Why I don't think of Orlanthi as a naval culture

Joerg

2 hours ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

I wonder how Joy and other mysticism-esque disciplines align with the ultra-logic nature of Sorcery.

I might pattern it along the lines of Dante's Purgatory and Paradise with Joy at the top.  You follow along the lines of particular logic (probably incorporating logical steps to "climb" higher in understanding).  Each step may require particular preparation, meditation, and practices so it is completed successfully.  By achieving the next step, you can then follow the path to the subsequent one.  These might require overcoming each of the Five Elements, then overcoming each of the Eight Powers, then Mastering your self (Form) and your spirit (Spirit) to achieve the Oneness of Joy.

6 hours ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

I wonder how Joy and other mysticism-esque disciplines align with the ultra-logic nature of Sorcery.

Joy is a state of Henosis, a Neo-platonic awareness of the One Mind, whose existance is deduced through Reason.  Because the material world obscures contact with the One Mind, it is necessary to seclude oneself from distractions when trying to reach it.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

Sorcery is implicitly rational, cool, intellectual, almost the application of a mathematical algorithm; Joy is its antithesis: an emotional and ecstatic release, henosis with the transcendent One awakening the ‘inner light’ of the essential soul. The variant paths to Joy all follow the same general path of Preparation, Revelation, Return, Teaching, and ultimately, Dissolution.

Hrestolism and other cults of Joy reemerge now and then throughout Seshnela even in the late Third Age. One Rokari Watcher described it as a “plague of joyful madmen washing through the rural lands.”

See 'Men of the West' for an exploration of Western beliefs. https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/325525/Men-of-the-West?src=hottest_filtered

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

I am aware of what Joy is, but it's interesting that I seemingly got two opposite explanations for how it functions. Maybe both apply. Transcedentalism is funny stuff.

Probably depends on what definition of henosis you follow. The one I adopted is: Union and unity with the Invisible God through self-mastery. Several techniques of henosis are practiced by different Malkioni sects. For the Hrestoli the paths involve clearing the Mind, overcoming the Self, and ascending to achieve Unity with the One who existed before Being. This ascension is opposed by many - Erasanchula, zzaburi wizards, and other forces, but once it is achieved, the state of Joy has been reached.

If you explore its basis in terrestrial philosophies and religions, you'll also find a variety of methodologies, ranging from meditation to ritual, to certain types of prayer.

As noted, there is undoubtedly more than one Gloranthan route to Joy.

[This probably deserves its own thread.]

Edited by M Helsdon
  • Like 1