Freeing a deity and Cult lore and Worship skills

Brootse

Freeing a deity is some serious heroquest-y shit.
A priest/ess involved in freeing them, and undertaking to begin a cult to them, seems like they'd be the "High P." of said Cult.

I presume most Deities would instruct their new HP until they were at least 90% Worship, and something high-ish (60%?  80%?) Lore.  This is also on-par with what I'd expect from most heroquest activities -- a REALLY serious powerup, not a 25% n00bskill.

YGMV

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

5 hours ago, g33k said:

A priest/ess involved in freeing them, and undertaking to begin a cult to them, seems like they'd be the "High P." of said Cult.

I presume most Deities would instruct their new HP until they were at least 90% Worship, and something high-ish (60%?  80%?) Lore.  This is also on-par with what I'd expect from most heroquest activities -- a REALLY serious powerup, not a 25% n00bskill.

YGMV

In this case, how long would the study session last? 

40 minutes ago, ItsRhetorical said:

In this case, how long would the study session last? 

I presume the deity would take their new HP off to GodTime (if they weren't already there).
In the Middle World, hardly any time at all (unless the deity wishes otherwise).

But for this, YGMV even more than usual!!!  😉

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

22 hours ago, g33k said:

YGMV

I seem remember that in Balazar, you could free Firshala with a Dispel Magic 4.  So I guess Your Deity May Vary as well 🙂

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Revilo Divad Of Dyoll said:

I seem remember that in Balazar, you could free Firshala with a Dispel Magic 4.  So I guess Your Deity May Vary as well 🙂

Yeah, in Glorantha awakening gods can be a heroic achievement, but it can also be less so.

For Orgorvale Summer, as this is presented as a Spirit cult I did not give any special treatment for Worship or cult Lore - and only gave a base Devotion 60% to the PCs that founded the cult.  There is no indication that anything else is warranted - these will all grow as the PC's endeavor to expand the cult.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, g33k said:

I presume the deity would take their new HP off to GodTime (if they weren't already there).
In the Middle World, hardly any time at all (unless the deity wishes otherwise).

nice idea. I would say the "off time" in mundane world would be a year or more : from sacred time to sacred time next year or from greatest (the only one ?) holy day to greatest holy day. Becoming the Highest Priest of a god requests some sacrifice after all.

but another way should be a mundane activity, worshipping day after day, dreaming night after night (=> occupational activities + training from the god + 1d10 or +1d6+6 by season)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/5/2020 at 2:45 PM, g33k said:

While the OP specifically mentions "freeing" a deity, the more general case of "establishing a new cult for a previously forgotten deity" is fairly common...

Spoiler tags don't work right now, sadly, but I don't think it's too spoilery to say that it can easily happen with starter characters at the end of "The Broken Tower" for instance.

Edited by lordabdul

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

4 hours ago, lordabdul said:

While the OP specifically mentions "freeing" a deity, the more general case of "establishing a new cult for a previously forgotten deity" is fairly common...

Spoiler tags don't work right now, sadly, but I don't think it's too spoilery to say that it can easily happen with starter characters at the end of "The Broken Tower" for instance.

[spoiler]test[/spoiler]