Malleus Monstrorum Slipcase Set is out!

MOB

1528073778_ScreenShot2020-12-15at9_53_06am.png.4aa89c2f57e7b414dcdb771fa9368523.png

Here, shall you know the terrors of the void, the nightmare bringers, and the unspeakable lurkers...

We have - at last! - released the Malleus Monstorum Slipcase Set. Due to Covid-19 shipping delays it has unfortunately taken longer than expected. 

Malleus Monstrorum Standard Edition

The Malleus Monstrorum Slipcase Set is currently available from our US and Australian warehouses. 

Here's our latest information about when it will be available from our other warehouse locations: 

• CANADA and EU (Poland): January.
  • UK: Mid-January.

Malleus Monstroum Leatherette Edition

• Although the special Malleus Monstrorum Leatherette edition was shipped at the same time as the standard version, it has not yet arrived at our US warehouse. We expect the Leatherettes to be available in the US and AUS in January.
  • The Leatherette edition is due to arrive at our CAN, EU, and UK warehouses at the same time as the standard edition and will go on sale at the same time.

Coupons for existing PDF purchasers

Dustin has emailed the discount coupons to everyone who has already purchased the Malleus Monstrorum in PDF. If you are not in the United States or Australia, or are awaiting the Leatherette edition, we ask that you wait until copies are available from your usual shipping location. 

If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact Dustin directly: customerservice@chaosium.com.

Please note, the Covid-19 pandemic is causing disruptions to international freight movements, and these dates are all contingent on factors beyond our control. We appreciate your patience and support of our company!

'Chaosium Unveiled' takes a look inside the slipcase set:

Edited by MOB
  • Like 4

• MOB featured and pinned this topic

It is appreciated when other posters express their situations. I’me experiencing the same thing here in NZ, where we would expect deliveries from Australia. 

My experience from Chaosium deliveries this year, and other companies too, is that everything is delayed with Covid. There could be other explanations for this delivery too but, honestly, as long as you are patient these things will get through.

• Like 1

Update: A media mail package that I ordered on December 4th is just scheduled to arrive today. And I usually receive stuff earlier than the estimate here in the middle of the US, because I'm right near Kansas City, a major hub.  Chaosium warehouse packages ship from Minnesota and usually arrive at me within 3-4 business days, even on Media Mail.  So, I think it's important for everyone to remember that Media Mail is a very low priority for the Post Office. That is why it is cheap for the consumer. Under these circumstances, it's important to acknowledge that Media Mail usually taking a week under "normal" circumstances means that millions of packages have jumped in front of them in the cue under these circumstances. So, hopefully that we are past Christmas now, our Malleus' will enter the distribution system?

1 minute ago, kross said:

My Malleus is now scheduled for delivery today in central Iowa.

Dang Kevin, I didn't know you were so close! And that bodes well for me in Omaha for the near future. We both probably have Des Moines as the distribution point for Chaosium products. Still no update on my tracking though. Maybe you ordered a few hours before me and got in an early batch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, klecser said:

Dang Kevin, I didn't know you were so close! And that bodes well for me in Omaha for the near future. We both probably have Des Moines as the distribution point for Chaosium products. Still no update on my tracking though. Maybe you ordered a few hours before me and got in an early batch.

Well, mine was a "contributor's copy", so those were probably shipped just a tad earlier. (I say "contributor's copy" because I don't even know how much stuff they used of mine, all of which would have been written years ago for the original MM and the then-planned follow-up MM2.)

And some advice for those of you with the original 6th ed MM: DON'T sell your old one before you've clapped eyes on the new one. From what I understand, much was left out of the new edition, so if you want access to ALL the beasties, you'll want to hang onto the original before throwing it out on Ebay.

P.S. Mine's here, but I haven't cracked it yet.

• Like 2

Can anyone identify for me the monster on the cover of Volume 1? Volume 2 is Xada-Hgla, but I've scoured the PDFs of both volumes and can't find the name of the cover art monster for Volume 1? Is it Abhoth?

Edited by klecser

The Swedish gaming site Spelkult has a fascinating discussion about the Malleus Monstrorum with Cthulhu of Cthulhu creative director Mike Mason, horror writer Gabrielle de Bourg, and editor of the Swedish edition of Call of Cthulhu Jonas Larsson Olanders.

• Like 3

Why is Scott Aniolowski never invited to take part in these discussions of the book he originally helped create? Surely he could offer a great deal of insight as to what went into choosing and creating the creatures which went into the book?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kross said:

Why is Scott Aniolowski never invited to take part in these discussions of the book he originally helped create? Surely he could offer a great deal of insight as to what went into choosing and creating the creatures which went into the book?

Do you know for a fact that he's "never invited," or are you speculating? Note that I don't have any awareness of the amount of work that Scott put into this second edition. But I do notice that he isn't listed as the first author on this edition. And there can be quite a gulf between first and second author based upon production, I'm guessing? So, the real question is, why should anyone feel entitled to involvement in how a product is marketed? Maybe that's spelled out in contracts, but whether it is or isn't, that's ultimately a contract or Chaosium decision, not an author or fan decision.

As someone who is newer to the community, one of the first things I've noticed (because it's practically screamed-it isn't subtle-it's like a bull in a china shop) is the sense of entitlement the "Old Guard" of the game feels towards the current line and company. I left Yog-Sothoth for a couple of very good reasons. It is NOT a welcoming environment to new voices and players, from my experience. It is dominated by a lot of cranky grognards that don't seem too eager to grow the game beyond their insular groups. And real talk: Call of Cthulhu is exploding in spite of efforts by some members of the community to shun and criticize it. It's just sad, frankly. And then I also left because I was tired of new fans posting questions and getting crickets from the people who couldn't be bothered to help.

So, as a newer player, would I like to hear from any author? Sure. But I don't feel like I'm entitled to direct marketing direction (or anything really) from Chaosium and Call of Cthulhu. For absolute certain, if I were trying to make a fan request of a company, and expected it to gain any traction at all, I'd start my request with: "I would really love to hear from Scott in a future marketing interview for this project." As a professional educator, I have never seen any of my colleagues get what they wanted from framing the conversation with a passive-aggressive "Why haven't you done this???"

Edited by klecser
  • Like 2