Belintar

jajagappa

53 minutes ago, Hijabg said:

To bring this back to the main subject, Belintar, would this mean he had to emulate or amalgamate some older forgotten deities to establish his own godhead ?

On 2/9/2021 at 7:26 AM, jajagappa said:

Now if this looks familiar - it is. You should immediately think of two other rulers that more or less operated this way: the Only Old One and the Red Emperor.

And here it is from Jeff's original FB postings - Belintar took on some of the powers or processes of the OOO.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Hijabg said:

I've had the impression that the path to become a god was to take the role of an older deity that had been forgotten and that it was not possible to add new "signatures" to the contract. I draw a parallel with the corporate world: you can see the Great Compromise as a contract signed by corporations. Even if the CEO of any of the companies signing the pact was to change down the line, the corporation itself would still be forced to obey the clauses of the contract as it was originally signed.

that could be, yes (well for Glorantha, in our world, we can create new corporation, does that mean I am a god ? need more than one worshipper, however 😉 )

But as chaos exists in time, new "things/concept/rune/power/god" could be created too. After all, compromise is a net, not stasis: AS trapped chaos, she didn't "freeze" it

It might warrant a visit from the Gift Carriers, but if you think about it maybe the real pact is between the Runes themselves. It's a deal made to unify and protect the integrity of the raw powers, elements and conditions that define Glorantha, by themselves and among themselves. If gods are masks interfacing between us mortals and the raw Runic forces, then maybe gods are just subject to the Compromise, which would be a myth to help us understand the cosmological reality that his beyond the reach of common men.

a very nice point. Then that raises some question about few powers:

Did/Can/"Want"  Eurmal/Disorder/Illusion sign and commit definitly anything?

It also raises questions about the existence of the chaos rune and its real role in the Great Compromise: if it's bound by its rules now, can we consider that chaos signed it too ?

that a good question too... That raises other  :

What is chaos rune:  a true power or a gloranthan (morta or god) representation of the entropy vomming into the world ?

I just have the hypothesis that chaos rune has no power  by itself(rune shape has fixed "boundaries", how can it be for chaos ?)

Are Gloranthan people who uses chaos rune really using chaos power positively or are they denying other runes power by this way? (// with the dispel technic in sorcery) After all, they are bound in glorantha, so they are bound with a world of "law"

Is it possible to use chaos ? can you catch and design the form you want with only one material, gaz?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hijabg said:
On 3/7/2021 at 9:06 AM, French Desperate WindChild said:

Do they need to sign (metaphoricaly) the compromise to become a god ?

I've had the impression that the path to become a god was to take the role of an older deity that had been forgotten and that it was not possible to add new "signatures" to the contract. I draw a parallel with the corporate world: you can see the Great Compromise as a contract signed by corporations. Even if the CEO of any of the companies signing the pact was to change down the line, the corporation itself would still be forced to obey the clauses of the contract as it was originally signed. 

Becoming a worshipped deity means that you have had to become part pf the Compromise.

If you don't become part of the Compromise then you are not a deity, just a powerful Hero, or SuperHero.

Part of the GodQuest is the acceptance of the Compromise in some way. The Red Goddess didn't do it when she returned from GodTime, nor when she ascended o the Red Moon, but did it at Castle Blue, where she proved that she had always been part of the Compromise, but nobody else had noticed her.

Personally, I think that Nysalor/Gbaji struggled because he did not weave himself into the Compromise, having been born outside it.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

The accepted path for a mortal to become a fully fledged deity is to ascend, to leave the mortal existence behind. Examples of this include Vingkot, Pavis, Sartar and the Lunar ascended deities.

Becoming a demigod (other than being born such) usually means to merge with a (manifest) divine existence, or (e.g. in case of Belintar) several of those. Individuals like Vingkot, Redaylde and Orgorvalte were born as demigods, but then ascended.

Gods apparently feed on worship in order to influence the world (rather than just maintaining an otherworld existence). There are known cases of people ascending to an otherworld without much if any influence on the world, like for instance Moirades, although he may just be biding his time before becoming one of the Egi of his son with Jar-eel,

• Like 2

Telling how it is excessive verbis