vale so close by. Old EWF ruins seem reasonable. But do we actually know anything about this area?

image.png.4085059d1e32260efd5149b8091e6db3.png

There's mention about how the trolls of Halikiv could get over the mountains (Glorantha Sourcebook Map p165) so the ground could be a disputed hunting ground between the Ormsgoners and Halikiv.  After all, there's no Sun Dome Temple to check the Darkness there.

Also the woods would be thick with Hydras.  

The big secretthat I can think of is that it was the place where the EWF found the Great Dragon (Guide p133 and p135) so there would be plenty of EWF ruins there associated with the Great Dragon with the intention of making it bigger.  Nowadays these would be sealed over by Blue Moon curses and spirits so beware!

• Like 3

I think this area is at least as good as any to be the home for the liberated Jolanti that Gonn Orta brought east from Nida and that were given a real life by aldryami. The guide doesn't give a specific location, but with this amount of forest, a cohabitation of aldryami and jolanti seems to be reasonable.

• Like 2

Telling how it is excessive verbis

14 minutes ago, Joerg said:

I think this area is at least as good as any to be the home for the liberated Jolanti that Gonn Orta brought east from Nida and that were given a real life by aldryami. The guide doesn't give a specific location, but with this amount of forest, a cohabitation of aldryami and jolanti seems to be reasonable.

The Runequest bestiary (page 14) places them in the forests of the Salantor Hills.

Page 15 does seem to show the Telmori dwelling in the northernmost part of the red area.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Akhôrahil said:

My first thought is "scattered Alakoring Orlanthi clans so poor no-one can even be bothered with them" (because this is what we usually get in hilly, isolated terrain)

In an old Wyrms Footnotes (#5), there was a writeup for additional units for WB&RM called the "Mountain Peoples" that you could ally there (you had to move off the west edge of the map to emissary them and they appear between Hydra's Hill and Muse Roost. The writeup noted "This is a wild and proud race of unknown origin which lives atop the high mountains surrounding Dragon Pass. Normally fiercely independent, they are nonetheless bound to their traditional kings by age-old bonds, and so may answer a call to muster if met by the proper conditions."

I would guess as well that they are storm-worshipping tribes, but might follow Valind as much as Orlanth.

• Like 1

Looking at the Bestiary (didn't think to check it the first time around), there's also Giants (at the fringes), Morokanth (!!), Tusk Riders and Wind Children that could be found in the area.  It seems to be the furthest extent of the Morokanth so there must be something they are up to there.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, metcalph said:

Looking at the Bestiary (didn't think to check it the first time around), there's also Giants (at the fringes), Morokanth (!!), Tusk Riders and Wind Children that could be found in the area.  It seems to be the furthest extent of the Morokanth so there must be something they are up to there.

I did not expect Morokanth. The rest yes; those no.

Would Morokanth this far out even be Waha worshipers?

Edited by Akhôrahil
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Akhôrahil said:

I did not expect Morokanth. The rest yes; those no.

Would Morokanth this far out even be Waha worshipers?

There may be a more prosiac explanation.  

In Dragon Past 1 (WF #15 p53), the Praxians led a mysterious expedition to Dorastor in between which they are visiting Aggar before returning home in 1611,  I think the Morokanth there (say about 500 or so) were members of that expedition and have just found these lands to be interesting enough (lack of humans) to avoid returning home.

• Like 1