Suggestions for a Duck banner

Shiningbrow

I bought the ducks from the Kickstarter by MadKnight (along with others).

My painter would like to know what should go on the banner (and what the 3 round balls atop the banner are).

So, does anyone have any good - original *- ideas for it?

(not original ideas would be a Death Rune, or an Air/Storm Rune... or a combination of them).

I have two thoughts... neither of which are sensible because I really don't like ducks at all

(1) Two crossed dead ducks on a field of dead ducks (from Blackadder)

(2) In my childhood, nearly every elderly person had three china ducks flying on the chimney breast... I'd vote for this one cos if you like ducks ...at least they are alive

3 ducks on wall.jpg

• Like 1

The "Sartar Rune" aka "Greg Rune" -- :20-god-sartar:
(most Ducks are loyal Sartar citizens)

Death rune would be specifically for any specifically-Humakti Ducks... but (despite lack of originality) would be the only one I'd go for in depicting Humakti ... of any species.

Air/Storm would similarly be Orlanthi-specific, but I'd only favor the Air/Storm rune for Rune Lords and Rune Priests -- those who've dedicated their lives to their temple or the Cult more broadly; most Orlanthi marching under a banner would IMHO be showing the banner of their family, or their liege.

Accordingly, I'd invent family banners for notable & noble Durulz.  As "most Ducks are loyal Sartar citizens," I expect many of these would raise no eyebrows if presented as human-Sartarite banners...  Images of weapons, shields, monsters, etc.  Fewer than half, IMHO, would have identifiably "Durulz" imagery.

That said -- castles are where human nobles retreat when an invading army approaches, and castle features are common heraldic elements.

Ducks vanish into the marsh, so Google "icon for marsh or wetland"

Edited by g33k

C'es ne pas un .sig

6 hours ago, narsilion said:

Three golden eggs (or feathers?) in a blue field

Azure, three roundels, 1, 2, or

(assumes the "eggs" are stacked

... could also be "in bend" -- diagonal)

per bar, argent and azure, three roundels in base or

(silver sky, blue water, three golden orbs}

Then again, this is coming from the mind that came up with:

vert, a unicorn rampant inverted argent, on a chief argent 3 roundels 1,2 vert

as a sort of challenge from an SCA room at a gaming convention. Someone asked if one could have a juggling unicorn as a device and basically was told "if you can describe in heraldic language". I took it to an extreme (though never tried to see if an SCA herald would pass it)

unicorn.png.860b8f8c51c68f14ff7f9af7e077e861.png

Unicorn standing on its head juggling three balls with its hind legs

Edited by Baron Wulfraed

6 hours ago, Nozbat said:

I have two thoughts... neither of which are sensible because I really don't like ducks at all

(1) Two crossed dead ducks on a field of dead ducks (from Blackadder)

(2) In my childhood, nearly every elderly person had three china ducks flying on the chimney breast... I'd vote for this one cos if you like ducks ...at least they are alive

3 ducks on wall.jpg

I know many people don't like ducks because of how they were originally brought into RQ - as comic relief.

However, I got past that and treat them as any other species... especially as RQ has made attempts to redefine other species that were brought in, such as Aldryami and Mostali (not longer just D&D or Tolkien variants).

And, we have anthropomorphic other creatures (newtlings, morocanth), so ducks should be seen as no different.

6 hours ago, Rob Darvall said:

The Bird, Argent

on a field, Vert

surmounted by a Chief, Or

with three eggs, Gules

Being 'defiance in the swamp surmounted by the golden hope of survival as a people'.

Typically, the blazon starts with the field and works up to the charges laid over the field. Don't know if "eggs" passes as heraldic. Since a chief, by definition, is the top portion of the shield/whatever I don't think "surmounted" adds anything. "with 3 eggs" is ambiguous -- on the chief, randomly scattered? I'd probably blazon that as:

Vert, the Bird (I'm presuming you mean a particularly hand gesture), Argent
on a Chief Or, three eggs, Gules.

{I'd probably change the chief to a base -- making it a nest of eggs... Base Vert, eggs Or [golden eggs on grass]; need to rework the field and "bird" to avoid color on color... field argent, bird gules... bright sky with a angry red "bird"}

• Like 2