RQ II Vikings

rust

Over on the Mongoose website I did just read that an RQ II supplement "Vikings" written by a

certain Pete Nash will be published in September. After my experiences with BRP Rome I am

almost certain that this is something I have to buy, especially if it also covers the late / post-

Viking Age somewhat (ca. 1200 +).

Which leads me to my question: Does it ?

Thank you. :)

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

Sorry Rust, the book only covers the traditional Viking period up to 1066. There simply wasn't enough space to pack as much as I wanted into it.

No serious problem, I think, it should not be too difficult to do a little research and extrapolate

a plausible development from 1066 to 1240. As I see it, the Norsemen already had a some-

what Christianized feudal society in 1066 (at least the Normans did), and the available techno-

logy did not change that much between 1066 and 1240.

Yep, count a copy as sold. :)

(Charlie Chan)

rust,

Not to critizied MRQII Vikings in anyway, but there is/was an RQ3 Viking supplment that wasn't bad, IMO one of the best of the RQ3 line, certainly the best of the non-Glorantah RQ3 products. It is probably more compatible with BRP but doesn't cover much more than MRQ II Vikings, if that.

I Have it, so if there is something in particular you'dlike to know about, ask me and I'll flip through the books. I know they had some new character creation srtuff, new ships, stuff on culture, a little history, some norise creatures, and several adventures.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

Not to critizied MRQII Vikings in anyway, but there is/was an RQ3 Viking supplment that wasn't bad, IMO one of the best of the RQ3 line, certainly the best of the non-Glorantah RQ3 products.

Thank you for the offer, I have it, and I also think that it is one of the best RQ supplements

ever published. I also have GURPS Vikings, which I consider not as good as the old Vikings

box - and I normally like the GURPS material very much.

However, after reading BRP Rome I think that Pete Nash's approach might well give his RQII

Vikings an additional edge that I would very much welcome for my setting, a certain historical

depth that the slim booklets of the Vikings box perhaps could not contain.

(Charlie Chan)

But you gotta ask: why didn't he publish it for BRP with Alephtar games. Turn away from the dark side Pete, there's still time ;D

I suppose it is a byporduct of Pete being one of MRQII'S authors. Since MRQ is going to exist, I guess it is better that there are people familar with the parent system, behind the game mechanics.

If Mongoose offered you a full time wage to write the stuff you thought was fun, what would you do?

As they say over here: "Would I do it ... is the Pope a Catholic ?" ;D

(Charlie Chan)

Tis true, and also true is that Mongoose is ( I think ) financially bigger than Chaosium with some popular lines eg MRG 1+2 , Traveller, D20. if this is how Pete makes his living he's gotta go where the money is...

It is the same reason why so many RPG authoris have written something for D&D at one time or another. THe bigger the comapny the more supplments they publish and the greater chance of getting work.

Plus, considering that Pete had a hand in the MRQ2 rules, he might even prefer them to BRP.

Not that he owes us any explanations. He can write snappy sayings for teabags in he wants to.

However, after reading BRP Rome I think that Pete Nash's approach might well give his RQII

Vikings an additional edge that I would very much welcome for my setting, a certain historical

depth that the slim booklets of the Vikings box perhaps could not contain.

Thanks for the vote of confidence!

I have to say that, due to the limited page count, the amount of space given to in-depth history is somewhat curtailed. There's more than in the RQ3 version however with a comprehensive time-line, but it is still somewhat superficial. To make up for it I go into a little more depth with society and culture.

I've also provided a number of magic systems to reflect Viking traditions, although for the sake of playability I was forced to create some artificial classifications, to avoid the woeful contradictions which plague the subject. There's a chapter explaining the oddities of Viking religion, another giving a wide range of Viking creatures with some slightly different interpretations of what they are and how to use them. In addition are the mandatory chapters for MRQ2 style character generation and Viking equipment, with a wider range of Viking ships included - which I think use RQ3 compatible ship characteristics. I also have a chapter about Viking campaign design, with fifty something plot seeds.

