Fly Skill

silent_bob

Nice catch!

I just did a search through the book, and found that the only critters that have the Fly skill are the two demons (Lesser and Greater), and the Air elemental.

Those were copied from the BRP rulebook, where most of the rest of the monsters were from the RQIII Monster book.

I'm going to suggest deleting the "Fly" skill from those monsters, rather than adding a new skill to the game. My feeling is that an Air Elemental needs a skill in "Fly" as much as a human needs a skill in "Walk". IE: not at all. Use Dex xX rolls for the effected creature to fly in inclement conditions if you need to.

• Like 1

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.

My feeling is that an Air Elemental needs a skill in "Fly" as much as a human needs a skill in "Walk". IE: not at all.

Air elementals may not need it, but for creatures with wings "Fly" could be the equivalent of Dodge in three dimensions.  Winged creatures need to deal with air currents, maintaining lift, counteracting drag, making sharp turns without going into a tailspin, and so forth.

That said, I'd probably only introduce it if player characters or their steeds had wings.  For NPC monsters I'd probably just go with a Dodge or DEX roll, particularly if they fly using magic.  (The "NPCs statted like PCs" philosophy has its merits, but increasingly I admire the simplicity of NPCs in old-school D&D and Numenera.)

Frank

"Welcome to the hottest and fastest-growing hobby of, er, 1977." -- The Laundry RPG

My general feeling is 'use less rules' when it comes to this kind of stuff. So, rather than including a new skill in Fly, I'd just use DEX rolls (as mentioned above). Same as you'd use an Agility roll for a human to stay standing on a swinging rope bride, I'd use Agility for a winged monster to fly straight in a violent storm.

That all being said, the strength of BRP-based games is their flexibility. So, if you want to add a Fly skill, you should totally do so.

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.

• 3 weeks later...

Could have used that Fly skill last night. 

To be less cryptic, Ben played his raven last night. Great character. No fly skill.  :lol:

None of the other PCs had "Walk" skills, but nobody complained about that.

:P

• Like 1

I doubt it was a DEX roll. With a DEX of 29, there's no way I'd've smacked my head twice on the ceiling trying to get out...