HELP... mechanics of intimidation in Mythras

FungusColombicus

How the mechanics of intimidation work for a character such as a Maran Gor ? There is no specific skill (standard or professional) that covers intimidation, so the alternatives (other than role the act of intimidating by the player and assign an opposing throw of willpower) are a combined use of insight + either influence or deception. I believe this process should be straight forward become an exercise in crunching numbers and throw dices.

Any suggestions, or can anybody point me to the right place in the rules on how to handle this situation by a PC or NPC?

You can handle intimidation in a few ways.

• Straightforward Influence versus Willpower in an Opposed Roll.
  • Influence, augmented by an appropriate Passion for Maran Gor, versus Willpower in an Opposed Roll.
  • An extended Task, as described on page 287, using appropriate skills and Passions.
  • Use the extended Social Conflict rules found in the Mythras companion.
  • Provide the Maran Gor character with the 'Intimidate' trait found in the Creature chapter on page 216, as part of their Combat Style or as a Cult ability.
  • Or, if you prefer, create Intimidate as a new Professional Skill and add it to the character sheet.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

On 4/13/2021 at 2:15 PM, Khorien said:

Or just use Influence and add SIZ as bonus

Rather than that, I would make it an Influence roll augmented with Brawn. That keeps it based on existing rules.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

a good idea in principle... but I know people of small stature (size) that had a threatening presence and some other large guys that are close to Hello Kitty and even with the large size it would be comical to see them trying to threat someone.

On 4/13/2021 at 8:25 AM, lawrence.whitaker said:

Influence, augmented by an appropriate Passion for Maran Gor, versus Willpower in an Opposed Roll.

I like this very much... it involves the "divine inspiration" of the deity.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FungusColombicus said:

a good idea in principle... but I know people of small stature (size) that had a threatening presence and some other large guys that are close to Hello Kitty and even with the large size it would be comical to see them trying to threat someone.

Wouldn't that be funny? A good rpg opportunity.

By the way I suppose that a 8 feet Hello Kitty could convince my Halfling player to step aside. Luckly I don't have any Hello Kitty in my campaign; not yet. Anyway you are right: SIZ bonus not always work.

8 hours ago, threedeesix said:

Rather than that, I would make it an Influence roll augmented with Brawn. That keeps it based on existing rules.

IMHO that could work but not always: what about the threatening Gnome master assassin concealed under his cape? A character can see death in his eyes while he stares the pc asking for informations

Maybe Straightforward Influence versus Willpower in an Opposed Roll as Lawrence suggested is the easiest solution.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I think adjusting the difficulty level according to the difference in Damage Modifiers, as is done in grappling, would work well, taking into account the size and strength of the characters involved.

• Like 1

I just had to do that this last weekend with a PC trying to scare an alpha male wolf.

The absolute simplest solution is a straight up POW v. POW roll with modifiers, or perhaps averaging CHA and POW of each contestant on the Resistance Table.

As Gunny Hartman says from Full Metal Jacket "Lemme see yer war face!" 😁

War Face.jpg

On 4/16/2021 at 1:50 AM, threedeesix said:

And don't forget to modify Brawn according to the difference in Damage Bonus, so that your Durulz with 110% Brawn but DB -1d4 only uses a fraction of his skill.

• 3 weeks later...

But could it depend upon the full skill still  if you play it right in roleplay.  For example In Missisippi Burning movie the grip by the lawman was augmenting his influence - and he was a bit smaller than the Missisippi resident he was gripping.