Deadwood

Lordabdul

North-east of Alone, nestled against the Indigo Mountains, is a place called "Deadwood" (not to be confused with the "Woods of the Dead", also near Alone!!). I've got some questions for the tribe:

1. Is there any relation with the "Deadwood" of the God Learners map in the Sourcebook? (p122) I guess not, I think that one is a predecessor to the Aldryami forests of Fronela?
  2. The old HW Dragon Pass gazeteer mentions that the trees there sacrificed their life essence to allow the passage of the local Dragonewt king upon his death (p20). I have no idea how that makes sense... what's the relationship between trees and dragons here? (I might change the origin story anyway)
  3. I have something in my notes (can't remember where I got it from) that this Deadwood has zombie Aldryami tending to their dead groves. What would be the elves' opinion(s) on undead?

Thanks for any ideas/references/etc!

• Like 1

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

• 1 month later...
14 minutes ago, kr0p0s said:

From the wiki:

1171 ST Lord One Ex creates Deadwood after being refused burial.

From this it appears that the dragonewt may have cursed the wood after its cycle of rebirth was interrupted or broken.

The wiki is wrong here.

On 3/2/2021 at 2:09 AM, Jeff said:

The wiki is wrong here.

No so much wrong as quoting from an outdated source, i.e. the HW Dragon Pass Gazeteer (p20):

This stretch of forest has been dead for 550 years. When Lord One
Ex died and was refused burial, his dragon-self spoke, and the life
essences of all the trees sacrificed themselves to allow his passage.
His body, miles away, peeled away from the supernatural fires and
he went on to transcendent successes. The woods have never re-
covered from that mystical burn; this is a lifeless forest of molder-
ing, blackened trees.

We've had a few exchanges of ideas with Shannon over on Facebook where I posted the same questions, but it was mostly about what undead aldryami might look like. I don't think anything was said about what happened to the forest there to become this Deadwood, so I guess I'll invent my own backstory for now!

Edited by lordabdul

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

Warhammer Dryads/ Age of Sigmar Sylvaneth make for some pretty sweet Aldryami inspo in general i find!

Armies on Parade winner shows off his Sylvaneth best ...

These are Kurnoth Hunters done by Steve Wren. I chose this photo over the official one on the Games Workshop store page because the addition of flock really sells them, honestly. The only real change that you'd have to do to make the Sylvaneth range more Gloranthesque is maybe swap out some of the more ostentatious weapons for historically grounded ones.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/2/2021 at 8:52 PM, Ladygolem said:

Warhammer Dryads/ Age of Sigmar Sylvaneth make for some pretty sweet Aldryami inspo in general i find!

Armies on Parade winner shows off his Sylvaneth best ...

These are Kurnoth Hunters done by Steve Wren. I chose this photo over the official one on the Games Workshop store page because the addition of flock really sells them, honestly. The only real change that you'd have to do to make the Sylvaneth range more Gloranthesque is maybe swap out some of the more ostentatious weapons for historically grounded ones.

If you put leaves on those bows and painted them green instead of mettaliic, you'd have acceptable Elf Bows.  I hadn't been aware of that mins line.  What are the other weapons you's have to swap out?

Those are extremely good (but pricey) figures for forest guardian types.  Way too large for standard Aldryami though.    I was looking at the old Mirilton wood elves for those.  They might mix well, honestly, with the size of the huge Sylvaneth looking more like trees against the diminutive mirlton elves.

My own painting has stalled temporarily due to RL, but the quest continues.

WE001-A502.jpg

https://mirliton.it/wood-elves/wood-elf-archers-we001

• Like 1