How much do most people in Glorantha know about its mythic history? (The Spike in particular.)

Jex

So, I phrased the question generallybecause I am also interested in general answersbut there's actually one specific mythic phenomenon I'm particularly interested in for an adventure I'm writing: the Spike, the ancient mountain and possible linchpin of reality destroyed during the Great Darkness.  Because the gods and mythology in general play such an important role in Glorantha, and because the Spike was such a significant part of its mythic history, I've been most everyone in Dragon Pass has heard of it and knows the basic outline of its story.  But I'm not 100% sure I'm correct in that assumption, so I figured I may as well ask here.  Is it safe to assume the Spike is common knowledge, or is it something that the average Sartarite, for instance, hasn't heard of?

• Like 1

Hey Jex, welcome... I tried to welcome you earlier but the powers that be lost my post in transferring you here from RuneQuest forum at my request. Oh well. I hope you enjoy your visit and even decide to stay after your writing is done. Speaking of which, I hope you have a great time writing your JC tome. Got to ask, what is your final goal with this?

Yes, you are quite correct... it was the centre of the fabric of reality and central (in oh so many ways) to the beliefs of all the homelands of the Core Rule Book. (possibly not Lunar Tarsh, but it used to be before the coming of the Empire, and if not central to Prax I would assume it was well known as a great piece of it sits on the praxian savannah imprisoning the devil)

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Thanks 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

I agree with Bill, but I'd also say the average Sartarite probably can't talk about it in extreme detail.  I suspect they can say that it was the center of reality before the Darkness, and a few other lines from various religious ceremonies, but that they have a much deeper understanding of things like "Who is Orlanth and what did he do?"

As an analogy, most American Christians have heard of the Garden of Eden, but I suspect most don't know the names of the rivers in it off the top of their head.

• Like 4
  • Helpful 1
  • Thanks 2

For the purposes of my adventure, it's not important that the average Sartarite knows in great detail what the Spike was and what happened to it, as long as they've heard of it and know it was important.  Sounds like that is indeed the case.  Thanks.

Oh, as far as my final goal with this... well, I've been wanting to write adventures and supplements for various game systems for a long time, and have a ton of projects I started but never got around to finishing, so when I found out about the Write Your First Adventure workshop from an email from Chaosium, I decided to sign up for the workshop in the hopes that having the structure and deadline would give me the motivation to actually finish something.  So my immediate goal is to finish and publish an adventure, but I hope that actually getting something published will also give me the boost I need to start finishing some of my other projects, and that this will be the first of many.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

For every pantheon the entry of Chaos into Glorantha is a major theme. That inevitably leads to the explosion of The Spike in the Gods War. The Gods War forms the frame work of most of the most epic of a given deity's mythic deeds and therefore their Runes, portfolio, and abilities within the framework of Time.

So it would seem to me that The Spike [and the destruction thereof] is known by most worshipers about as well as the Garden of Eden is to Abrahamic monotheists. The Spike was the axle of the world and your deity's dogma describes it in individual ways, all of which could be literal truth or allegory. But nobody, not even HeroQuesters, knows for sure.

Well, perhaps certain Mostali do.. Isidilian of Dwarf Mine is specifically said to have lived in the God Time before the destruction of the World Machine so he could probably tell you... good luck getting that interview 😁

Oh, and welcome to the board, Jex.

Edited by svensson
  • Like 2

Some cultures do not consider the spike important (such as Dara Happa Solars, and probably other Northern peoples, including most westerners, which are actually Northwestern), and others consider that some pet enemy destroyed the spike, and that allowed chaos in, so not everyone thinks that chaos caused the destruction of the Spike. Most have early myths about the residence of the old gods, but they are mostly focused on the current gods, and if Chaos is not so important to you, the spike and its destruction will not be important

The spike is very important in Dragon Pass, as it was just south of it, and it is most of what we know about Glorantha, but it is not all.

• Helpful 1

The Spike or at least some high valleys on its flank was the ancient homeland of the people of Orlanth. The Downland Migration created their sedentary pastoralist culture.

("It wasn't all bad, but we left.")

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

3 hours ago, JRE said:

The spike is very important in Dragon Pass, as it was just south of it, and it is most of what we know about Glorantha, but it is not all.

A very helpful post, but has Dragon Pass moved, was it once bigger, or is it now “just north” of Magasta’s Pool/the centre of Glorantha? I am confused — as usual!

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST

I think Gloranthans knowledge of the past would be far better than our world, at least in cultures which summon their ancestors during high holy day ceremonies. I mean, we all have a vague idea of what Egyptian Pharaohs were, but what if you could talk to Ramesses every year for a few hours, to ask questions which help your understanding? 

There's an example of ancestors being summoned in "Orlanth is Dead", to find out what has happened, and the ancestors give some very useful hints based on their experiences.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Jex said:

but there's actually one specific mythic phenomenon I'm particularly interested in for an adventure I'm writing: the Spike, the ancient mountain and possible linchpin of reality destroyed during the Great Darkness.  Because the gods and mythology in general play such an important role in Glorantha, and because the Spike was such a significant part of its mythic history, I've been most everyone in Dragon Pass has heard of it and knows the basic outline of its story.  But I'm not 100% sure I'm correct in that assumption, so I figured I may as well ask here.  Is it safe to assume the Spike is common knowledge, or is it something that the average Sartarite, for instance, hasn't heard of?

How many people in our world know the story of the Garden of Eden and the Tree of Life?

This is pretty core to most myths: the world tree, the world mountain, the axis mundi.  Sartarites will know that there was a world mountain.  The Storm Gods were born there (or Umath was) and descended from the Spike (Orlanth's Discovery Band).  

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

How many people in our world know the story of the Garden of Eden and the Tree of Life?

This is pretty core to most myths: the world tree, the world mountain, the axis mundi.  Sartarites will know that there was a world mountain.  The Storm Gods were born there (or Umath was) and descended from the Spike (Orlanth's Discovery Band).  

Agreed. The Spike is a universal myth and the basic story is known to everyone - the world was held up by a Cosmic Pillar, Mountain, or Tree. That's where the Old Gods of the Celestial Court lived. Chaos destroyed the Spike and that is what destroyed the world, The world is now held together by the Cosmic Compromise, as there is no Spike holding up the Sun Dome anymore.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1