RQG Shaman using RQ6 Animism?

Elements Warden

On 4/24/2023 at 2:44 PM, Elements Warden said:

Has anyone used or know if RQ6/Mythras Animism will work easily with the RQG system?

I didn't really get it when I read it.

On 4/24/2023 at 2:44 PM, Elements Warden said:

I'm new to RQ and my group is starting RQG. I really like the Animism in RQ6 and want to use it so any help would be great.

You might want to tie it in to Shamanic Abilities, especially getting better stuff the higher your Shamanic Ability is.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

On 4/24/2023 at 3:44 PM, Elements Warden said:

Has anyone used or know if RQ6/Mythras Animism will work easily with the RQG system?

I'm new to RQ and my group is starting RQG. I really like the Animism in RQ6 and want to use it so any help would be great.

Thanks

It will just bolt on. Trance and Binding are derived skills, so no problems. Just be sure not to mix it up with the RQG rules

• Helpful 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

On 4/25/2023 at 11:35 PM, David Scott said:

It will just bolt on. Trance and Binding are derived skills, so no problems. Just be sure not to mix it up with the RQG rules

Which is exacty my most common problem as a GM: I have played RQ3 from 1991 to 2010; Call of Cthulhu (3rd to 6th editions) from 1988 to now; Stormbringer (3rd edition) from 1989 to 1993; RuneQuest6/Mythras from 2013 to now; RQG from 2018 to now (and some other BRP derived games). 
Sometimes i mix up the BRP rules in my head... Mythras combat and RQG combat and spirit magic are the most common. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/25/2023 at 4:47 AM, SDLeary said:

IIRC, you would have to import the skills, but I don't see why it couldn't. In world, it might not stack up well to RQ:G native Spirit Magic, or the other magics.

SDLeary

Probably very difficult. Lots of issues but fundamentally RQG works as a "POW economy" where you sacrifice POW and regain it in order to gain benefits while RQ6/Mythras works with your POW as a limit and threshold; you don't sacrifice and rebuild POW, you use it a bit like a storage tank. RQG (like RQ2/3) also has an economy of magic items that you can use to enhance your abilities while Mythras (largely) doesn't.

Full disclosure, I was one of the co-authors who wrote the long articles on animism in RQ6 (as was). I love the system but it did feel a bit like grappling with quantum mechanics at times. Obviously in a house campaign you just do whatever floats your boathouse but I would find trying to add it to the RQG mechanical structure more problems than it is worth. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, deleriad said:

Probably very difficult. Lots of issues but fundamentally RQG works as a "POW economy" where you sacrifice POW and regain it in order to gain benefits while RQ6/Mythras works with your POW as a limit and threshold; you don't sacrifice and rebuild POW, you use it a bit like a storage tank. RQG (like RQ2/3) also has an economy of magic items that you can use to enhance your abilities while Mythras (largely) doesn't.

Full disclosure, I was one of the co-authors who wrote the long articles on animism in RQ6 (as was). I love the system but it did feel a bit like grappling with quantum mechanics at times. Obviously in a house campaign you just do whatever floats your boathouse but I would find trying to add it to the RQG mechanical structure more problems than it is worth. 

Question. Did you also work at all on the AiG document? And if so do you know if Animism was changed/modified for a better fit Before Things Changed?

SDLeary

On 4/30/2023 at 3:53 PM, SDLeary said:

Question. Did you also work at all on the AiG document? And if so do you know if Animism was changed/modified for a better fit Before Things Changed?

SDLeary

No, that was Pete and Loz. I did come up with an adaption of folk magic to Gloranthan spirit magic but I forget whether that was used in AiG - I would have to dig out my copy of AiG. I got asked, as a thought experiment, to come up with an adaptation of theism to Gloranthan rune magic. Apparently it got criticised by Chaosium for being too much like HeroQuest which, I thought, was the point. Must admit to getting a bit salty about that 🙂

Although I admire the content that Chaosium has put out for RQ Glorantha, Mythras is my preferred flavour of D100. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/30/2023 at 9:21 AM, deleriad said:

While I prefer Mythras Magic systems over their RuneQuest counterparts, I agree there's no reason to port it in RQG.

RQG Spirit and Rune Magics are not broken, and I must say I miss POW economy a lot in Mythras. And although the way Folk Magic works makes perfect sense to me, I also miss the variable cost spells from RQ Battle/Spirit/Common magic.

Possible exceptions would be Mysticism, which has no equivalent, and Sorcery, which IMHO retains too much from RQ3 to be interesting. But even for these, a good amount of re-write would be needed.

Edited by Mugen
  • Like 1