Questing for a Glorantha Game

HeartQuintessence

2 hours ago, HeartQuintessence said:

I am in want of a game, but it  smaller, but on line, but I've no one who is wiser in Glorantha than I, and so I turn to you all- where do you all go to look for Roleplayers, or GMS for Glorantha?

Is there some secret community?

It depends on what type of game experience you are looking for (and which system, re: RQG, HQG).

While I enjoy face-to-face gaming (and ran such a campaign for ~10 years), I've not found sufficient folk in my area to do that in the last decade, so I went to Play-by-Forum instead and have run both HQG and RQG there. PbF is a different experience though - it takes awhile to work through sessions given limited posting on any given day, but offers a lot more narrative opportunity.

I believe others run online over the internet. There have been some recent requests/comments on same in the RuneQuest Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/RuneQuest/

Hopefully with the recent RQG releases, and more games being run at major cons, there will be a revival of interest in both running and playing. 

Generally if you ask around you might be able to get a game.

There are sites on the Internet that link gamers with groups. It might be worth doing a Google Search to find some of them.

As has been mentioned, posting here is a good idea, posting on the Facebook page might be useful as well.

As a matter of interest, where are you based? There might be some gaming groups in your area that people know about.

Also as has been mentioned, Conventions are good for Gloranthan games. They can be quite sketchy, but some are good. Continuum in the IK and Eternal Con in Germany normally have Gloranthan games of various kinds, especially with the Runemasters group who try to spread Gloranthan joy (Or the Cult of Chaos, if He Who Must not Be Crossed is reading), we have a Gloranthan Games convention in Birmingham UK (which coincided with my wide's operation so I couldn't go) which was apparently very good. I am not sure about GenCon and so on, as I've never been to anything in the USA.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

As a USA player, but one who lives on the east coast, its actually a little harder to make the trip to a middle state to do a convention (as someone who's just gotten the ability to potentially do that if I save).

So I am basically based online for now. I did join the Facebook group. But I guess being under only a 'kid' in comparison to how long some of you all have been playing ( my entire existence)- just means I have to find new ways to inovate.

10 hours ago, HeartQuintessence said:

As a USA player, but one who lives on the east coast, its actually a little harder to make the trip to a middle state to do a convention (as someone who's just gotten the ability to potentially do that if I save).

Ah, I saw a facebook post by someone asking for a game and saying they were in GMT-5, so East Coast, that might have been you, then. It is confusing when people use different names across forums, one reason why I am soltakss almost everywhere and Simon Phipp when I am not.

10 hours ago, HeartQuintessence said:

So I am basically based online for now. I did join the Facebook group. But I guess being under only a 'kid' in comparison to how long some of you all have been playing ( my entire existence)- just means I have to find new ways to inovate.

Don't start thinking that. A lot of us have been playing for a long time, which means we are stuck-in-the-mud grognards, dinosaurs and so on, The future is with new players, especially young new players.

I hope you find a game soon. 

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

True, and yes that was most definately me. Someone on of my other FB groups pointed me to that so I dropped a line hoping for a bite.

Oh I'll find a game its just a matter of time. The other down side, is that Glorantha isn't as 'popular' but then again, people are getting started in D&D and then branching out all we can do is bring them into Glorantha, when we see them.

21 hours ago, HeartQuintessence said:

So after sitting down and reading my HeroQuest:Glorantha on my commute, I realized, I am in want of a game, but it  smaller, but on line, but I've no one who is wiser in Glorantha than I, and so I turn to you all- where do you all go to look for Roleplayers, or GMS for Glorantha?

Is there some secret community?

At least in my local experience, you can frequently fins local RPG forums on, for instance, Facebook. Given how starved many RPG players seem to be for play, offering to GM RuneQuest (or one of the other games) might well work out.

40 minutes ago, Akhôrahil said:

Given how starved many RPG players seem to be for play, offering to GM RuneQuest (or one of the other games) might well work out.

That’s true, I’m playing RuneQuest by GMing RuneQuest 😫. You can’t play the usual way, but it’ satisfying seeing your players discover an absolutely new world.

Something I have noticed in using online tools to find local f2f groups is that meatspace localities oddly seem to aggregate around different virtualities (at least sometimes).

In my region, Meetup.com seems to be the best player-finder going.  Elsewhere, folks report that if you aren't on Facebook, it's not worth looking online.  And I have seen thriving localized subreddits where the chatter was that they hadn't been able to find one another on FB or Meetup...

So at first, you may need to cast a w-i-d-e net.  Shotgun the web, and hope you get a hit.

C'es ne pas un .sig