[RetroQuest] RetroQuest

icebrand

Ok, our house rules evolved to the point we weren't playing BRP anymore... So we picked up GORE, added all our rules (all 3 of them) and then beat the crap out of it, until most things were gone.

core-web.jpg

Here's RetroQuest, a lean, clean system, with minimal (really, HP only) bookkeeping, few (less than 15!) basic skills and some more advanced skills.

Combat is deadly and fast, and all the slow things from BRP are gone. Also, the languages implementation is probably the best thing on the game.

Its only 27-pages long (22 if you take out license, cover and index), so you can check it out realy fast!

And the best part is... NO WEREWOLVES!!! Guaranteed!!!

http://basicroleplaying.com/download...do=file&id=413

Coming soon:

• A magic book (with wizards, shamans and clerics!!!)

• A creatures book (warning: may have werewolves)

Also, if you prefer an HTML version: https://sites.google.com/site/rqadventures/ (probably outdated!)

I'd love to have some feedback from you guys!

PS: F**K WEREWOLVES!!!

Edited by icebrand

"It seems I'm destined not to move ahead in time faster than my usual rate of one second per second"

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You might also want to announce this on the Other RPGs board on the Dragonsfoot forums. People there are into this type of thing, you know. :)

Just deleted it. Will see if i re-upload it after we finish our GM stuff, posting at gringles atm. Triffle, mind deleting the thread?

"It seems I'm destined not to move ahead in time faster than my usual rate of one second per second"

Looks good, very slim. But the download link does not seem to work ..

Down till i get back home. Hopefully i would be able to upload version 1.1 with no BS modifiers for combat (just +30 / -30 or nothing)

I was wondering... was this the RetroQuest that has werewolves?

Looks good.

Rod

Nono, its WEREWOLF-FREE!!! (or your money -and limbs- back)

THIS is the RetroQuest with werewolves!!!

Creatures-web.jpg

Coming soon... Any full moon now!!!

There's WAY too much to this system. Too many B.S. rules. I'm using the rock-paper-scissors with best 2-out-of-3 for all combat. I'm tired of all this ridiculous rolling of dice and looking at numbers foolishness. If you need something more "detailed" than rock-paper-scissors, you might as well be playing D&D 4E.

My avatar is the personal glyph of Siyaj K'ak' a.k.a. "Smoking Frog."

There's WAY too much to this system. Too many B.S. rules. I'm using the rock-paper-scissors with best 2-out-of-3 for all combat. I'm tired of all this ridiculous rolling of dice and looking at numbers foolishness. If you need something more "detailed" than rock-paper-scissors, you might as well be playing D&D 4E.

PFFF!!! Rock paper scisors!!! HA!!! Real men flip coins, what do you need 3 tiers for? My players cant handle the math on R-P-S

PFFF!!! Rock paper scisors!!! HA!!! Real men flip coins, what do you need 3 tiers for?

Three tiers, two tiers ...? - I am the referee, there is only one option, to obey

my every word, with swiftness and kindness, or else ! >:>

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

Three tiers, two tiers ...? - I am the referee, there is only one option, to obey

my every word, with swiftness and kindness, or else ! >:>

That is a two tier system. :P

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

A few ideas:

-What about using a Pendragon-like solution for handling damage ?

Instead of a damage bonus, you might give each character a base damage value (based on STR+SIZ for melee, and DEX for ranged), then modify it according to the weapon size (for instance, -2 for small weapons, +2 for 2 handed ones).

-I don't really see the point in having both Spot and Listen skills in such a simple game.

-I'm also not really fond of having a Dodge skill. In my view, dodging is one of the things you learn when you get experienced at melee combat.

That is a two tier system. :P

Only in theory, no one ever contemplates the other option.

In my campaigns I always have a spaceship full of cows in a low orbit. Whenever

someone shows the slightest sign of disrespect, the spaceship launches a cow,

which unerringly hits the character in question - RIP.

As Roosevelt said, always talk softly, but have a cow in orbit. B-)

(Charlie Chan)

Don't have a cow, man.

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

Only in theory, no one ever contemplates the other option.

In my campaigns I always have a spaceship full of cows in a low orbit. Whenever

someone shows the slightest sign of disrespect, the spaceship launches a cow,

which unerringly hits the character in question - RIP.

That's one way to cow your players into behaving. ;D

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

I like rolling dodge into your weapon skill for melee combat, but I think you still need a dodge score for things like jumping out of the way of rolling boulders, leaping clear of wild horses/charging chariots, and the like. Footwork where you step just off line to avoid a blow (and perhaps step into your opponent to stab him) is really a different sort of creature than jumping clear of some big menace to save your hide. I like to think of the former as "changing location to attack from a better position" and the latter as "getting the hell out of the way while you can."

Guest Vile Traveller

[...] I think you still need a dodge score for things like jumping out of the way of rolling boulders, leaping clear of wild horses/charging chariots, and the like.

I'd be happy with a DEX roll for that kind of thing. I admit I've ne'er liked Dodge, even though I invented it for our house rules to replace Defence (RQII, 1983).

I'd be happy with a DEX roll for that kind of thing. I admit I've ne'er liked Dodge, even though I invented it for our house rules to replace Defence (RQII, 1983).

Yes. If you're going to have something like Agility = DEX x 5 as a percentage, then Dodge as a skill just to jump away from things might be expendable.

I normally use both DEX x 5 and Dodge, with DEX x 5 as the innate ability to re-

act and Dodge as a trained skill. Agility is used in everyday situations, for exam-

ple getting out of the way of a chariot coming down the road, Dodge in the more

complex situations which require some judgement to understand that one should

get out of the way and which way one should take.

(Charlie Chan)

Combat skills would be:

Archery

Dodge

Melee

Unarmed

Throw

If we take dodge out... Maybe unarmed should go the way of the dodo too? Or perhaps replacing dodge with "defense" (dodge+parry)? Problem with that is people with high % at defense that don't actually know how to fight...

Still, using only the melee or unarmed skill makes sense... Maybe -30% to parry missiles if you don't have a shield (since dodging them is harder than crouching under a shield), and -30% to parry weapons with unarmed (since an unarmed character is at a severe disadvantage against an armed one)

I can't find the linothorax rules.

Ha! Because for that you need to *BUY* the special linothorax edition!!! You thought we were gonna unveil the linothorax for free?