RuneQuest 1990's

David Scott

I was looking the Hobby Games RuneQuest products list in the MIG3 and came across these two great covers from 1992 and 1993:

image.jpeg.562fc92f323950e992346fd45956ff33.jpegimage.png.2650c0805f0a8f7c9a0ca40491d62a5e.png

Interesting alternative renditions of Argrath, Jar-eel and Harrek!

The first is Hobby Games reissue of their 1988 RQ3 book, while the second is a world guide for the first.

• Like 6

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

40 minutes ago, soltakss said:

I think that anime art suits Glorantha really well

I’ll see if I can get Mr Yano’s VIP illustrations from the Japanese edition of “A Rough Guide to Glamour” into wider circulation. One of these days…

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Nick Brooke said:

I’ll see if I can get Mr Yano’s VIP illustrations from the Japanese edition of “A Rough Guide to Glamour” into wider circulation. One of these days…

I'll get in touch with him at some point, maybe for Hahlgrim's War.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

5 hours ago, David Scott said:

I was looking the Hobby Games RuneQuest products list in the MIG3 and came across these two great covers from 1992 and 1993:

image.jpeg.562fc92f323950e992346fd45956ff33.jpeg

The first is Hobby Games reissue of their 1988 RQ3 book, while the second is a world guide for the first.

RuneQuest 90s is not a reissue of RQ3, but a different game with a simplified system and a real focus on Glorantha.

Edit : a google translation of the wikipedia text about this game.

https://ja.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ルーンクエスト

"RuneQuest '90s is an original tabletop RPG Japan based on RuneQuest and created by Reio Katsura. It was released by Hobby Japan in 1992 as an A4 edition book. RuneQuest Nineties is a game that aims to be a simplified version of RuneQuest, and although the game system is based on basic role-playing, complex elements such as strike rank and fatigue are removed, and cult-based templates are effectively character classes, making them good rules. It is a game with a theme of playing adventures related to the heroic war (a war that is predicted to occur in the Dragon Pass region of the Growlanser world), and the setting of the game's adventures and the player's character's region of origin are almost limited to Dragon Pass. In addition, since the game treats "hero cadets who can play an active role in the heroic war" as player characters, it is possible to create heroic characters that are much easier to go on adventures than the original "RuneQuest"."

Edited by Mugen
  • Like 2
  • Helpful 3

15 hours ago, David Scott said:

these two great covers from 1992 and 1993:

The Japanese covers come in two flavours: "cheesy anime awesome" and "dark anime painting awesome". You can see them all here, and @Runeblogger has written an article about them back in 2017 with many pictures. I mentioned those in issue 30 of the Journal of Runic Studies.

Edited by Lordabdul
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

On 1/1/2023 at 10:31 AM, David Scott said:

Interesting alternative renditions of Argrath, Jar-eel and Harrek!

Harrek? I see no moustache. Oh, actually that grey chap near the top left might have a 'tache but it's hard to distinguish.

image.png.b8851dd05f7f39ceefec4c614259e255.png

Edited by PhilHibbs
  • Like 1