Strike ranks to stand up?

Squaredeal Sten

i would have sworn that it takes 5 strike ranks to stand up (from prone) in Runequest.  but I find I cannot reference that in RQiG.

The only activities I can reference that take time in a melee round are moving erect, spell casting,  loading and shooting a  projectile weapon (5 SR to load, DEX SR to shoot)  and swinging a non-projectile weapon (based in its length+DEX & SIZ)

So you fall down in a knockback - are knocked back a couple of meters -   and you get up in no strike ranks and move to be 3m away by SR1 of the next melee round?

What am i missing?  Are all characters made of rubber and steel springs?

Edited by Squaredeal Sten
last sentence

I'd just rule it as 5, that seems the standard for miscellaneous actions. That or DEX SR if you're feeling generous, though I might go DEX+SIZ in that case since larger people have to move more weight.

3 hours ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

Hush, before the dwarves hear you! We can't risk them learning that we know how adventurers are just highly advanced Jolanti!

16 hours ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

i would have sworn that it takes 5 strike ranks to stand up (from prone) in Runequest.  but I find I cannot reference that in RQiG.

See Strike Rank Modifiers (page 193) – Additional in the Q&A

Thank for pointing out my mistake, link corrected.

2 hours ago, Baron Wulfraed said:

Us mere mortals can't use it

May be true for you, but there are others that can... Want to get involved?

Edited by Scotty
  • Thanks 1

On 2/11/2022 at 2:54 AM, Squaredeal Sten said:

So you fall down in a knockback - are knocked back a couple of meters -   and you get up in no strike ranks and move to be 3m away by SR1 of the next melee round?

Even the RAW five SRs is pretty cheap, considering what a big advantage getting your opponent on the ground should be. I would run getting up as taking an entire turn during which you can only defend (and even this is quite kind, really).

Edited by Akhôrahil

Remember, the Strike Rank system just establishes who goes first and is not a second by second list of activities. So if Vasana is knocked down by bandit on SR7, next round she can get up and attack at her weapon plus 5 SR. If it's her broadsword (SR7), she gets a strike in at SR12, if it's her axe (SR8) then she spends her turn getting up and goes next round. If she's attacked while getting up, she can parry, but an attacker gets +40% to their attack chance. 

6 hours ago, Scotty said:

Remember, the Strike Rank system just establishes who goes first and is not a second by second list of activities. So if Vasana is knocked down by bandit on SR7, next round she can get up and attack at her weapon plus 5 SR. If it's her broadsword (SR7), she gets a strike in at SR12, if it's her axe (SR8) then she spends her turn getting up and goes next round. If she's attacked while getting up, she can parry, but an attacker gets +40% to their attack chance. 

Now that would be an important ckarification: The attacker still gets that 40% while you are getting up.

But note that knockback always hsappens at SR12 as the rules are written. So it will never be at SR7.  She will always get up on 5, attack at dx+siz+ weapon SR after that, likely on 10 0r later.

8 hours ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

Now that would be an important ckarification: The attacker still gets that 40% while you are getting up.

But note that knockback always hsappens at SR12 as the rules are written. So it will never be at SR7.  She will always get up on 5, attack at dx+siz+ weapon SR after that, likely on 10 0r later.

I think it's one of these cases where it requires a bit of judgement based on statement of intent. Assuming getting up is a +5 SR action, "I get up as fast as I can and attack Boris" would take DEX SR (1) + SIZ SR (2) + Weapon SR (3) + getting up (5) = SR 11 before Barbara can be on the offense.

CASE 1

However, if Boris attacks Barbara in that same turn we may want to know if he does so before she is fully standing. In that case, We could rearrange the same equation in the following order:

DEX SR (1) + getting up (5) [SR 6, Barbara is back up] + SIZ SR (2) + Weapon SR (3) = SR 11, she now attacks Boris. Barbara is quick so she can jump back on her feet on SR 6, the same SR big and burly Boris attacks. However, she has a higher DEX than Boris so no penalty or bonus are incurred.

CASE 2

Another, perhaps simpler, way to resolve this is to consider the statement as a whole. In the previous example, Boris would benefit from Barbara being prone (or still unbalanced) up to the moment she attacks on SR 11. At that point in time, she would not suffer the penalty of being prone because she stood up before she attacked.

Barbara could have stated, "I will attack Boris before he can react and then stand up" She would then attack at half skill (DEX SR + SIZ SR + Weapon SR = 6) before Boris. Anyone attacking her before she stands in SR 11, would get +40%

She could also decide to play defensive "I will stand up and regain a defensive stance". By SR 6, she is standing and from then, no one has and advantage on her.

While it might feel strange at first, replace "getting up" by "preparing a weapon" in these scenarios leads to the same idea.

Edited by DreadDomain

8 hours ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

You're right, it is 12. My point was really about getting up pushes your next actions back.

16 hours ago, Scotty said:

Remember, the Strike Rank system just establishes who goes first and is not a second by second list of activities.

I take this point. But it seems to be slightly undermined by the missile weapon rates of fire table in the WoD at https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com/home/catalogue/publishers/chaosium/runequest-roleplaying-in-glorantha-players-book-print/cha4028-runequest-roleplaying-in-glorantha-qa-by-chapter/cha4028-runequest-roleplaying-in-glorantha-chapter-08-combat-qa-part-2/#S/MR-rates-of-fire which to all intents and purposes looks like a second-by-second list of activities.

Perhaps the key difference pertains to engaged vs unengaged participants, the missile firers being unengaged?

I'm looking for a slightly clearer way to explain things to people who can be confused by the whole Strike Ranks concept.

The cleaner way to explain might be to emphasize that the movement phase comes before the melee phase.  

Then to say that the amount if movement you do reduces and delays the amount and timing of your combat actions.

Strike ranks is these rules' method for  deciding who hits first as well as how much you can hit (in cases where you can hit more than once a round).

Edited by Squaredeal Sten
Deleting repetition; final parens.