Durulz & Death

g33k

So, we know the Durulz are inherently "death-y" and show up with more Humakti than one would expect from your random bunch of Donald & Howard wannabe's.

What about some other "Death-y" cults?  Lookin atchu, Magasta, with your :20-element-water::20-element-water: alongside your :20-power-death:...

But also, Urox got that :20-form-beast: + :20-power-death: thang goin' on.

And of course, everyone knows the Ducks are only "small" because so much of their mass is stuck in the chip on their shoulder... so the whole vengeance-y aspects of Babeester Gor should appeal to (at least some) Durulz.

Now, obviously Humakt "owns" :20-power-death:... in some ways Humake is :20-power-death:... so I see him being the most-apt for the  :20-power-death:drake  schtick.
But what of those other gods?

Aren't they (at least some of them) also likely to pick up a few more Ducks than one would expect, simply because of the Durulz' runic affinity?

Edited by g33k
  • Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

12 minutes ago, g33k said:

What about some other "Death-y" cults?  Lookin atchu, Magasta, with your :20-element-water::20-element-water: alongside your :20-power-death:...

Even more so than Magasta are his son, Wachaza, and his net/slave Robber. And Tskanth is another death-wielding water deity.

6 hours ago, g33k said:

Lookin atchu, Magasta, with your :20-element-water::20-element-water: alongside your :20-power-death:...

Far too big for the little Durulz, in my opinion, although coastal Durulz might have a different opinion.

6 hours ago, g33k said:

But also, Urox got that :20-form-beast: + :20-power-death: thang goin' on.

Some people say that Durulz call Storm Bull Storm Bill, but I never have that in my games. So, Durulz can worship Storm Bull.

6 hours ago, g33k said:

And of course, everyone knows the Ducks are only "small" because so much of their mass is stuck in the chip on their shoulder... so the whole vengeance-y aspects of Babeester Gor should appeal to (at least some) Durulz.

Maybe, but female Durulz don't seem as petty, mean, and vengeful as males, for some reason. Maybe they are and I am doing them a disservice.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

11 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Even more so than Magasta are his son, Wachaza, and his net/slave Robber. And Tskanth is another death-wielding water deity.

I like the idea of working more Water into the mix. As a pantheon they definitely seem like the poor relation to their Air/Sky/Dark/Lunar companions. I expect this is in a large part a function of time and attention of course, but I wonder, did Greg and Jeff et al. grow up in a landlocked state? It certainly doesn't feel like they have the sea in their bones given its tangential role to everything else going on.

Edited by Ynneadwraith
  • Like 1

maybe more river / lake than sea I think ?

Engizi seems apropriate, as he is in the Orlanth (and local) pantheon but not a "big" death god that's sure. Heler maybe too

As I see Durluz (in Sartar) as sartarite like others (from a cult perspective I say) and as they are near undead, I would be surprised to meet a lot of others deities than Humakt if they want to serve a death god (of course one may be inspired by some horible abyssal god). For me there are Bab's sisters if Durluz worship Ernalda (I don't know by the way)

If we are talking about Durluz in Esrolian coast / rivers, we will probably find more deities from Air and Sea pantheon, maybe even dark pantheon, thanks to Belintar

• Like 1

On 3/12/2024 at 12:08 PM, jajagappa said:

I think we just need to wait for the Sea cults book.

I hope so! For me, coming from a country so steeped in maritime traditions (the UK), it feels as though Glorantha is sorely in need of cultures with a maritime geographical perspective. Where places and things are connected by the sea (or rivers), not separated by it. It is land that is the barrier, not water.

There's plenty of opportunity! I hope it isn't just Mer-people gods for Mer-people. Too 'othering' for my tastes.

Apologies, this is probably getting a little off topic.

20 hours ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

As I see Durluz (in Sartar) as sartarite like others (from a cult perspective I say)

Do we know the history of the Dragon Pass ducks? Were they part of the same migration that brought the rest of the Sartarites in, or a parallel migration from a different place (or even survivors of the Dragonkill War).

Depending on the answer, they could be:

• Sartarite through and through
  • Sartaritised culture layered atop something older, giving some regional quirks to their cultural practices
  • Barely Sartarised at all, with most of their cultural practices remaining the same, just rebranded

Ducks were part of the inhuman occupation of Dragon Pass i.e. they survived in the area after the Dragonkill War. Humans came back about 150 years later (Glorantha Sourcebook p10). 

The Bestiary says "Duck culture approximates the Orlanthi culture that has surrounded them since Time began"

The Durulz have been a tribe of Sartar since 1492.

and Duckpac is a wonderful source of (Jonstown compendium level canonical) info, 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Ynneadwraith said:

For me, coming from a country so steeped in maritime traditions (the UK), it feels as though Glorantha is sorely in need of cultures with a maritime geographical perspective.

Well, the 2nd Age had the practical, empiricist, brutal British Middle Sea Empire, but some bugger blew us it up.

Spoiler

Any suggestion that the Yanks think that by sinking us they can sink the worst of the traits they share with us would be totally unfair. It reeks of magical thinking, and there is no room for that in Glorantha. 😉

• Like 1

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST