M-Space VS The Big Golden Book

Old Man Henerson

1 hour ago, Mugen said:

@Old Man Henersonan average fighter with a broadsword deals 1d8+1d2 damage in Mythras, versus 1d8+1+1d4 in BRP.

But it's hard to compare when Mythras characters don't have general Hit Points.

And hard to compare where a Mythras Special Effect may affect the results of a combat exchange in a way that differs from simple Hit Point attrition.  In Mythras there are more explicit ways to win a fight than simply reducing an opponent's HPs to zero.

!i!

Edited by Ian Absentia
  • Like 3

carbon copy logo smallest.jpg  ...developer of White Rabbit Green

18 hours ago, Ian Absentia said:

And hard to compare where a Mythras Special Effect may affect the results of a combat exchange in a way that differs from simple Hit Point attrition.  In Mythras there are more explicit ways to win a fight than simply reducing an opponent's HPs to zero.

!i!

There are in BRP and too. Disarms, called shots to head to knock out, attacking to break weapons. The problem is with implementation. Nobody in a fight wants to put themselves at greater risk, and so they tend to play it safe and avoid attempting  things that reduce their chances of success. The nice thing about specials are that they are freebies.

• Like 4

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

20 hours ago, Mugen said:

@Old Man Henersonan average fighter with a broadsword deals 1d8+1d2 damage in Mythras, versus 1d8+1+1d4 in BRP.

But it's hard to compare when Mythras characters don't have general Hit Points.

19 hours ago, Ian Absentia said:

!i!

I was planning on using the Big Golden Book and M-Space together for the game so I can always just use BGB rules and weapons if I need to do so. I am not too worried about any big differences.

• Like 2

On 6/18/2023 at 5:46 PM, RosenMcStern said:

However, all of these points are addressed in Revolution D100's implementation of conflicts. And you can apply these solutions to M-Space, too, or even to core Mythras task rounds with a minimum of creativity. You don't need  much tweaking of the rules, given that the context is really generic and does not use complex variables.

Yes, Revolution D100 is a more complete take on extended conflicts. M-SPACE, Odd Soot and Comae Engine all go for a  more rules-lite approach. Combining elements from both sounds cool!

• Like 2

1683589267_frostbyteloggaFsvarttiny2.jpg.22ebd7480630737e74be9c2c9ed8039f.jpg   FrostByte Books

M–SPACE   d100 Roleplaying in the Far Future

Odd Soot  Science Fiction Mystery in the 1920s

• 3 months later...
On 6/9/2023 at 11:54 AM, Baron said:

I like and play BRP, although I won't look at the new edition. I'm quite happy with what I have.

To me, the new edition offers some real advantages, even to the BGB crowd...  And the Mythras crowd !

Shiny new books always get more attention; specially with internal color art.  So it's likely to increase the player pool... possibly by a LOT.

1st ORC-licensed book released; again, I see this as an attractor, likely to increase the pool of players.

I've started seeing hype-threads online, for new BRP-based RPGs...

I fully-expect to see some new RPGs based upon Mythras Imperative (just re-released under ORC license!), in due time!

Edited by g33k
  • Like 4

C'es ne pas un .sig