A house

Squaredeal Sten

Is there any option that, in a gloranthan house,a lot of gods or spirits protect you from the smoke   ? (maybe more global than your proposal @Joerg , but your my direct inspiration there, for sure).

Ernalda / Dendara ? / any family deity ... would enjoy to help you to save your children from bad winter : the wall / the ground / or any related earth matieral may absorb the smoke

A gentle breeze spirit may disperse it,

A yelm[al]ian-lodrili spirit may order the smoke spirit to not hurt its followers, or why not inspire them.

3 hours ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

Is there any option that, in a gloranthan house,a lot of gods or spirits protect you from the smoke   ? (maybe more global than your proposal @Joerg , but your my direct inspiration there, for sure).

I have been a longtime proponent of an idea I saw In Thunder Rebels. The grandmothers would get up before the majority and take bags full of winds down from where they hung and release the small gusts to chase off miasmas, smokes, bad airs and petty spirits of illness. When this was done, the winds would return to their bags, ready for the next day, just in time for the for the early risers to awake to a fresh hearth!

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Like 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

This was a really good article about Roman household economics that we were passing around as Chris finished writing Citizens: The Dark Side of the Coin.

I urge everyone not to try making an "authentic Bronze Age economic simulation." You wouldn't want to play in one, after all. Just get an idea of what really big stuff is worth, then remember that you don't own any of it and vast random stuff (Civil Wars, Floods, Dragons) will screw you over if you ever start getting comfortable and complacent.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

It was the standard large home in Scandinavia for thousands of years.

This is how iron and viking age long-houses work as well.
Image result for iron age longhouse | Järnåldern

Yes I am well aware of these.  I have even been to Fotevikens living museum in Norway.  They are still huts imo.  I just can't call a dwelling without a chimney a house.

3 hours ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

Is there any option that, in a gloranthan house,a lot of gods or spirits protect you from the smoke   ?

You're exactly correct.

"Chimneys are rare, for stead ‘hearth maidens’ (minor wind daimones) control stray drafts and spiral smoke from the fire up into the rafters, where it is spun into tiny rainbow-sheened balls of ash."
—Thunder Rebels

• Thanks 1

I 100% think not of Scandinavia. We're in a warm part of the world in southern Genertela; the Sun-cultists in the north are in cold places. It gets cold by vertical height in Orlanthi and Praxian territories, or if you are in the underground with the trolls.

Which is why I constantly think of the regions as being more like Transcaucasia: this roof is metal but in the older days it would be wood, slate or tile. These are Armenian houses in Turkey (the Hemshin weren't purged because the Turks don't realise they are Armenians).

Hamshen Armenians | ՍԱՆԱՀԻՆԻՆ ԿԱՐԾԻՔՈՎA brief history of Hamshen - PeopleOfAr

• Like 1

Nick Brooke, thanks for the link to the Masters thesis.  I am reading it now -

i also note that Rome was Iron Age, and the little I have read about Bronze Age economics indicates it was less monetized:   more temple, village, and clan based, more emphasis on trade in favors than trade for cash. 

Even though the origin of banking is Bronze Age, and the origin of long distance trade is Stone Age.

So when I think about Gloranthan economics, although I may calculate in money, I try to remember that money is a New Thing, and that giving a feast or a luxury or any other benefit to an individual or to the community may be

- a display of, or in pursuit of, or maintenance of, social rank, or

-a move to accumulate obligations, which may be called on later,

and a lot of consumption may move through those channels rather than for cash. 

Remember, people kill and die for social rank, it's a Big Thing now, or a century ago, or ten thousand years ago; or on Glorantha.

Now how to role-play that out ..... that's the challenge.

Edited by Squaredeal Sten
2d to last paragraph
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

I 100% think not of Scandinavia. We're in a warm part of the world in southern Genertela; the Sun-cultists in the north are in cold places. It gets cold by vertical height in Orlanthi and Praxian territories, or if you are in the underground with the trolls.

Or in Aggar/Talastar/Anadikki/Brolia.

But that has little bearing on whether chimneys are necessary. They're a surprisingly late development.

Edited by Akhôrahil
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Akhôrahil said:

Or in Aggar/Talastar/Anadadikki/Brolia.

But that has little bearing on whether chimneys are necessary. They're a surprisingly late development.

yes, true. on the other hand, we have no idea what the state of invention is. we could have chimneys in Genertela; it's Bronze Age-equivalent but it also isn't the real world and has a lot of differences. Wind spirits might have taught the Orlanthis about ventilation as "sacred holes" for the spirits to clear the air through, and similarly for the frozen hosts of the Solar pantheons. Convection heating and cooling is incredibly efficient and was in use extremely early in time.

Shamans might also have learned of calefactors like chimineas for cooler nights from the lowfires.

Nobody wants a hot indoor kitchen, and Orlanthis are clan societies. Clan cultures engage in group cooking for daily meals, and when it's time to move to the real highlands, where it might be cold enough, suddenly you need a building to cook in. Then the big cooking needs to be indoors in the clan kitchen, and it needs to be a calefactor to drain that smoke. Nobody is wielding knives with numb fingers. Thus the chimney is born.

Below is a chiminea for those of you who don't live in desert areas of the Mexican North and American Southwest - it heats the outdoor of your house area where people sit when it's too cool. You can use it to heat small things, too, like tubers or boiling water in rural areas, and heating stones for bedclothes. Stone-lined patios heat up during the day and hold the heat, too, especially if the stone is dark.

Jumbo Natural Terracotta Clay Chimenea - savvysurf.co.uk

1 hour ago, Akhôrahil said:

"Chimneys are rare, for stead ‘hearth maidens’ (minor wind daimones) control stray drafts and spiral smoke from the fire up into the rafters, where it is spun into tiny rainbow-sheened balls of ash."

Beat you to it Ak, look a few posts up thread.

• Like 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!