Powered crystal double healing

galafrone

Hi all

i was wondering how do you rule the powered crystal that double the effect of the healing spell when dealing with severed arms.

It's enough an heal 3 (doubled by the effect of the crystal to 6) to "reattach" a limb or you rule that you need a PROPER heal 6 to do that ?

thanks

On 12/20/2019 at 4:44 PM, galafrone said:

Hi all

i was wondering how do you rule the powered crystal that double the effect of the healing spell when dealing with severed arms.

It's enough an heal 3 (doubled by the effect of the crystal to 6) to "reattach" a limb or you rule that you need a PROPER heal 6 to do that ?

thanks

In all cases where the RAW is unclear I  /always/  consider MGF as a primary source of resolution...

Which way seems more fun to you, for your game?

• Like 2

C'es ne pas un .sig

8 hours ago, g33k said:

In all cases where the RAW is unclear I  /always/  consider MGF as a primary source of resolution...

Which way seems more fun to you, for your game?

To illustrate & expand on this: I would rule opposite Mirza, because for my game I think it's more fun to reward the players for achieving/acquiring Heal 6. It seems to me that in both rulings, an MGF principle has been applied.

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

the perplexity comes from 2 different reasoning lanes, both applied to the crystal:

1) the crystal has a MAGIC power that Enhance the healing of the spell, so it's actually double in effects, both the amount of hp restored and the capacity of "reattaching limbs" if used with a heal 3 or higher, within the limits of the crystal power

2) the crystal DONT have the MAGIC power to enhance the healing of the spell, just duplicate it. In this case the healing of 6 points come from basically 2 heal 3.. and so it can't reattach limbs.

Since these crystals are rare and they come with a 1d6 power (so only 66% of them is capable to arrive at the heal 6 plateau) i am inclined to think that is the option 1 that is valid, otherwise the real effect will be just the duplication, that is absolutely useful, but it comes down to simulate a second cast of the same spell, so is almost a magic point matrix that just gives you 1 round less of casting to get the same effect.

27 minutes ago, Crel said:

To illustrate & expand on this: I would rule opposite Mirza, because for my game I think it's more fun to reward the players for achieving/acquiring Heal 6. It seems to me that in both rulings, an MGF principle has been applied.

With the cultural cost for "Regrow Limb" having gone down so significantly as you no longer need to bother a priest with this request for a reusable spell or having to pay eight times your ransom for a non-reusable spell, you may have a point there. It takes a "Seal Wound" (and a lack of willingness to undergo an even more extreme amputation) to create a candidate for a partnership in Gimpy's (and with the population density of ZZ cultists in the Rubble, something like that may very well be the cause of that partnership).

Subjecting a player character to a temporary disability taking that character mostly out of the game may create some memorable gaming.

Retiring a character whose character concept has been broken by that result may be memorable, too. Being saddled with a character like Urrgh the Ugly (INT and CHA 3 - created with RQ2 rules) may be seen as a roleplaying challenge or a welcome joint of silliness for some players, but doesn't mean that every player enjoys this.

The "Heal 6" requirement is only needed when the party has spent their last rune point, as a Heal Wound boosted with 6 MP or the same Heal Wound boosted with 3 MP and the same Healing Crystal do the job just fine (RQG p.149). The sorcerous Mend Flesh can do the job when the spell fully heals the damaged location (RQG p.396) - that means, even when some other healing has been done before to stop the bleeding, the full points of the location must be healed with a single casting of Mend Flesh. Again, there is no indication that the powered crystal cannot be used with Mend Flesh to provide additional intensity.

The extraordinary importance of Heal 6 is mostly a thing of the past unless you play RQ2 or RQ3 or a homebrew where initiates don't get reusable rune points. Of the cults published in the RQG rules, only Eurmal (and the spirit cults Black Fang and Oakfed) lacks access to Heal Wound, and in the basic rules only Chalana Arroy (Warding), Yinkin and the spirit cults Black Fang and Oakfed are limited in their range of Common Divine Magic. The Bestiary adds High King Elf, Shamans of Aldrya, The Cult of the Bloody Tusk, Telmor, Mal(l)ia and Thed to the cults with incomplete access to Common Divine Magic, and to Heal Wound (except the Bloody Tusk, which has it), so Heal 6 may be important if you are playing a Hsunchen game without Daka Fal ancestor worship.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

3 minutes ago, galafrone said:

the perplexity comes from 2 different reasoning lanes, both applied to the crystal:

1) the crystal has a MAGIC power that Enhance the healing of the spell, so it's actually double in effects, both the amount of hp restored and the capacity of "reattaching limbs" if used with a heal 3 or higher, within the limits of the crystal power

I think this is the easier route.

2) the crystal DONT have the MAGIC power to enhance the healing of the spell, just duplicate it. In this case the healing of 6 points come from basically 2 heal 3.. and so it can't reattach limbs.

This logic might affect Mend Flesh as well, but not Heal Wound.

Since these crystals are rare and they come with a 1d6 power (so only 66% of them is capable to arrive at the heal 6 plateau)

Not quite. A 2-point crystal allows a 6 point spirit spell healing with a Heal 4, and a 1-point crystal with a Heal 5. Just because the doubling is limited doesn't mean that you cannot cast a stronger spell than twice the POW of the crystal.

I tend to subscribe to the logic of the first version.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

23 minutes ago, Joerg said:

Not quite. A 2-point crystal allows a 6 point spirit spell healing with a Heal 4, and a 1-point crystal with a Heal 5. Just because the doubling is limited doesn't mean that you cannot cast a stronger spell than twice the POW of the crystal.

Ahhh.. i supposed that a 1 pow point healing crystal could have doubled only a HEAL 1 spiritic spell and a 2 a heal 2 and so on

On 12/21/2019 at 1:44 AM, galafrone said:

Hi all

Rules as written, it's pretty clear that this works: "6-point Heal spell (or its equivalent, such as Heal Wound stacked with 6 magic points)". 3 point Heal doubled must surely count as an equivalent, even though it's not actually a Heal 6?

Edited by Akhôrahil
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2019 at 12:44 AM, galafrone said:

Heal 3 doubled to Heal 6 by the Crystal is enough to reattach a limb.

Similarly, Heal Wound (or is it Heal Area, I can never remember) allows you to use MPs to heal a wound, so 3 MPs would be doubled to 6 to reattach a limb.

Soltak Stormspear had a flawed Healing Crystal that costs the full Magic points but added 1D4 extra Healing, I think it was a 7 point Crystal, so he could do a 14+1D4 Heal. That sounds good, but who has 18 HPs in a location?

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

On 1/4/2020 at 9:12 PM, soltakss said:

Soltak Stormspear had a flawed Healing Crystal that costs the full Magic points but added 1D4 extra Healing, I think it was a 7 point Crystal, so he could do a 14+1D4 Heal. That sounds good, but who has 18 HPs in a location?

Somebody with 50HP. A giant, for example.

A character in my old RQ3 game had 32 general hit points from Strengthening Enchants, that would give him 12 on the chest, and 11 on the head, so if he took a big enough hit then Soltak's crystal could be useful in getting him back on his feet.

• Like 2