Divine Intervention and Devotion

PhilHibbs

5 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

I've been reading through all of this thinking "but, do we really need to have players given this relatively cheap way out?"

I agree. My intention in starting the thread was not to make it substantially easier or cheaper. Maybe a little, but not by a big factor.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PhilHibbs said:

I agree. My intention in starting the thread was not to make it substantially easier or cheaper. Maybe a little, but not by a big factor.

Have not said a thing until now, and have only this too add. Totally agree! Divine Intervention's other name is miracle.

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

You could, of course, just use a different augmentation scale. Characteristics are traditionally on 1/5th of the scale as skills, so divide the augment by 5 and add that to the chance of success.

Additionally, you could subtract it from the POW/RP cost (minimum of 1). Or, just accept that it increases the chance of a :20-condition-fate:POP!:20-condition-fate: result by 4, 6, or 10%.

On the other side, if you fail the augment, what do you do with the -4? Clearly it reduces your chance, but if a successful augment would reduce the POW cost, then this would -4 INCREASE the POW cost. If not, then it guarantees that a DI will not destroy you by capping the loss at POW-4.

Edited by PhilHibbs

Here's a different thought. Instead of a high devotion making DI more likely and less costly, maybe a low Devotion should make obtaining DI more difficult. For instance, an adventurer might need a successful roll of Devotion (Deity) to be allowed the usual roll for DI.

• Like 2

On 9/2/2021 at 2:11 AM, Bren said:

Here's a different thought. Instead of a high devotion making DI more likely and less costly, maybe a low Devotion should make obtaining DI more difficult. For instance, an adventurer might need a successful roll of Devotion (Deity) to be allowed the usual roll for DI.

That makes sense as well.