Announcing Aquelarre, the "best RPG not available in English", now available in English

MOB

Aquelarre-1365x267.png.8ee6bc4fe1be3f93c38f5fe7f5689a4a.png

A Classic Roleplaying Game

Aquelarre ("Coven") has been described as the "best RPG not available in English". And now, almost 25 years since it was first released in Spain, Aquelarre is available for English-speaking gamers! 

Originally from Spanish publisher Nosolorol, Chaosium is distributing Aquelarre after Nocturnal Media's successful Kickstarter. The English edition is a gloriously illustrated complete roleplaying game, which comes with a selection of supplements and gaming aids for long-term play. 

1533251319_ScreenShot2020-05-29at2_00_13pm.png.c5857173b1854b55a90c80f947f9f7b5.png

Game and Setting

Aquelarre offers everything you expect to find in a fantasy RPG: character creation, game system and magic system. It also includes detailed information about the medieval Iberian setting, the cosmology of angels and demons, and a bestiary.

2101890675_ScreenShot2020-05-29at1_59_47pm.png.edd11e46da5d3284582f4e0d10e18baf.png

Player characters in Aquelarre begin life in one of five kingdoms that dominated the Iberian Peninsula during the Middle Ages—Castilla, Aragón, Granada, Navarra, or Portugal. Based on their region, characters may be of various cultures—Arabian, Basque, Castilian, Catalan, Jewish, Muslim, and many more. Social position (from nobility to slave) and father’s occupation affect their capabilities, including profession. Of course, personal characteristics play their part, too. One such is the Rationality/Irrationality rating, which determines how attuned a character is with the Irrational world, how capable with magic, and how susceptible to it. Rituals of faith depend upon a high Rationality instead. Advantages and Disadvantages help to round characters out.

941537676_ScreenShot2020-05-29at1_59_58pm.png.ca54475bee1f8a98748d9b22befa46c1.png

The game system itself relies mainly on percentile rolls against either characteristic ratings or skills based on those (and on character experience). As might be expected from a game that has thrived for several decades now, rules for combat, weapons, and healing are all nicely detailed, with options to suit a variety of playing styles.

Aquelarre also includes considerable detail about medieval life in Iberia, from daily business to social mores to fairy tales, besides the expected focus on angels and demons.

The Aquelarre Line

Experience one of the finest European roleplaying games ever published and treat your play group to a different, darker fantasy campaign. Available now from Chaosium.com.

In print (comes with PDF as part of the purchase price):

Aquelarre_-Front_Cover_-_700x900__84763.1590457374.thumb.jpg.49031a280c997eb748fe880610be51de.jpg

• Like 7

What another spectacular surprise. I had been considering Aquelarre for months. As soon as I saw Chaosium distributing, it was a must-buy. Initial reaction to the PDF: Dang, this thing is DEEP. And looks like it will be solid inspiration for CoC, CoC Dark Ages and probably Invictus too!

5 hours ago, ajtheronin said:

Questions:

Asturies Medievila y Fatum Sperantia will get physical book releases?

Will you give the game its own sub-forum?

No, sorry only available in PDF

Yes.

6 hours ago, SilverSeraph said:

Will the rest of the line be translated and brought over?

It already is, on Nocturnal Media's page at DriveThruRPG.

1 hour ago, Sid Vicarious said:

I already have core book on drivethrurpg, having backed kickstarter. Is the Chaosium version any different, and if so will the drivethrurpg versions be updated?

The core rulebook we are distributing has been offset printed, rather than POD. Other than that we understand it is the same as the Nocturnal Media version on DriveThruRPG. 

1 hour ago, Sid Vicarious said:

Also, are there plans to further develop the line with scenarios and the like?

That would ultimately be up to Nolosrol, and Nocturnal Media. 

15 hours ago, MOB said:

It already is, on Nocturnal Media's page at DriveThruRPG.

I was referring to things like Ars Maleifica, Dracs, Bestiarium Hispaniae, etc. that are part of Nosorol's line, but haven't been translated to English and brought over.

I suppose the only answer to that question is, as you said to Sid, "That would ultimately be up to Nolosrol, and Nocturnal Media", but if that's the case I don't see anything else coming over.

• Like 1

Guest Vile Traveller

I like the illuminated interior, but that cover looks a bit D&D 3E ... surprised that it didn't get some matching cover art.

On 5/29/2020 at 7:40 AM, MOB said:

Aquelarre ("Coven") has been described as the "best RPG not available in English".

I think people will have different opinions on this matter. :)

Edited by Mugen
  • Like 1

On 5/29/2020 at 2:24 PM, ajtheronin said:

Auto buy!

Questions:

Asturies Medievila y Fatum Sperantia will get physical book releases?

Will you give the game its own sub-forum?

You can get these now, in English, on DriveThruRPG. I picked up both in hard cover.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 12/28/2020 at 2:05 PM, AlonsoAguilurk said:

I see there no longer are any copies  of the Core book in the US warehouse. Will they be restocked eventually?

There is no plan to do a restock of the offset printed version in the US. However, you can order the otherwise identical POD version via Nocturnal Media at DriveThruRPG.