Nunnery, Monastery & Old Saint's Road

kara

Is there any information available on the Nunnery, the Monastery and the Old Saint's Road that links them. They are in northeastern Sartar, near Toena Fort.

I think that the Nunnery is related to the Sisters of Mercy of Chalana Arroy.

But the Monastery?

And who was that Old Saint?

Any thoughts? Or anything official?

• Like 1

The Monastery could be a dojo perpetuating some orthodox mystical martial arts from the EWF era. Certified dragon-free, I suppose, not at all like that Red Dragon School away in Ormsgone Valley. Possibly set up by Godunya to teach the Third Council by example after they strayed from the draconic orthodoxy of the Long Mountain Dragon School.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

6 hours ago, kara said:

Is there any information available on the Nunnery, the Monastery and the Old Saint's Road that links them. They are in northeastern Sartar, near Toena Fort.

I think that the Nunnery is related to the Sisters of Mercy of Chalana Arroy.

But the Monastery?

And who was that Old Saint?

Any thoughts? Or anything official?

https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com/cult-membership-in-sartar/

this indicates the Nunnery is of Chalana Arroy, which crushes my dreams of Gloranthan Qowat Milat (below: the only male Qowat Millat ever to exist). Side note: if you aren't watching Picard, you're missing some of the best Star Trek and best television ever made.

Qowat Milat : r/stocostumes

Edited by Qizilbashwoman

Yes, I remembered reading that link, thanks. I was wondering if there's ever been anything else mentioned on the three places.

Because of the road linking them and the similar names, I feel there should be a connection. So who would be at the Monastery as the Nunnery is CA?

Some means of defence as per Joerg's martial arts? A place for hidden Lhankor Mhy sorcery experiments?

As the names are so different from the norm a semi-hidden hangover from the Second Age seems plausible.

As for Picard, I thoroughly enjoyed the first two series but unfortunately do not have access to the third.

Just now, kara said:

Yes, I remembered reading that link, thanks. I was wondering if there's ever been anything else mentioned on the three places.

Because of the road linking them and the similar names, I feel there should be a connection. So who would be at the Monastery as the Nunnery is CA?

Some means of defence as per Joerg's martial arts? A place for hidden Lhankor Mhy sorcery experiments?

As the names are so different from the norm a semi-hidden hangover from the Second Age seems plausible.

As for Picard, I thoroughly enjoyed the first two series but unfortunately do not have access to the third.

I would suggest the Monastery would be a wizardry-affiliated thing. Perhaps they are a remnant of Brithini warrior-caste training without the associated religious beliefs: given the idea of group isolation, maybe it's a uniquely-flavored training site for Humakti.

Monastery

This complex of artificial caves dates to the Empire of the Wyrms Friends. It is believed that draconic mystics resided here. It is considered the “male” counterpart to the Nunnery because of the prominent male figures depicted in the stonework. In the Third Age, these caves often serve as shelters for herders or bandits. 

Nunnery

This complex of artificial caves dates to the Empire of the Wyrms Friends. It is believed that draconic mystics resided here. It is considered the “female” counterpart to the Monastery because of the prominent female figures depicted in the stonework. It has been home to the Sisters of Mercy since the Second Age. It also serves as a minor temple to Chalana Arroy.

Old Saint’s Road

This route starts at the Monastery, winds through the hills to the Nunnery, and then through Battle Valley and on to Jarolar Keep. The remnants of this First or Second Age road can be seen in the hills, but little more than stones remain in Battle Valley. It gets its names from the broken statues of long-forgotten holy people that litter the route between the Nunnery and the Monastery. The Red Vireo Clan of the Culbrea Tribe herds their cattle and sheep in the hills east of the road.

• Like 4
  • Helpful 5
  • Thanks 1

On 2/18/2023 at 5:30 AM, Joerg said:

The Monastery could be a dojo perpetuating some orthodox mystical martial arts from the EWF era. Certified dragon-free, I suppose, not at all like that Red Dragon School away in Ormsgone Valley. Possibly set up by Godunya to teach the Third Council by example after they strayed from the draconic orthodoxy of the Long Mountain Dragon School.

On 2/18/2023 at 9:04 AM, kara said:

Maybe both are not dragon-free at all but actually secretly sanctioned and even affiliated with the Red Dragon School away in Ormsgone Valley (please tell me more, not aware of this) and the Red Dragon Servant in Karse?

