Clockwork & Chivalry - Renaissance Deluxe differences

Merioch

Are there any differences between the two books rulesystem wise? My guess is that the Clockwork & Chivalry book contains all the rules that are in Renaissance Deluxe plus a wealth of information about the setting. But I would like to know for sure before I buy any of them.

Also, did anyone order any of the books in POD format from drivethrurpg? If so, how is the quality and durability of them? Is hardcover or softcover a better/more durable choice?

Thanks.

Yep, one is more the rules for running a game in the black powder era whilst Clockwork adds the English Civil War as its main setting as well as the rules needed to play. You can also get the SRD for free to try out the rules before you buy which is handy. As for DriveThru I've had a few P.O.D's from them and they have been fine so far quality-wise as for soft or hardback I'm not sure honestly, softback might be a bit sturdier for table play I guess. I have a softback edition that I throw into my work bag and is pretty beat up by now but it's still intact and it's still useable it just looks a little worn and dog-eared cover-wise.

• Like 3

What @Butters said...and..

Clockwork & Chivalry is ECW with a bit of a twist.. its an alternative history were there are Royalist Alchemists (Cavaliers) fight against the Clockwork Engines of the Roundheads.. an interesting milieu but wouldn't be my choice.

I prefer the Renaissance Deluxe and/or Black Powder of the gritty real world and am considering either a 30 years war campaign or as I have long been planning a Hanse campaign stretching through generations. But everyone's choice is different, so see what fits with your ideas. Renaissance Deluxe is very adaptable to all ideas. I also recently got Renaissance:1520 which is an excellent sourcebook for the Holy Roman Empire. My German partner and @Joerg tell me I am over-assimilating with German history and that I need to stop it (Just finished a 2 year CoC 1920 Berlin Campaign). But the HRE is vast has lots of different nations and excellent source material.. so I don't listen. Mythic Russia is also an excellent source book and if you can get your hands on Mongoose's Stupor Mundi (Frederick II Hohenstaufen), I'd recommend that too. (Just checked, neither is available on DriveThru, so I think you need to look for second hand copies)

I have both the hardback and softback PODS (both bought with PDFs) from DriveThru and can honestly say I prefer the softback versions. I stick a plastic dust-jacket over the soft backs to keep them in reasonable order. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Nozbat said:

My German partner and @Joerg tell me I am over-assimilating with German history and that I need to stop it (Just finished a 2 year CoC 1920 Berlin Campaign). But the HRE is vast has lots of different nations and excellent source material.. so I don't listen. Mythic Russia is also an excellent source book and if you can get your hands on Mongoose's Stupor Mundi (Frederick II Hohenstaufen), I'd recommend that too.

Me calling somebody else out for taking a too deep dive into a setting would be a pot calling a kettle black (Glorantha, cough).

The HRE is a fertile source for conflicts and a weird non-centralistic setting.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

Thank you @Butters and @Nozbat. I think I'm going to buy the Clockwork & Chivalry book. Though I'm not sure if the setting of Clockwork & Chivalry will be to my liking, I find it a nice extra for almost the same price as the rulesystem only Renaissance Deluxe. Even if I won't use it in my games (or not as is written) it will be a nice showcase of how the rules can be used with a Renaissance era setting and I can mine it for ideas for creating my own setting. I guess that having the extra setting material in it won't make it much harder or fiddlier to use it as a rulebook either.

Also, thank you for sharing your experience with the different POD versions. I also find it that books with glue binding last longer in softcover format so I will go with that. And it's also cheaper which means that I can buy more from the same budget.

About Renaissance: 1520 I read a great review here on the forums by @StevenGEmsley so it's definitely on my list of books to buy in the future. By Mythic Russia you mean this book @Nozbat? It's also available in PDF as well if anyone's interested. And if you have any other historical (or mythical) source material recommendations, please let me know. I know it's a Renaissance forum but I'm also interested in early medieval and ancient history sources as well.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Merioch said:

By Mythic Russia you mean this book @Nozbat? It's also available in PDF as well if anyone's interested.

That's the one I meant. It is written for HeroQuest but it has lots of information that is useful if you are interested in the incursions of the Northern Crusades into the Baltic and Rus riverlands.

I found the Codex Guides to the Medieval Baltic (volumes 1 & 2) very useful for background material and a whole host of more academic and historical books that are too many to mention

Merrie England is also an interesting setting.. England from 1122-1247 featuring Robin Hood. I'm not sure its still available @soltakss?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Nozbat said:

I found the Codex Guides to the Medieval Baltic (volumes 1 & 2) very useful for background material and a whole host of more academic and historical books that are too many to mention

The Codex Guides to the Medieval Baltic are already on my wishlist but it's nice to see that you recommend them as well. Have you read Orbis Mundi 2 from Phalanx Games Design? If yes, I'd like to hear your opinion about that as well. With so many good source material out there it's so hard to decide where to start and what to buy first.

15 hours ago, Nozbat said:

Merrie England is also an interesting setting.. England from 1122-1247 featuring Robin Hood. I'm not sure its still available @soltakss?

I checked and it's available on DriveThru though only in PDF format.

• 3 months later...

There’s an upcoming Design Mechanism book, which while not Early Modern real world is based on a north Low German Hanse city. I’m not sure who the authors are but if it’s in a similar vein to @Alex Greene excellent Fioracitta, based on a Renaissance Italian City State (and not on some delicious artisan Tuscan bread)… it’ll be worth investing in. Whether you favour the Mythras rules or a BRP derivative, it’ll be easy to convert.

Not sure what the timescales are for publication maybe @lawrence.whitaker could update us?

7 hours ago, Nozbat said:

There’s an upcoming Design Mechanism book, which while not Early Modern real world is based on a north Low German Hanse city. I’m not sure who the authors are but if it’s in a similar vein to @Alex Greene excellent Fioracitta, based on a Renaissance Italian City State (and not on some delicious artisan Tuscan bread)… it’ll be worth investing in. Whether you favour the Mythras rules or a BRP derivative, it’ll be easy to convert.

Not sure what the timescales are for publication maybe @lawrence.whitaker could update us?

This weekend.

• Like 2

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

On 3/6/2024 at 3:13 PM, lawrence.whitaker said:

This weekend.

I'm not getting impatient to spend my money or anything like that... but... the weekend is almost over

40 minutes ago, Nozbat said:

I'm not getting impatient to spend my money or anything like that... but... the weekend is almost over

Not until Monday 12AM GMT.

• Sad 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

The Book of Schemes is now available on DTRPG, by the way.

Guelden is a fun little place to romp around in. I'm sure you're going to adore The Book of Schemes, not least because the first part of it is all about, well, schemes.

Mechanisms for scheming, Machiavellian intrigue, and general shenanigans behind the scenes are some of the most fun activities to GM, and to play. And this is true of any Mythras setting - Fioracitta, Guelden, Mythic Rome, Mythic Constantinople.

Book of Factions.

Luther Arkwright.

• Like 3

Author of Fioracitta for Mythras and the 2d6 SFRPG setting of Castrobancla.