Pirates and Cthulhu on Kickstarter

Ejlertson

I find it interesting that this one blasts through it's funding in less than three hours and another CoC KS struggles to fund/unlock stretch goals. I have an idea as to why that is. We have small CoC publishers who are consistent in turning out projects on time (three-six months past estimate), and not starting new projects until the existing ones complete. And we have other small publishers starting one or more projects before others are fulfilled, and consistently completing projects six months to a year after projected completion date. Fans are fatigued on the second model. Pandemic is a factor, to be sure. But to be fair, this model was in full swing pre-pandemic too. Publishing is hard. I get that. Yet, some are able to do it nearly on time and with success. I know my opinion isn't popular. But, I'd like to think that if fan standards were higher, product execution would be driven by that. Keeping silent doesn't change things. And we DID change things at SF by speaking out.

Edited by klecser
  • Like 2

There where several reasons that I did not back the other campaign you are mentioning, but track record was one of my metrics.
If people are constantly late/off target for their projections and keep being overly optimistic on new campaigns, its a warning sing in my book.

Another factor was new scenarious by new writers I have no connection or knowledge off, and the scenarios had nothing in common and where all over the place period and theme wise.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, klecser said:

and another CoC KS struggles to fund/unlock stretch goals.

6 hours ago, Ejlertson said:

There where several reasons that I did not back the other campaign you are mentioning,

What other campaign are we talking about? Is there a reason to make it so cryptic <smells scandal>

On 4/22/2021 at 6:21 AM, klecser said:

I have an idea as to why that is. We have small CoC publishers who are consistent in turning out projects on time (three-six months past estimate), and not starting new projects until the existing ones complete. And we have other small publishers starting one or more projects before others are fulfilled, and consistently completing projects six months to a year after projected completion date. Fans are fatigued on the second model.

Eh, I'm a little more skeptical that it's a reflection of a discerning analysis on the part of buyers. My guess is it has more to do with "Ooh, pirates!" That's a flashy, eye-catching theme (vs. the other Kickstarter project that didn't have nearly as clear a unifying theme). Regardless of publisher, the Call of Cthulhu Kickstarter projects defined by a clear time period & locale seem to be among the most successful.

But I'm admittedly someone who backed the other project and will probably sit this one out--because I prefer my Call of Cthulhu in the 1920s, and because while I wish more Kickstarter publishers were clear-eyed and up front about their actual production timelines, I've come to accept that a project delivered to completion within 12 months of the advertised finish line is more-or-less on time. I'm probably part of the problem for accepting that.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Joe Kenobi said:

Eh, I'm a little more skeptical that it's a reflection of a discerning analysis on the part of buyers. My guess is it has more to do with "Ooh, pirates!" That's a flashy, eye-catching theme (vs. the other Kickstarter project that didn't have nearly as clear a unifying theme). Regardless of publisher, the Call of Cthulhu Kickstarter projects defined by a clear time period & locale seem to be among the most successful.

I agree that this is a factor. It is not lost on me the effect that "Arrgh, Golden Age of Piracy, Matey!" has on people. 😉 

11 hours ago, Joe Kenobi said:

But I'm admittedly someone who backed the other project and will probably sit this one out--because I prefer my Call of Cthulhu in the 1920s, and because while I wish more Kickstarter publishers were clear-eyed and up front about their actual production timelines, I've come to accept that a project delivered to completion within 12 months of the advertised finish line is more-or-less on time. I'm probably part of the problem for accepting that.

My personal take is that when you have small publishers that prove that they can concentrate on one project and have a shorter timeline, it makes for a pretty strong argument that long timelines on multiple simultaneous projects is a choice. Not a necessity. 

• Like 2

On 4/22/2021 at 5:43 PM, sgtscott658 said:

I too would be interested in other kickstarters for CoC. I know there is a Vietnam one but I cant find it anymore.

Believe this is what you are thinking of:  https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/singularity-sons/journal-dindochine/

Backed it.Just got the PDFs and think on track to get printed copies in the next month or two.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SAVeira said:

Believe this is what you are thinking of:  https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/singularity-sons/journal-dindochine/

Backed it.Just got the PDFs and think on track to get printed copies in the next month or two.

1 hour ago, sgtscott658 said:

Yup, I was able to get on the pre order list, got both the book and pdf.

Good books.  I have their other one as well. 

On 4/22/2021 at 4:43 PM, sgtscott658 said:

I too would be interested in other kickstarters for CoC. I know there is a Vietnam one but I cant find it anymore.

I am not aware of a Vietnam book for CoC, but there is The Borellus Connection for Fall of Cthulhu. YOu can order it here -> https://site.pelgranepress.com/index.php/the-borellus-connection/

If you get it let us know how it is. I am thinking of ordering it too.

* Just found this. I know nothing about it -> 

Edited by rsanford

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!

Sons of the Singularity have put out two supplements that I have.

The first was The Sassoon Files for Call of Cthulhu/GUMSHOE that takes place in 1920's Shanghai.

The second was Journal d’Indochine for Call of Cthulhu that takes place in 1920's Vietnam.