Possibly the Scholar Wyrm, Windwhistler, Eyes-Shut and Forang Forash are all interested in seeing the EWF be rejuvenated and the Monastery and Nunnery are places where this is being pursed?

Curious if Argarth has pays visits or has extensive discourse of some sort with these characters and or the schools and monasteries?

Red Dragon Servant (of Krisa Oraba, of Dragon Pass) Martial Arts Band which had come to Dragon Pass from the Far East. • Manifestation. 3 • Strength. 5/10 • Powers. Meditate Skill, Sword Combat Talent (W5); Refute Attack Talent (W5), Strike Dead with Sword Talent, Avoid Attack Talent, Heal Self Talent. • Worshippers. 2,000 • Location. Large monastery in Karse, Heortland; Smaller temple in Tarsh, with dojo outside of Furthest; many worshippers presumably far overseas. • Secrets. Devotional martial arts. • Connections: Are a part of the Draconic orders. (Arcane Lore p.41)  This was discussed as maybe having numbers of about 20-50 in Karse and Notchet with 10-20 in Tarsh and Furthest IIRC?

Please list sources or thoughts on both the Red Dragon School in Ormsgone Valley and the Long Mountain Dragon School?

1 hour ago, Erol of Backford said:

Red Dragon Servant (of Krisa Oraba, of Dragon Pass) Martial Arts Band which had come to Dragon Pass from the Far East. • Manifestation. 3 • Strength. 5/10 • Powers. Meditate Skill, Sword Combat Talent (W5); Refute Attack Talent (W5), Strike Dead with Sword Talent, Avoid Attack Talent, Heal Self Talent. • Worshippers. 2,000 • Location. Large monastery in Karse, Heortland; Smaller temple in Tarsh, with dojo outside of Furthest; many worshippers presumably far overseas. • Secrets. Devotional martial arts. • Connections: Are a part of the Draconic orders. (Arcane Lore p.41)  This was discussed as maybe having numbers of about 20-50 in Karse and Notchet with 10-20 in Tarsh and Furthest IIRC?

Have a look at the Mystic Martial Arts in the East isles supplements on Jonstown Compendium. There are loads of things that could be reshaped into EWF/Kralori Martial Arts, as well as Martial Arts for non-humans

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

1 hour ago, Erol of Backford said:

Please list sources or thoughts on both the Red Dragon School in Ormsgone Valley and the Long Mountain Dragon School?

The Long Mountain Dragon school was based on the teachings of Ingolf at Nodnor along the Black Eel river near Imther. As I noted in my Edge of Empire JC work, there is speculation that the Imther Mountains are/contain the Long Mountain Dragon, but that is just speculation and rumor. There is no existent Long Mountain Dragon school as of 1625 - whatever there had been was destroyed in the wars against the EWF before the Dragonkill.  Whether the Dragonrise stirs up something latent remains to be seen.

• Thanks 1

Aggar has a few possible EWF remnants. The City of Ten Thousand Magicians had been ravaged by its former uz student from Yolp, but somehow survived. Possibly the anti-dragon alliance considered that troll raid sufficient to cleanse the draconic taint (and more importantly, grab all the valuable plunder).

The city might have had a short troll occupation - not really comparable to Old Pavis, but possibly some similarities. Plus there is that prophecy...

Ormsgone Valley is the logical place for any mystics attempting to harmonize with the Red Dragon and its dream. Karse may be an outpost and possibly a recruitment center. The school might actually be inside the dragon's dream. The Green Dragon is too recent to have any EWF attachment, and even more so for the Brown Dragon Lair beneath the devoured New Lunar Temple. Ormsfang in the Rockwoods might have something. If the Black Dragon of Cliffhome has anything, Cragspider will have acquired that.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

I assume there is nothing but bandits and trollkin occupying the caves now at both locations. Possibly some mostly destroyed sculpture or wall freeze give clues to Nodnor and one or more of the Dragon Quartet: Scholar Wyrm, Windwhistler, Eyes-Shut and Forang Forash need to be consulted regarding it?

Rune Quest Adventures 02 had the Dragon of Jarn in it which could easily be tied into any related scenario path... they'll need to go see Mr. Forash.

image.png.3d98e7b272576a474463567000de2ba9.png

Who are the "Saints" that adorned the road, just curious?