The book is not exclusively aimed at the pure historical game, but tailored to support a saga level or mythic level of campaign too. Its written for MRQ2 of course, but save for some of the Dwarf-made wondrous items, it should be an easy conversion. There are of course quotes from the sagas and eddas too.

But you gotta ask: why didn't he publish it for BRP with Alephtar games. Turn away from the dark side Pete, there's still time

Unfortunately for you guys I am a full time writer for Mongoose now, with a punishing work schedule. There aren't very many professional (salaried) RPG writing jobs in the world so you have to grab them when they're available! :o

So no BRP books from me for the foreseeable future.

Edited by Pete Nash

To be honest I know I'm going to buy this. Along with the RQ3 vikings pack and BRP mythic Iceland there's going to be a bevy of good norse stuff around. All we need now is a BRP translation of Mythic Russia and the Birchback Chronicles and I'd be in scandinavian BRP heaven.

It is the same reason why so many RPG authoris have written something for D&D at one time or another. THe bigger the comapny the more supplments they publish and the greater chance of getting work.

Plus, considering that Pete had a hand in the MRQ2 rules, he might even prefer them to BRP.

Not that he owes us any explanations. He can write snappy sayings for teabags in he wants to.

As long as the teabags are compatible with BRP core rules that's perfectly ok ;)

Mmm....it's a toughie, but, yes, I think after much reflection ( well 10 seconds or so ) my response would be.... Show me the money ! ;-D

Then chances are after fifteen second you'd blink twice, and say "No, really, show me the money."

As a general rule, RPG authors don't get paid much. In fact, most RPG writers have full time jobs and only write RPG stuff as a hobby. If you want to make a living off of RPGs you are much better off as an RPG publisher, or better still, a printer. The only ones who consisitently come out ahead are the printers (who get paid in advance, and will make money if the book sells or not).

The pay for authors is really atoricious, and virtually no one would do it just for the money. For an author getting a full time salaried possition is about the best you can do (Way to go Pete!). Otherwise, working in the RPG field is comperable to volunteer work.

Yes, this is what I've heard. Which does seem a shame. I suppose despite the popularity of well known brands such as D&D it's very much a niche market ( and even TSR imploded didn't they ? )

So fingers crossed for Pete at Mongoose. shame though, I'd got plans to nag him without mercy until he did a Homeric era Greek supplement along the lines of Rome...

I'd got plans to nag him without mercy until he did a Homeric era Greek supplement along the lines of Rome...

Try nagging Matthew Sprange of Mongoose to ask Pete Nash to write such a supplement for

RQ II, it would at least be the second best option. :)

(Charlie Chan)

To be honest I know I'm going to buy this. Along with the RQ3 vikings pack and BRP mythic Iceland there's going to be a bevy of good norse stuff around. All we need now is a BRP translation of Mythic Russia and the Birchback Chronicles and I'd be in scandinavian BRP heaven.

Well, since I wrote half of BirchBark Chronicles 1, I might be able to do a conversion of some of the material for Merrie England.

I'd have to check with Mark first, and then schedule it in. In any case, you can pretty much use most of the skills and spells as they are written - just decide on an effect for the spells and you're home and dry.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

How detailed is the map (assuming there's a map) that comes with this supplement?
If we're still talking about the Mongoose Vikings supplement: Moongoose does not have a good reputation with respect to maps. They are often criticised for their paucity and low production quality.

Maybe they'll set a new standard with this one, but I wouldn't bank on it before seeing it.

Steve

Bathalians, the newest UberVillians!

Yeah that's my problem having previously been exposed to Harn and Pendragon I expect my maps to be better than what I can draw on a napkin. We'll see how it goes.

You need to give us a better frame of reference. Since we have no idea of your ability to draw (either while you are on, or off a napkin) we have no way to guage your expectations.