Darkness is SIZ... Why?

Dethstrok9

Hello, as y'all know, I am a newcomer to RQG and after reading through the core rulebook I had some questions. This one is rather strange, and forgive me if it has been asked before, but why on earth is large size equivalent to the Darkness rune affinity?

If Darkness is connected to the sneak skills and shadow realm of immateriality, why then would SIZ be the choice? 

I've been thinking about it, and mainly the explanation I have is 1. many chaos or "darkness" creatures (like Trolls) have high SIZ and 2. Gluttony, lust, and violence (general evil) is associated with darkness. Although that second one seems a long shot since the Darkness rune is not specifically evil as far as I can tell...

I'm lost good and proper now, and any clarification would be appreciated:)

-Voice of the Legion

One property of Darkness is physical presence (in the face of infinite potential of space, time, and matter of the Void) as the first of the elements (according to the God Learner sequence). That translates into the characteristic of SIZ.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

3 minutes ago, Joerg said:

One property of Darkness is physical presence

But it is also stealth and general sneakyness? Which would likely equate to the opposite, no?

Obviously this is a minor nitpick, but it still seems to defeat it's purpose and contradict itself.

-Voice of the Legion

3 hours ago, Dethstrok9 said:

But it is also stealth and general sneakyness? Which would likely equate to the opposite, no?

Obviously this is a minor nitpick, but it still seems to defeat it's purpose and contradict itself.

Obstruction of Sight (the dominant sense for most non-trolls) helps with stealth, as does the property of Darkness to be less firm in shape (at least when surrounded by its own element).

Trollpak says that trolls have a hard time remaining silent. But remaining unseen is what they excel at if there is any shadow to be had.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

Darkness is vast... limitless.  Hence, SIZ.

Darkness holds many secrets.  Hence, stealth-skills.

The fact that these don't line up is... kinda irrelevant.

Glorantha is driven by myth, not by mechanical rules-synergies.

• Like 5

C'es ne pas un .sig

Trolls are big, so Darkness is big, hence SIZ.

It makes as much sense as anything else.

With the Runic associations, you have 5 elements, or 6 with Moon, and 7 Characteristics, so mapping them is always going to be an issue.

I have gleefully accepted "Because it is" as a valid Gloranthan reason for years and am happier as a result.

• Like 4

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

1 hour ago, soltakss said:

I have gleefully accepted "Because it is" as a valid Gloranthan reason for years and am happier as a result.

says the Yelmalian Storm Spear.

😁

Edited by g33k
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

9 hours ago, soltakss said:

Been talking to some in my Channel discord server and yeah. This is becoming evident as the prevalent explanation...

-Voice of the Legion

1 hour ago, Dethstrok9 said:

Been talking to some in my Channel discord server and yeah. This is becoming evident as the prevalent explanation...

There really is a tremendous amount of myth behind it all.  The deep-lore folk and anthropo-wankers can get into the details, but it's much MUCH less "random" and "just because" than it looks like at first glance.

That said... there's a perennial <wink-wink, nudge-nudge> game that gets played amongst the grognards:
  "explain why zero-physics / pure-myth-and-Rune flat(ish) lozenge Glorantha acts so damned much like pure-physics sphere of RW-Earth"

It can get profoundly creative.  It can get profoundly absurd.  It can get deeply satisfyingly mythological.  It USUALLY does all of these...  😉

• Thanks 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

Of course, one could completely change all the Runic associations randomly, and still come up with seemingly profoundly mythical reasons that they make sense :)

And now that I wrote that, I'm wondering if we could make that into a little game next time we interview someone on Wind Words.... mmmmh :D 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !