Constantine, BRP ready?

Just finished watching Constantine with Keanu Reeves <whoa>. And as bad as one might think it could be... my first 10 minutes looking at Keanu Reeves' Honolulu good looks and black hair had me thinking. ‘this is as poorly cast as Interview with a Scientologist... Vampire!'’ Thankfully, I was wrong and it was not John Wicks vs the Devil. Soon after getting into the groove of a back haired John Constantine, that I kept expecting to take out hordes of demons with a HB #2 pencil, I relaxed and started thinking this is ready to be BRPed! I mean if Great Cthulhu could be brought down to BRP level, surely the world is ready for John Constantine’s LimbQuest?

Anyone else thinking so?

Edited by Bill the barbarian

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

4 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Just finished watching Constantine with Keanu Reeves <whoa>. And as bad as one might think it could be... my first 10 minutes looking at Keanu Reeves' Honolulu good looks and black hair had my thinking. ‘this is as poorly cast as Interview with a Scientologist... Vampire!’ Thankfully, I was wrong and it was not John Wicks vs the Devil. Soon after getting into the groove of a back haired John Constantine, that I kept expecting to take out hordes of demons with a HB #2 pencil, I relaxed and started thinking this is ready to be BRPed! I mean if Great Cthulhu could be brought down to BRP level, surely the world is ready for John Constantine’s Limb Quest?

Anyone else thinking so?

absolutely

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, thefub said:

I think it would work. You may want to try using the demon creation rules from Advanced Sorcery.

2 hours ago, thefub said:

I think it would work. You may want to try using the demon creation rules from Advanced Sorcery.

So you think that AS will bring the necessary demonology to make Constantine’s LimbQuest a possibility for home use? Not having the BGB, something I will have to resolve, I could get Magic World and Advanced Sorcery. MW is a prerequisite for AS isn’t it?

On 7/11/2021 at 6:09 PM, Bill the barbarian said:

So you think that AS will bring the necessary demonology to make Constantine’s LimbQuest a possibility for home use? Not having the BGB, something I will have to resolve, I could get Magic World and Advanced Sorcery. MW is a prerequisite for AS isn’t it?

You can use AS for the summoning without MW. It has rules for creating, binding, etc. and the BGB has sorcery magic which has summon demon. 

I am not terribly familiar with Constantine series of comics and saw the movie a while back but I think with BRP you can do modern horror well and the demon creation in AS is really fun. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SunlessNick said:

The upcoming Rivers of London game sounds like it would be ideal for this.

Except that the Constantine movie takes place in (*cough-cough*) Los Angeles.

I know, I know.  I'm being picky.  It was actually an okay movie, with some really great imagery -- just not really the comic book Hellblazer's John Constantine.  As the basis of a gaming adventure, it'd be okay, too.   Can we have a mash-up based on Keanu Reeves?  John Wick: Hellblazer.

That said, I have no sense of the tone of the Rivers of London books or the game planned for them, or how appropriate it might be for this.

!i!

Edited by Ian Absentia
  • Haha 1

carbon copy logo smallest.jpg  ...developer of White Rabbit Green

3 minutes ago, SunlessNick said:

I know, but I think so anyway.

Okay.  What have we heard about Rivers of London that sounds like it'd mesh with the movie?  Or the comic on which it was loosely based and reinterpreted for US audiences.

!i!

IIIUC Rivers of London is about relatively low-key magic that the protagonist has to incorporate with their other talents and strategies (obviously con-artistry in John's case), and features a protagonist with a foot or hand in several different worlds - occult, mundane, police/criminal - which sometimes requires them to stretch their metaphorical limbs to an uncomfortable degree.  If the game captures that, it will work well for the real Hellblazer or its adaptations.

(I don't actually think Constantine is as bad an adaptation as it's often made out to be, though that might be because of the cataclysmically low expectations I had for it.  It did amuse me that All His Engines came out at much the same time as the film, where John is in Los Angeles and part of the pressure is that it's not his town the way London is.  I will give the film credit for the best vision of Hell ever set to screen)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ian Absentia said:

Except that the Constantine movie takes place in (*cough-cough*) Los Angeles.

We'll have to wait for Storm Drains of Los Angeles then.

• Haha 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

3 hours ago, soltakss said:

We'll have to wait for Storm Drains of Los Angeles then.

We have GTA for that (no, not Grand Theft: Antelope, sigh)

1 hour ago, Ian Absentia said:

There actually are rivers in LA.  They're just lined with concrete and usually dry.

