Importing newer BRP rules into RQG?

Beoferret

Now that the updated version of BRP has been out for around a month now, are any of you planning on utilizing any of the rules its outlines in your Runequest games (whether that means just adding things or actually switching rules out)?

E.g., personally, I'm considering bringing in the rules for "closing" in combat. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Beoferret said:

Now that the updated version of BRP has been out for around a month now, are any of you planning on utilizing any of the rules its outlines in your Runequest games (whether that means just adding things or actually switching rules out)?

No, I have no plans to do so.

2 hours ago, Beoferret said:

E.g., personally, I'm considering bringing in the rules for "closing" in combat. 

I have been using a version of "closing" (and "opening" the distance, to counter) since 1980.  😉

C'es ne pas un .sig

No, although I did use Superworld powers as the basis for heroquest boons in the '90s. Budget points were determined by the the success of the quest (and could do down as well as up).

• Like 3

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

Of course! Sort of... The truth is when it comes to BRP there is always a sibling ready to come to the rescue when you need another or different rules. I have a short list of house rules for RQG. Some are cosmetics or minor and a number are literally lifted or inspired for BRP, Stormbringer, Call of Cthulhu or RuneQuest. So not necessarily BRP:UGE but they somewhat relate:

1) I like to introduce a Hard success (CoC) or Difficulty level (BRP). I find it useful to frame difficulties (uh that's going to be hard) but also for opposed rolls, it gives an extra layer of level of success.

2) Speaking of opposed rolls, when a tie does not make sense, the highest roll wins (BRP p.113).

3) I like what Luck points from CoC brings to the table. So, Luck Roll and Luck Points based on POWx5 seems like an easy steal. A Luck roll is different than a POW roll (and I rename the POW roll, wait for it, a Power Roll). Alternatively, I could use Fate points (BRP p.115).

4) Movement rules (BRP p.21) offers multipliers for various paces, but I have been using x2 for running and x4 for sprinting since RQ3.

5) Replacing Slashing special damage by the Bleeding special damage has been on my mind for a while. Still on the fence.

6) I prefer the Crushing special damage from BRP because it avoids the trap of if you have no damage modifier, a special does nothing for you. I also like to tag the Knockback special effect to it.

7) When it comes to spot rules, I like the options that Grappling p.42 are bringing.

8)' Aimed Blows, like Aimed Attacks p.140, is difficult (at half-skill) but does not move the action to SR 12. Obviously the same goes for Knockout.

9) Weapon Length and Closing (forgetting the confusing entries p.145 and only using the entry on p.156).

10) A character fatally wounded dies at the end of the next melee round, which works like Fatal Wound (p.146) but was not necessarily inspirer by it.

As you can see most "BRP-inspired" house rules are not necessarily BRP UGE specific and they are fairly benign when it comes to game play.

Edited by DreadDomain
  • Like 2

On 5/6/2023 at 9:24 PM, smiorgan said:

I'm tempted to import the simpler attack vs. defense matrix.

Your post inspired me to split my post! One of the worst aspect of RQG is the attack/defense charts IMHO as the special cases baked in the matrices do not really enhance game play but instead make the matrices difficult to remember.

My biggest house rule is just a streamlining of the attack/defense matrices. The streamlining makes it work more or less like it is described in the RQ Quickstart. It is not quite like the BRP matrix but somewhat like it, it is a comparative result matrix.

Parry

• Replace attacker’s results of Critical Attack vs Normal Parry by “Attacker does maximum special damage.”
  • Replace defender’s results of Critical Attack vs Special Parry by “Defender’s parrying weapon takes damage over its HP, with same amount of damage going to adjacent hit location.
  • All mentions of "adjacent hit location" replaced by "affected hit location"

Dodge

• Replace attacker’s results of Critical Attack vs Special Dodge by “Attacker does normal damage.”
  • Replace attacker’s results of Critical Attack vs Normal Dodge by “Attacker does special damage.”
  • Replace attacker’s results of Special Attack vs Normal Dodge by “Attacker does normal damage.”

EDITED TO ADD:

In a nutshell:

• A normal Parry, parries some of the damage but does not lower the Attack success level (a normal attack remains a normal attack, a special remains a special, etc.)
  • A special Parry, parries some of the damage and lowers the Attack success level by one (a normal becomes a miss, a special becomes a normal, etc.).
  • A critical Parry parries some of the damage and lowers the Attack success level by two (a special becomes a miss, a critical becomes a normal).

• A normal Dodge lowers the Attack success level by one
  • A special Dodge lowers the Attack success level by two
  • A critical Dodge lowers the Attack success level by three
  • In other words, on exact success, a Dodge trumps the Attack

A defense cannot lower an Attack any further than a miss (attacks fumble only if they roll a fumble).

Edited by DreadDomain
  • Like 8