Who is counted as unarmed in Glorantha?

Brootse

16 hours ago, Rodney Dangerduck said:

Are there RQ:G rules for doing non-lethal damage?  Whacking the zealous peasant with a pitchfork with the side of your sword to do "stun" damage.  I vaguely recall that from RQ2. 

Easy enough for a GM to allow anyway.  Seems like an honorable alternative.

I think that's in Rune Fixes 2.  I'm pretty sure I saw it as an expansion to the rules, rather than within the core rules.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Diana Probst said:

I think that's in Rune Fixes 2.  I'm pretty sure I saw it as an expansion to the rules, rather than within the core rules.

Runefix 1 contains part of the RQ3 rules for non lethal combat.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Thaz said:

Also depends if your character is at all interested in honour. My Storm Bull isnt. You will fight me tomorrow at the ....<smack crunch> 

Even if your character is interested in honour, note that it is a passion that, according to Jeff et. al.,  is supposed to fluctuate.  Killing an hated "unarmed" opponent in the heat of battle happens, take the hit.  We aren't Paladins.

Argrath deals with a lot of nasty dishonorable types, yet is still noted for his high honour.  In between his "lapses" (which he deems necessary to defeat the Lunars) he also does a lot of honorable deeds.  That's why he is "approved" by the honorable Vasana.

12 minutes ago, Thaz said:

Also depends if your character is at all interested in honour. My Storm Bull isnt. You will fight me tomorrow at the ....<smack crunch> 

"If he wins, kill him", "Ok, let's discuss the rules", "Rules? There aren't rules in a knif...", kicks him between the legs, "say One, two three, go!", "One two three Go", knocks the stricken opponent down.

Edited by soltakss

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

4 minutes ago, Rodney Dangerduck said:

Even if your character is interested in honour, note that it is a passion that, according to Jeff et. al.,  is supposed to fluctuate.  Killing an hated "unarmed" opponent in the heat of battle happens, take the hit. 

Oh totally. As a Pendragon veteran having stuff like that happen is great grist for the mill. The previously mentioned Storm Bull had a bit of lapse of faith really after suggesting that maybe the mission might take priority over that nest of chaos over there. He got over it and was neck deep (lit) in Scorpoid Chaos Death shortly thereafter. (Playtest of https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/304768/Stone-and-Bone?affiliate_id=205935

• Like 1

On 5/2/2020 at 10:55 PM, Thaz said:

Oh totally. As a Pendragon veteran having stuff like that happen is great grist for the mill. The previously mentioned Storm Bull had a bit of lapse of faith really after suggesting that maybe the mission might take priority over that nest of chaos over there. He got over it and was neck deep (lit) in Scorpoid Chaos Death shortly thereafter. (Playtest of https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/304768/Stone-and-Bone?affiliate_id=205935

I must admit that I was SURPRISED AF to find that the mission was taking precedence, but was happy to run with it.

For one, I could have held it over the Storm Bull for ages.

On 4/30/2020 at 10:30 PM, Ian Absentia said:

I'd add that, along with unarmed foes, cultural mores might extend to engaging in combat with an inferior foe

That part is really rare in real-world examples, though. As has been noted for Pendragon, there is absolutely no problem for honor to cut down a poorly trained and unarmored guy with a spear who stands no chance against your armored knight. Similarly, Achilles can kill all the no-name enemy soldiers he feels like.

I doubt anyone will raise the question of honour when your Humakti PC cuts a bloody path through trollkin.

Edited by Akhôrahil