Urban planning at its finest (sigh).

41 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Urban planning at its finest (sigh).

It actually has at least as much to do with water rights and resource management.  Now that's what I wish the Rivers of London game was about!  But, yeah.  Recognise this from Repo Man?  Or Grease, for that matter. [Edit: Or, duh-doi, GTA!]
ap_582569136085.jpg?w=1200

!i!

Edited by Ian Absentia

It actually has at least as much to do with water rights and resource management.  Now that's what I wish the Rivers of London game was about!  

IIRC London Water gets very bad press in one of the sequels to Rivers of London. In part taking the blame for the activities of Peter's lay.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

It actually has at least as much to do with water rights and resource management. 

Yep, I believe that comes with urban planning (or in the case of the city of angels, unplanning).

[Edit: Or, duh-doi, GTA!]

Grand Theft: Antelope... love that game!!!!

8 hours ago, Ian Absentia said:

It actually has at least as much to do with water rights and resource management.  Now that's what I wish the Rivers of London game was about!  But, yeah.  Recognise this from Repo Man?  Or Grease, for that matter. [Edit: Or, duh-doi, GTA!]
ap_582569136085.jpg?w=1200

!i!

Was it also used in Gumball Rally? or the TJ Hooker series...

ADDENDUM: The Bay area had some odd water supplies, not so odd drainage.

San Francisco piped its water from the Hetch Hetchy reservoir near Yosemite. It fluoridates and distributes down the bay, where it provided water to Sunnyvale on the north/east of El Camino Real (while El Camino Real runs mainly north-south, in Sunnyvale it is more east-west). San Jose gets its water from the Sacramento River, somewhere near Sacramento. It does not fluoridate. It provides water the Sunnyvale south/west of El Camino Real. I blame half my crowns on living in non-fluoridated water for 30 years...

Edited by Baron Wulfraed

On 7/15/2021 at 6:28 PM, Ian Absentia said:

I know, I know.  I'm being picky.

Seems I have seen him in NY and Paris as well. So la la land is not impossible is it?

7 hours ago, Joerg said:

In part taking the blame for the activities of Peter's lay.

?

16 minutes ago, Baron Wulfraed said:

Was it also used in Gumball Rally? or the TJ Hooker series...

In a great many shows, but I doubt not in Constantine (remember him? 🙂)

17 minutes ago, Baron Wulfraed said:

I blame half my crowns on living in non-fluoridated water for 30 years...

But at least your precious bodily fluids were unsullied.

So I was visiting my daughter in East LA, we're driving along, and I pointed out this big ol' storm water culvert and she just laughed, "That's the Los Angeles River, Dad!"

Now, back to the John Wick: Hellblazer RPG, and the system that was meant for it -- Mage: the Ascension.

!i!

1 minute ago, Ian Absentia said:

Now, back to the John Wick: Hellblazer RPG, and the system that was meant for it -- Mage: the Ascension.

Thanks, I knew I could count on you to be serious!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ian Absentia said:

M:tA for a BRP/Hellblazer-ish game.

One core person and a bunch of lackeys, yes? Jajagappa pointed out how easy that would be to do with RQ the other day... a thread about using less then the normal amount of adventurers for questing. Well RQ is not that far removed from BRP. 

Ian, assuming demonology in AS is everything thefub says it is, think good ol’ BRP or possibly RoL as SunlessNick figures would be able to handle the weighty job of replacing M:tA

2 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

One core person and a bunch of lackeys, yes? 

Non, non.  That's Ars Magica, pre-World of Darkness  Plenty of people were confused and/or disappointed that Mage: the Ascension wasn't a modern-day AM, but it was probably fortunate for both games in the end.  No, M:tA was very much of it's time, replete with hastily drawn spot art from Darrell Midgette (of Macho Women with Guns fame!) featuring off-brand takes of Vertigo characters, including John Constantine with a katana.  Or something like that.

Anyway, Constantine was also very much of that time, and thus the Hollywood treatment, the Americanisation, the demon gun, etc.  But that's not bad, really.  I mean, Tilda Swinton as Gabriel!  The tar dripping off Satan's feet!  It's just not the comic Hellblazer.  But it is very World o' Darkness.  And it's kind of John Wick, too -- I'm not kidding about that.  All the bits are there in BRP and it's many spawn to pull together an occult action game.

!i!