Authenticity Question...

14 minutes ago, Zenith Comics Presents... said:

Is this a legit print copy or did I get scammed with some sort of POD thing?

Hide contents

156199104_271917984609466_786245025311841139_o.thumb.jpg.520da79606faaa63cdf8c0fb85630770.jpg

Well -- Chaosium doesn't sell a print copy of the quick-start, and the PDF is a free download.

That looks like someone applied a sepia tone overlay of the grey-scale cover page of the PDF to make it look like the full BRP rules (which is also PDF, just $$)

12 hours ago, NickMiddleton said:

I have a comp copy as a contributor, and it looks like that - iirc they did sell print copies at one point, for those who wanted hard copy.

Yeah, but it didn't have that white boarder, did it? Mine doesn't have the white boarder.

Edit: Oops, never mind. Saw it was the Quickstart rules. Going to go drink my morning coffee now....

Edited by Chaot
  • Haha 2

70/420

1 hour ago, Rick Meints said:

My BRP quickstart has that same white border.

But wouldn't your BRP quickstart be considered "legitimate" simply via your being part owner of Chaosium, even if it wasn't originally? 😊

It's like using a forged check to draw money from your own bank account!😁

Honestly, I think the border issue might be down to printer or paper settings. Maybe it was formatted on 8.5"x11" and printed on A4 paper, or vice versa? "Fit to Page" wasn't checked, or some such. 

Edited by Atgxtg

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

8 hours ago, Atgxtg said:

But wouldn't your BRP quickstart be considered "legitimate" simply via your being part owner of Chaosium, even if it wasn't originally? 😊

It's like using a forged check to draw money from your own bank account!😁

Honestly, I think the border issue might be down to printer or paper settings. Maybe it was formatted on 8.5"x11" and printed on A4 paper, or vice versa? "Fit to Page" wasn't checked, or some such. 

It might have been a mistake, but if the book was supposed to be without that white border, it would be a very odd paper size. Chaosium only formatted things for US paper sizes. Yes, foreign licensees could reformat to a different paper size, but Chaosium never did so for its own publications and printings. If you eliminate the white border the book would have been oddly smaller than expected, and doesn't line up to any typical paper and trim sizes.

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

On 3/3/2021 at 10:49 PM, Rick Meints said:

It might have been a mistake, but if the book was supposed to be without that white border, it would be a very odd paper size. Chaosium only formatted things for US paper sizes. Yes, foreign licensees could reformat to a different paper size, but Chaosium never did so for its own publications and printings. If you eliminate the white border the book would have been oddly smaller than expected, and doesn't line up to any typical paper and trim sizes.

Yeah, unless somebody accidentally resized it or altered the aspect ratio. It's easy enough to make a mistake when formatting, editing or  printing. I don't know how many times I've accidentally started to print an entire PDF when I just wanted a table or character sheet for a game session. 😃

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.