Who is the sartarite sun god right now?

UristMcTurtle

16 minutes ago, metcalph said:

Yeas, the oddity is why a Yelmalion would have worshippers of Gargarth as his thanes.  I myself think it a slur  or comment about his thanes tactics that misread as a comment about the religion of his thanes.  Shades of the Thuggee here.

On the other hand, it also makes a kind of sense to recruit outsiders to do your dirty dishonorable work. Unlikely to be "thanes" as in the elevated social position, I would agree - more like his mercenary troubleshooters.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, metcalph said:

Yeas, the oddity is why a Yelmalion would have worshippers of Gargarth as his thanes.  I myself think it a slur  or comment about his thanes tactics that misread as a comment about the religion of his thanes.  Shades of the Thuggee here.

Make sense, also as the pro-lunar side of the conflict was called "Moon Storm", by the "righteous winders" I think it's very possible too that the yelmalion element of that rebellion is greatly exaggerated, as the name (and the importance given to the "wind walkers") suggests that in both sides the main party were Orlanth-worshippers. So it's not a Yelmalio vs Orlanth thing, but a pro-lunar Aldachuri clans vs pro-sartarite Aldachuri clans.

:50-power-truth::50-sub-light::50-power-truth:

1 hour ago, Jape_Vicho said:

Make sense, also as the pro-lunar side of the conflict was called "Moon Storm", by the "righteous winders" I think it's very possible too that the yelmalion element of that rebellion is greatly exaggerated, as the name (and the importance given to the "wind walkers") suggests that in both sides the main party were Orlanth-worshippers. So it's not a Yelmalio vs Orlanth thing, but a pro-lunar Aldachuri clans vs pro-sartarite Aldachuri clans.

Here is perhaps a far more objective and accurate description:

"Another important rebellion was in the north of Sartar, and was important because it was intratribal rather than between tribes. In 1606, many priests of the cult of Orlanth began agitating for violent expulsion of the Lunars. However, there were already established Lunar families in those tribes, and there arose lawsuits and feuds which disrupted all the north for five years. In 1611, many tribal assemblies broke up into civil disputes, and the same year in Storm Season the city of Alda-Chur was torn asunder by rival Orlanth and Lunar antagonists in a conflict called the Righteous Wind Rebellion. Harvar Ironfist, a noble of the Vantaros tribe, seized the opportunity and made himself Prince of the Far Point after his wind walking bodyguards destroyed the main Orlanthi opposition in a vicious battle in the Storm Temple. All the tribes quickly purged their ranks of the agitators, and a flood of new refugees fled southwards."

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1