Arroin and Kyger Litor

Kargzant

I read on the Glorantha wiki that Arroin aided Kyger Litor once. I would assume this had something to do with healing, but I don't know any more about this and I would love to know more. Trolls for the most part dislike Lightbringers, but is there some room for peace or compromise between Kyger Litor worshipers and healers of Chalana Arroy? Or does the fact that Arroin has no magic make him a special case? And what did he do for the Troll Mother anyway?

Kyger Litor may dislike the Lightbringers as a whole but Chalana is no worse than neutral with most other cults, and friendly towards Argan Argar, so I don't think there'd be much trouble between trolls and healers. Nearly everyone, even some creatures of Chaos, respects the White Lady.

1 hour ago, Kargzant said:

Trolls for the most part dislike Lightbringers, but is there some room for peace or compromise between Kyger Litor worshipers and healers of Chalana Arroy?

Arroin was not a Lightbringer.

Many deities helped and assisted each other in the God Time, after all they were not as hidebound as they are now, because they had not performed all of their acts.

Arroin was a Healing God with powers, until he was broken by Chaos and found by High King Elf. Maybe he helped Kyger Litor before that happened.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

19 hours ago, Kargzant said:

I read on the Glorantha wiki that Arroin aided Kyger Litor once. I would assume this had something to do with healing, but I don't know any more about this and I would love to know more. Trolls for the most part dislike Lightbringers, but is there some room for peace or compromise between Kyger Litor worshipers and healers of Chalana Arroy? Or does the fact that Arroin has no magic make him a special case? And what did he do for the Troll Mother anyway?

It's a one liner in the cult write up of Kyger litor (see Trollpak or wait for cults of Glorantha), it's from the god time when KL lived in the Castle of Lead in Dagori Inkarth: Kyger Litor aided Waha once, and she was once saved by Arroin the Healer. There's nothing else, it's a one-off. It's clearly after Yelm was killed (no longer in wonderhome), personally I wouldn't read too much into it. As for compromise, CA & KL are enemies on the cult compatibility chart in Cults of Prax, and Arroin is a subservient cult to CA, so counts the same. KL has access to common healing magic (Heal & Heal Wound) and Healing Trance from Xiola Umbar, so will have little need for CA.

• Like 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

2 hours ago, David Scott said:

It's a one liner in the cult write up of Kyger litor (see Trollpak or wait for cults of Glorantha), it's from the god time when KL lived in the Castle of Lead in Dagori Inkarth: Kyger Litor aided Waha once, and she was once saved by Arroin the Healer. There's nothing else, it's a one-off. It's clearly after Yelm was killed (no longer in wonderhome), personally I wouldn't read too much into it. As for compromise, CA & KL are enemies on the cult compatibility chart in Cults of Prax, and Arroin is a subservient cult to CA, so counts the same. KL has access to common healing magic (Heal & Heal Wound) and Healing Trance from Xiola Umbar, so will have little need for CA.

Correct. Arroin once saved Kyger Litor, but Kyger Litor is still an enemy of Chalana Arroy. As she is of ALL the Lightbringers. Hint - the reason is in the name.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

So taking Ash-Liege and leading him out of the scorched remains of Wonderhome does not make Hellmother's domain dark again at least half the daily cycle?

One might almost suspect that a Sunstop with Yelm bound in the sky of the Surface World would make Wonderhome inhabitable again. Or Yelm bound pretty much anywhere but Wonderhome.

From a troll perspective, Orlanth was the Lightbringer when he applied Death to the Evil Emperor. The rest of the Lightbringers managed to remove part of that light from Hell. Unfortunately, they brought it to the surface refuge of the mistress trolls and their mewling dark troll servants.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Telling how it is excessive verbis

What the Darkness would like is a place of their own, with absolutely no light. Orlanth is doubly bad, because he first sent the sun to the underworld, and when they were just prospering in the overworld (with the Greater Darkness you could say the world was turned upside down, and the surface was the new Wonderhome) he fixed it so the sun will be almost everywhere, though only half the time. From a Darkness point of view, the result of the LBQ is a clear loss, if we discount that chaos that they will always say that they were (b)eating without any need for help. 

• Like 1

Going back to the original question, that is clearly an opportunity for an interesting myth. Godtime being what it is, the first question is what Arroin is involved, the powerful healer or the broken non-magical medic. Considering troll chauvinism and availability of healing, it would be better for it to be the second case, and probably involve a magic dead area (at least one is not that far from Dagori Inkarth). That may well be a way for an Arroin devotee to become a troll-friend, at least with trolls in Dagori Inkarth, or a way for a troll to extract some healing from human healers, possibly for iron wounds.

As an outline from the troll side, KL sons foraging for food for their mother stumble on a depression where nothing lives. Desperate to find food they scout the whole area. Finally they find a chaos beast shaped as a bull or heifer Praxian beast (depending how much you wish to antagonize Storm bulls, in case you place the myth in The Dead Place, but they find their magic fails, and without their magic they cannot defeat it. When all seems lost KL arrives with her entourage looking for her missing children. She devours the beast whole, but it has spikes of death metal that wound the All-mother insides. No healing (XU may be involved if desired) seems to work in this place, and the death metal wounds do not heal naturally. Looking all over the place favoured son X (your choice who is the favored son, either an ancestor or Karrg) finds hiding in the dead area a weakling dressed in white, and remembering that is the color of healers among the weak, brings him / her back. The healer shows no fear, despite its weakness, and after discussing the situation, agrees to be swallowed by KL. Although she still suffers from heartburn, the unguents and salves of the healer take out the poison of the death metal out, and the great mother can heal again. As thanks, she spits the healer out, in case she or her children need the healer again. 

Just an example of how a throwaway sentence may become an interesting event, or a HQ opportunity. The human side of the story would probably skip the male uz part, and have Arroin, who has taken refuge in a magic dead zone, either to try to heal the Earth or to escape some enemy, meet a wounded KL. She has eaten something she should not, so Arroin courageously and selflessly accepts to be eaten to heal her from within. After he succeeds she lets him out again and they become friendly.

Depending on your take on Glorantha, and how you interpret Harmony and Life runes you could even have some R rated content. That could be a good way to cement a relationship.