Attacks per round

tooley1chris

EDITED

Does anyone see a major problem allowing multiple attacks per round when your weapons skill is NOT greater than 100% and instead of a minimum of 50% per attack, the skill must be equally divided among each attack? 

Just seems more realistic. I might not be a expert knife fighter but bet I can get 2 swipes in by sacrificing accuracy.

Thoughts please?

Edited by tooley1chris
  • Like 2

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

My Magic World projects page: Tooleys Underwhelming Projects

39 minutes ago, tooley1chris said:

Does anyone see a major problem allowing multiple attacks per round when your weapons skill is NOT greater than 100% and instead of a minimum of 50% per attack, a minimum of 50% of THE SKILL TOTAL per attack? 

Just seems more realistic. I might not be a expert knife fighter but bet I can get 2 swipes in by sacrificing accuracy.

Thoughts please?

Personally, I like that there is an extra benefit to mastering a skill to the 100%-and-better level.

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

Anyway, Dividing your attack is a bit of a trap option in modern BRP rules, IMHO.

In the current BRP rules, You divide your attack chance by 2, while your opponent keeps his whole parry skill on his first parry attempt, and he may suffer a 30% malus on his second if you succeed both attacks.

Of course, you have a tiny chance to hit twice, but you also have greater chance to not hit at all.

RQ2 and RQ3 rules were very different, as you also had to divide your parry skill to parry both attacks.

Maybe you can assign two actions per round, usually one attack and one parry. Any additional action suffers a cumulative -30% (or 20%). So you can attack twice at full value but if you have to defend you do it at -30%. Or you can attack twice, one at full percentage, one at -30%, and defend once at full, and maybe a,second time but at -60.

Edited by el_octogono
  • Like 1

Check my Lobo Blanco - Elric RPG (now in english!)

On 10/12/2023 at 3:58 AM, el_octogono said:

Maybe you can assign two actions per round, usually one attack and one parry. Any additional action suffers a cumulative -30% (or 20%). So you can attack twice at full value but if you have to defend you do it at -30%. Or you can attack twice, one at full percentage, one at -30%, and defend once at full, and maybe a,second time but at -60.

My solution is to put a cumulative malus after 1 action and 1 reaction.

However the malus from actions applies as soon as they are declared, while the malus from reactions only applies to folliwing rolls.

Say I declare 3 attacks. All 3 will be affected by 2 cumulative maluses.

If I'm parrying three times after these 3 attacks, the first parry will suffer he same 2 maluses as the attacks, while the second and third will have respectively 3 and 4 maluses.

The reason why I wanted to give a malus on all actions is because I had a terrible experience in a game where there was no "cost" in doing multiple actions except a cumulative malus. As a result, the GM rolled every attacks he could, even those that had less than 1% chance to occur due to the malus. It was boring...

I also think Star Wars D6 worked like that...

Edited by Mugen
  • Like 2

On 10/9/2023 at 12:26 PM, tooley1chris said:

EDITED

Does anyone see a major problem allowing multiple attacks per round when your weapons skill is NOT greater than 100% and instead of a minimum of 50% per attack, the skill must be equally divided among each attack? 

Thoughts please?

That's what Pendragon does. But then, Pendragon eschews attacks and parries and instead uses an opposed roll to determine who "wins" and does damage to the opponent, making splitting skill risky as it could lead to taking more damage.

As far a BRP goes the biggest worries I'd have over slotting attacks below 100% would be with unexpected magical or situational skill boosts, or multiple attacks on the run. For instance a mounted PC with Sword 60% could do an attack on the run attacking a half dozen opponents at 5%+10% height advantage (15%) as he rode by.  But then a person could do that in real life. 

EDIT

Oh wait, what about missile weapons? Would you be okay with someone armed with a pistol (or anticipating what you might want this for, a laser pistol) firing off a half dozen shots in a round at some minimal percentage?

Speaking of which, you probably want to have a minimal percentage, say 5% or even 10% for each attack to prevent someone from doing something cheap like taking an AR-15 and splitting 20% into twenty attacks at 1% each. 

Edited by Atgxtg

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

9 hours ago, Atgxtg said:

That's what Pendragon does. But then, Pendragon eschews attacks and parries and instead uses an opposed roll to determine who "wins" and does damage to the opponent, making splitting skill risky as it could lead to taking more damage.

As far a BRP goes the biggest worries I'd have over slotting attacks below 100% would be with unexpected magical or situational skill boosts, or multiple attacks on the run. For instance a mounted PC with Sword 60% could do an attack on the run attacking a half dozen opponents at 5%+10% height advantage (15%) as he rode by.  But then a person could do that in real life. 

EDIT

Oh wait, what about missile weapons? Would you be okay with someone armed with a pistol (or anticipating what you might want this for, a laser pistol) firing off a half dozen shots in a round at some minimal percentage?

Speaking of which, you probably want to have a minimal percentage, say 5% or even 10% for each attack to prevent someone from doing something cheap like taking an AR-15 and splitting 20% into twenty attacks at 1% each. 

They would still be limited by the weapons rate of fire per round. 1,2,3, or burst

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

My Magic World projects page: Tooleys Underwhelming Projects

On 10/9/2023 at 5:26 PM, tooley1chris said:

EDITED

Thoughts please?

I'm experimenting with BRP combat using Action Points - in this case, because of genre emulation, 3 for heroes (including NPC heroes) and 2 for everyone else. If you want to use all those points for attacks (at full skill) you can, but then you can't use them for parry or dodge or non combat actions. Seems to work fine so far.  

• Like 1

On 10/15/2023 at 9:29 AM, Simulacrum said:

I'm experimenting with BRP combat using Action Points - in this case, because of genre emulation, 3 for heroes (including NPC heroes) and 2 for everyone else. If you want to use all those points for attacks (at full skill) you can, but then you can't use them for parry or dodge or non combat actions. Seems to work fine so far.  

I designed a long time ago a system that mixed "action points" and initiative.

Basically, the idea was that your Initiative roll was also your "Action points" pool. Each Action and Reaction cost you Initiative points. You could act every time the current Initiative count was equal to your Initiative total. Reactions were usually cheaper than Actions, and you could use "quick" versions of Actions and Reactions, with lower Initiative costs.

@GianniVaccaused it for the amateur version of its Imperial China game, but removed it from the professional product.

It was very similar to what you can see in Revolution D100 complex combat system.

It's also very similar to Feng Shui, but I read it after I designed the system.

• Like 1