Pendragon at GenCon 2019

I was privileged enough to run one of the scenarios at GenCon.  I ran the Adventure of the Three Damosels. The setting was the beginnings of the High Romance period where the Courtly Amor Love is taking shape.  In it, the five male knights and one female knight were on their way to Camelot when they came across a woman promising adventure if they dared follow her.  The players did and the rest is history.  (Sorry, no spoilers here.)  

The players had a great time and they thoroughly enjoyed themselves. If any of them follow this thread, by all means, chime in your impressions.  All were pretty new to Pendragon, but got into the spirit of the game very quickly, including use of accents. I was very pleased that everyone seemed to enjoy themselves, including the one who kept saying at the end, "Hate! Hate! Hate!"

David Z. (author of the upcoming "Book of Magic") also ran two scenarios, but it might be better for him to give his thoughts.

I got to sign a few books at the Chaosium booth and met several fans. If I met you and you're on these boards, give me a shout out!

We sold out of KAP core rulebooks and nearly sold out of Paladin. I got my first look at the latter in the flesh, as it were, and it's an impressive and gorgeous-looking tome.

8 minutes ago, sirlarkins said:

We sold out of KAP core rulebooks and nearly sold out of Paladin. I got my first look at the latter in the flesh, as it were, and it's an impressive and gorgeous-looking tome.

Speaking of, many people are curious when the paper version of Paladin becomes available for non-backers to buy. Do you happen to have any news on that?

X X X X X X X X X SPOILER ALERT X X X X X X X X X  

that depends entirely on whether your players are willing to go with the concept of female knights having amours with female ladies...

In my game, the knight who got the first victory was the lady knight.  And the players had no problem with the concept.  But, this comes full circle at the end, so options are still open as you know.  Remember, amours are courtly love.

43 minutes ago, Hzark10 said:

that depends entirely on whether your players are willing to go with the concept of female knights having amours with female ladies...

In my game, the knight who got the first victory was the lady knight.  And the players had no problem with the concept.  But, this comes full circle at the end, so options are still open as you know.  Remember, amours are courtly love.

In the Romance of Silence, the hero(ine), a disguised female knight passing as a man, does have an amour, that goes a bit sideways, with a princess. In Yde and Olive, based on a similar story, the heroine becomes the lover of another princess, but when they are discovered she is sentenced to death. God transforms her into a man and the miracle causes her sentence to be revoked, and the hero then marries his/her lover. Just putting out there that there's nothing 'anachronistic' about such stories (in case anyone has that objection).

Courtly love is always either adulterous or (not quite as proper) out of wedlock. Hence making it more transgressive by involving two women isn't really as big a leap as it might seem to us.

• Like 2

Thanks, I had to think of amour in terms of how it would affect a female / female relationship to realize that in modern terms it would mean more "respect and devotion" than "love" and the honor that goes along with the appearance and act of playing-out that amour in public. 

On 8/8/2019 at 1:17 PM, Hzark10 said:

I was privileged enough to run one of the scenarios at GenCon.  I ran the Adventure of the Three Damosels. The setting was the beginnings of the High Romance period where the Courtly Amor Love is taking shape.  In it, the five male knights and one female knight were on their way to Camelot when they came across a woman promising adventure if they dared follow her.  The players did and the rest is history.  (Sorry, no spoilers here.)  

The players had a great time and they thoroughly enjoyed themselves. If any of them follow this thread, by all means, chime in your impressions.  All were pretty new to Pendragon, but got into the spirit of the game very quickly, including use of accents. I was very pleased that everyone seemed to enjoy themselves, including the one who kept saying at the end, "Hate! Hate! Hate!"

I'm pretty sure that was me, the Irish knight who didn't get his amor at the end of the game. I hadn't played in around 17 years, but had an absolute blast. Now I have the worst itch to play the Great Pendragon Campaign, especially with cool stuff like your Book of Sires out. Thanks for running!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hzark10 said:

No problem at all, it was my pleasure.  I also had a great time running. Your group was getting into the spirit of the game. You might have to look a bit to find a face-to-face game, but there are games online.

Yeah, online will probably have to be the way to go. My regular group is too obsessed with Pathfinder, although I get to run a Cthulhu campaign every couple of years...

• 1 month later...