Nochet - Queen of Cities - NOW AVAILABLE IN PRINT

RandomNumber

This JC contribution is magnificent.

It honours the best traditions of the RQ2 Pavis boxed set and is absolutely chock-full of game-ready detail for sandbox play in Esrolia. I don't buy JC hardcopies as shipping to Australia is prohibitive but I will break the rule for this once it's available. My congratulations to the author (if he hangs out here). I'd love to see something of this depth and quality for the main cities in Sartar. 

Edited by Nick Brooke
  • Like 4
  • Helpful 2
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, RandomNumber said:

It honours the best traditions of the RQ2 Pavis boxed set and is absolutely chock-full of game-ready detail for sandbox play in Esrolia. I don't buy JC hardcopies as shipping to Australia is prohibitive but I will break the rule for this once it's available. My congratulations to the author (if he hangs out here).

Yes, I certainly do hang out here! And thanks! 🙂 

• Like 3

Nochet, Queen of Cities by Harald Smith. A phenomenally detailed, beautifully presented sourcebook for adventures and campaigns set in the Queen of Cities. Nochet is a sprawling ancient metropolis, and this 280-page book brings it vividly to life. After an introduction and overview, the main body of the text (over 150 pages) describes ten major districts of the city, including what local residents and outsiders make of it, prominent personalities, local legends, an overview of the many neighbourhoods in each district, and specific details for practically every building shown on the city map. The book is lavishly illustrated with well-chosen public-domain artwork of ancient cities and temples, for the most part, and comes bundled with a set of high-resolution maps. The last sixty or so pages introduce several established Houses of Nochet that could serve in various roles for adventurers in the city, whether as patrons, kin, allies, rivals or villains; a roster of common city-folk, complete with personalities and catchphrases; a detailed system for generating random events by hour, day, week and season; more than 400 rumours; and a playable outline for the Lunar siege of Nochet, laden with adventure hooks and event tables. It is quite impossible to conceive of anybody running a game in Nochet without referring to this rich, lovingly-crafted and eminently play-centred resource. ($24.99 for 280 pages)

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Mordante said:

I'd buy this if it was available in print. 

They can't offer it in print, yet.

DTRPG requires it to "prove" itself on the market, first.

It's a process; but given the speed at which it progressed through Copper and Silver best-seller statuses, that process is advancing speedily.

• Like 2

C'es ne pas un .sig

Nochet City deserves to be seen as the Lankhmar of Glorantha. I mean, obviously it's absolutely its own place, packed with Minoan queens breasting boobily rather than emaciated black-toga'd patricians, but that's just flavour text. It's a wretched hive of scum and villainy, a cosmopolitan hub for trade across the lozenge, the shining jewel in the broken crown of Kethaela, and a prime target for usurpers, ravagers and buccaneers of all flavours. Get in there!

• Like 5

On 7/26/2023 at 11:05 PM, John Hall said:

This book sounds so amazing, you may get me to put aside Call of Cthulhu and try RuneQuest if for no other reason than to justify buying this book!

Glorantha is an amazing setting!

I highly-commend the boxed "Starter Set."

It has enough robust & meaty content that -- even though I already owned the full slipcase-set of the core rules -- I grabbed the Starter Set for all the wonderful content unique to the box.

C'es ne pas un .sig

I've been curious about Esrolia for a long time but never had the time or inclination to fill in the blanks based on the references in Gloranthan lore and RQG material.  Nochet squashes that problem for me. With the forthcoming release of the Earth Goddesses book, this part of Glortantha now opens up like a blooming Jang flower. My players may not know it yet but they will be going to Esrolia. I'm looking forward to recreating the fun we had as schoolboys in the long, summer holidays exploring Pavis and Thieves World.

On 7/25/2023 at 8:26 PM, Malin said:

I bought this book yesterday and just finished reading it. Great stuff, and an incredible amount of detail! The best friend/enemy rules are inspired, and I will absolutely use that idea myself.

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it (and particularly the Cast of Characters section - that was a lot of fun to put together, and it worked very well in my personal campaign to get people "grounded" in the city).

On 7/27/2023 at 1:35 PM, Nick Brooke said:

Nochet City deserves to be seen as the Lankhmar of Glorantha. I mean, obviously it's absolutely its own place, packed with Minoan queens breasting boobily rather than emaciated black-toga'd patricians, but that's just flavour text. It's a wretched hive of scum and villainy, a cosmopolitan hub for trade across the lozenge, the shining jewel in the broken crown of Kethaela, and a prime target for usurpers, ravagers and buccaneers of all flavours. Get in there!

Yes, definitely all of the above! 

• 3 months later...
On 7/23/2023 at 10:05 PM, jajagappa said:

Yes, I certainly do hang out here! And thanks! 🙂 

Hi... Nochet is going to be my first JC POD order 🙂. I'm visiting the UK next year and can avoid the hefty shipping charge to Australia.  Some JC POD's have a premium color option.  Will that be on offer for Nochet? Thanks.

1 hour ago, RandomNumber said:

Hi... Nochet is going to be my first JC POD order 🙂. I'm visiting the UK next year and can avoid the hefty shipping charge to Australia.  Some JC POD's have a premium color option.  Will that be on offer for Nochet? Thanks.

No, premium colour would be an unduly expensive format for Nochet: I would only ever recommend it for books with lots of gorgeous original internal colour artwork, and even then it’s strictly optional. For the Queen of Cities, standard (cheap) colour is fine.

My Australian friends find the shipping rates affordable, though: might they look less hefty if you ordered multiple printed books in one shipment?

• Nick Brooke changed the title to Nochet - Queen of Cities - NOW AVAILABLE IN PRINT
5 hours ago, Nick Brooke said:

No, premium colour would be an unduly expensive format for Nochet: I would only ever recommend it for books with lots of gorgeous original internal colour artwork, and even then it’s strictly optional. For the Queen of Cities, standard (cheap) colour is fine.

My Australian friends find the shipping rates affordable, though: might they look less hefty if you ordered multiple printed books in one shipment?

Thanks Nick - very helpful.  I shall order the standard book and perhaps some others for delivery in the UK.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RandomNumber said:

Nice upsell, BTW.  I see what you did there 😄

Nobody's accused Mr. Brooke of being stupid!

A treacherous Lunar proselytizer, out to conquer your conscience and your bank account, sure.  But not stupid!

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

Congratulations for getting the Nochet Adventures Guide https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/460904/Nochet-Adventurers-Guide-RuneQues supplement out in PDF.  I look forward to seeing it, too, in hard copy.  It is the kind of thing that really needs to be in hard copy.  I am tempted to print out my PDF, but all those pages will suck my printer dry. 

43 minutes ago, Nick Brooke said:

It’s a hefty tome…

And looks wonderful there! 

3 minutes ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

Congratulations for getting the Nochet Adventures Guide

Thanks! 

3 minutes ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

I look forward to seeing it, too, in hard copy.  It is the kind of thing that really needs to be in hard copy.  I am tempted to print out my PDF, but all those pages will suck my printer dry.

I think you can anticipate that, so no need to run down your printer. There will be some new cover art as with Nochet: Queen of Cities. 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

• 4 weeks later...