Last Patch of the Syndic's Ban

Adam K. Nedman

So I've been reading through the Guide to Glorantha, and I had a question about the Syndic's Ban—and specifically when (and if) it's finally completely over for good.

The map on page 201 shows that as of the year 1621, there are four areas still under the Syndic's Ban.  A sidebar on page 228 describes when the Ban is lifted from three of those four areas: the lands west of Samita Lake in 1624, Xemstown in 1625, and Charg in 1628.

But what about the fourth area—a smallish patch of land north of Tastalar?  Is it specified somewhere in the Guide when (or if) the Syndic's Ban is lifted from that area, and am I an idiot and I missed it?  Or is that information available somewhere else?  Or is that something that's just never been specified?

Furthermore, is there any information as to what's in that area (aside from what can be inferred from its surroundings)?  The map seems to show a city there, at least...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adam K. Nedman said:

But what about the fourth area—a smallish patch of land north of Tastalar?  Is it specified somewhere in the Guide when (or if) the Syndic's Ban is lifted from that area, and am I an idiot and I missed it?  Or is that information available somewhere else?  Or is that something that's just never been specified?

Furthermore, is there any information as to what's in that area (aside from what can be inferred from its surroundings)?  The map seems to show a city there, at least...

Home to the Third Eye Blue

The
highlands of the region, from whence the
Third Eye Blue people first came, are still cut
off by the Ban.

Guide p232

No indication on when it gets freed from the Ban.

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, metcalph said:

Home to the Third Eye Blue...

Well now, that's a big huge plot arrow!

Were they somehow "extra targeted" by the Ban -- did it hit harder there, and thus not get dispelled?  Have they embraced & reinforced it, perhaps as an extra layer of protection/hiding from the Mostali?  etc...

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

4 hours ago, g33k said:

Well now, that's a big huge plot arrow!

Were they somehow "extra targeted" by the Ban -- did it hit harder there, and thus not get dispelled?  Have they embraced & reinforced it, perhaps as an extra layer of protection/hiding from the Mostali?  etc...

Perhaps this is where the Ban was enacted by the death of the God of Silver Feet.

It's the ancient homeland of the Third Eye Blue, as opposed to their modern center in the Brass Mountains of Carmania.

I did some development of this area for my current campaign, it was the setting for the climactic adventure for Fire Season, 1627 in that game.  For our purposes I decided that the Ban dissolved around the area over Sacred Time 1626-1627.  I theorized that when the Ban first rose, it trapped Third Eye Blue pilgrims from the Brass Mountains come to visit the ruins of the old homeland plus the Uncoling and settled Fronelans who regularly came to trade with those.  Over the decades of the Ban these people formed a composite community that built a new walled settlement on the site of the Third Eye Blue's original city.  They'd grown to a few hundred individuals by the time the Ban lapsed.  I named the settlement, both the modern one and the ancient site, Pikungo after Piku, the leader of the Zaranistangi offshoot who settled in Fronela and became the Third Eye Blue at some point after their people first lost the Red Sword of Tolat.

I made Pikungo the resting place of one of the three Weapons of Talor for my campaign as well.  My players visited  to earn the Weapon, and ended up helping to command the community's defense against an expedition from the Kingdom of War.

Edited by dumuzid
  • Like 2