The BRP SRD (and Quickstart) combat rules are a bit different from the Big Gold Book

KPhan2121

I was looking into the SRD and the Quick-Start Rules to give as a basic rules handout to a few of my players who haven't ever played a BRP game and I noticed that both of them don't have the defense penalty nor critical successes among other differences. It looks likes it'll be easier for newbies, but feels a bit barebones compared to the Big Gold Book. Has anyone tried running a game with just the SRD/Quickstart rules? How did it go?

You like Fading Suns? Well, I made a thing that's kinda like it!

18 hours ago, Mugen said:

The default method for breaking ties in skill oppositions, where the highest skill wins, is also problematic.

Yeah, I'd rather use the Opposed Skills Using Highest Successful Result option from the BGB.

11 hours ago, colinabrett said:

Ooops!

Critical results are listed on the Success or Failure Results table of the SRD but they aren't described in the text. I withdraw my previous comment. Sorry.

The Quick Start guide doesn't include Crits at all.

Both PDFs have the Resistance Table.

I just took a look and it doesn't contain critical successes, I think you mean special successes which are a different thing. Critical Successes in BRP occur when you roll 1/20 of a skill rating or lower.

Yeah... it looks like the neither the SRD and Quickstarter look like good entry points for BRP. I guess I'll just have to whip out my own version of the essential rules.

You like Fading Suns? Well, I made a thing that's kinda like it!

17 hours ago, KPhan2121 said:

... it looks like the neither the SRD and Quickstarter look like good entry points for BRP. I guess I'll just have to whip out my own version of the essential rules.

n.b. if you just write up (in your own words, not copypasta another (c)'ed source) the crit&fumble rules, you can edit them into the SRD.

It's the doc that explicitly exists to do this... for you to mod into your own preferred BRP game.

C'es ne pas un .sig

In fact, I doubt anyone really uses the SRD as a core ruleset.

I think most BRP fans use either a more complete version (CoC or RQG, or older ones), or a combination of multiple BRP versions, including games from the "extended family", including Openquest, Mythras and Revolution D100.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

2 hours ago, albesias said:

My first option is explaining rules at the table. A standard BRP game could be explained in ten minutes maybe

This is really important.

What I explain when using a BRP ruleset is:

• Skills are percentile based, you roll equal to or below your skill to succeed, really low rolls get better results (Except for Revolution where the tens digits needs to be higher than the units digit)
  • Your weapons do damage, your armour and parrying weapons block some damage, the remaining damage gets through and hurts you
  • Damage is either done to hit locations or as a general idea of damage (I prefer hit locations)
  • Magic really depends on the type of BRP game you are using

And, really, that's about it. Everything else is just added crunch.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here